I want a new camera, what about sony a55?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

1Cy

Sep 5, 2011
i can get a very good deal on a Sony alpha a55.

I have been interested in photography for a while but never really done anything about it, and am looking for a good entry level dslr.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this camera and what your thought might be on it.

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
I have been interested in photography for quite awhile, just considering getting started as well. Best of luck to you.
What I want is a Nikon d7000. suppose to be AWESOME. almost to the pro level. a kit runs about 1000-1250 online. has amazing reviews by the pros. That is what I am holding out for. also, i don't know a lot about it so I want to take the classes/workshops that Nikon puts on. I will have to drive to Chicago to take it but who better to teach you about your camera.

Again, best of luck.

1Cy

Sep 5, 2011
What I want is a Nikon d7000. suppose to be AWESOME.

This is definitely a good camera, but MUCH more than what i would be paying for the a55. Everything I have have researched has said that in the entry level range of dslrs this camera is right there.

Anyone have other thoughts about it?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
i can get a very good deal on a Sony alpha a55.

I have been interested in photography for a while but never really done anything about it, and am looking for a good entry level dslr.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this camera and what your thought might be on it.

I'd recommend any Nikon model from D90 down for a beginner. Get it with or without whatever zoom lens package they're selling but also get Nikon's cheaper 50mm f1.8 fixed lens (not much more than $100). That's the best value lens for a beginner to use. Your indoor photos will look much better than other people spending a lot more than you using the zoom lens packages they bought and you won't have to use flash so you can snap away indoors and at museums without annoying people.

Jun 20, 2010
Personally i would stay away from sony when it comes to cameras. Ive had cannon and sony point and shoot cameras. Ive also messed with Cannon and Sony cameras for photo shoots. Without a doubt for the best use camera id go with a Cannon or Nikon. They just seem to be a cut above the rest. As a guy with a house full of sony electronics i would still have a Nikon or Sony, just seem to work better and take better pictures. Thats one mans opinion though.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
I believe the Sony a55 can use all of the old Minlota AF lenses just like my a200 can. If so, that right there makes it a great starter camera.

I picked up my Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for $30 and a Sigma 24mm f/2.8 for about $100.

cyclon

Nov 26, 2006
I purchased the Sony a33 about 9 months ago. The big advantage to this camera is the speed between shots (up to 7 a second) and the HD video quality. The picture quality is very comparable to any entry level NIKON or Cannon. The only downside in my opinion is the electronic view finder as opposed to an optical one. All in all I would recommend this camera for entry level. Lens are also cheaper for Sony because the image stabilization is built in to the body not each lens.

1Cy

Sep 5, 2011
I believe the Sony a55 can use all of the old Minlota AF lenses just like my a200 can. If so, that right there makes it a great starter camera.

I picked up my Minolta 50mm f/1.7 for $30 and a Sigma 24mm f/2.8 for about $100.

you are right, it definitely can use the minolta AF lenses.

1Cy

Sep 5, 2011
I purchased the Sony a33 about 9 months ago. The big advantage to this camera is the speed between shots (up to 7 a second) and the HD video quality. The picture quality is very comparable to any entry level NIKON or Cannon. The only downside in my opinion is the electronic view finder as opposed to an optical one. All in all I would recommend this camera for entry level. Lens are also cheaper for Sony because the image stabilization is built in to the body not each lens.

I've also herd that (the internet would lead me to believe the same thing) that the entry level nikons actually use the sony cmos sensor. I know the sensor isn't everything, just thought it was interesting.

Also getting the less expensive lenses is a plus since this is my first camera, and I would be using it to learn and to see if photography is something i DO in fact like to do.

The electric viewfinder also makes me a little nervous, but i think this is offset the by the good deal that i would be getting, plus i do like the information it can tell me while taking a photo. Not that i travel a lot but i do like the built in GPS the a55 has for tagging my photos as well.

I dont know much about what makes a goog lens good, but i did figure from my hunting optics knowledge that the glass can make all the difference, and its good to know the same can be true here.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm no expert but my opinion on cameras is stick with actual camera companies (Nikon, Canon, Olympus) and stay away from electronics companies that decided to get into the camera business. (Sony, HP, Casio)