9-52
9-93
8-103
2-20

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Hmmm...Just guessing that they have a common opponent? :jimlad:

Either we bring out the best in the other team or somebody has it out for us.

I tried posting the most basic, factual and unbiased way to show we're getting the shaft, but I'm sure the usual suspects will defend us getting blatantly screwed.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I still can't believe Woody's TD and the tuck rule play were overturned. WOW

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
I tried posting the most basic, factual and unbiased way to show we're getting the shaft, but I'm sure the usual suspects will defend us getting blatantly screwed.

It would be even more interesting (and worse for us) if you did a study of the calls as the game was being decided.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I still can't believe Woody's TD and the tuck rule play were overturned. WOW

Yeah, it's ********. I'm a huge home for sure, but when even the announcers are on your side it starts to be a little obvious. It's almost like, with the replays taking so much time, that they made their decision before they saw it, they are just looking for that one hair of anything that they can use to say, "See, there it was, we made an OK call!"

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It would be even more interesting (and worse for us) if you did a study of the calls as the game was being decided.

Off the top of my head I can say it would have been

UConn 0-0

Baylor 1-15

In place of those two bolded games where they somehow played near flawless in penalties.

Looking at the whole season, Baylor is surprisingly much less disciplined than even ISU is...except this one game out of 5.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
UCONN penalties through 5 games:
3-18
5-40
1-5
5-45
7-51

Baylor penalties through 5 games:
11-116
9-52
9-93
8-103
2-20

What about our other opponents? I realize that wouldn't make these two games any more acceptable, but does a similar trend exist with our other opponents?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

The hard part about criticizing the calls of an officiating team is that often the calls are technically correct, its the calls that aren't called against the other team that are often the bigger factor.

TykeClone

Burgermeister!
Oct 18, 2006
The hard part about criticizing the calls of an officiating team is that often the calls are technically correct, its the calls that aren't called against the other team that are often the bigger factor.

I would contend that in the first part of a game - while we are still in it - calls typically go against Iowa State. After a game has been decided, calls will more often go against our opponent making the the total number of penalties fairly even.

If that is not the case, it should easily be disproven by showing the penalty counts and yards lost (not just penalty yards) for each quarter of a game for both ISU and our opponents.

TobiasFunke

Oct 9, 2011
I posted in this thread about the good sportsmanship of your team.

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/130314-good-luck-rest-way.html

Then stumbled on this thread.
Are you guys seriously blaming the loss on the refs? 600+ yards of offense given up. BU's 2nd and 3rd string were kneeling before putting up yet another score at the end of the game, and BU turned it over 2x in the first half yet still had the lead at the break.

I do think you got jobbed on the on-side kick call, but seriously, if you're going to blame the loss on anything, how about blaming a defense with corners playing 10 yard cushions while 2 safeties stayed deep all night allowing BU to gash it up the middle with the run... all night. RG3 didn't even have to try and win through the air. The run was there all night.

In my obviously biased opinion, Baylor is definitely the better team, but had the refs given you the on-side kick, you just lose by a little less. Even the "incomplete pass" call doesn't necessarily give you the win, IMO.

Oh... almost forgot, your D jumped off-sides (legitimately) 6 times... 6! Some in very crucial scenarios.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
It's hard to compare numbers of penalties because a lot of times when it's lopsided, the officials will start calling numerous penalties on the other team, towards the end of the game, just to even out the stat sheet. And these penalties are usually called when the game is out of reach by one team so they have no affect on the outcome.

In order to compare penalties, you need to take note what the penalty is, how many yards, where on the field it took place, what the down and distance is/was, what the score is, and how much time left in the game.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
Uni 16 - 133
ISU 8-81

Iowa 6-35
ISU 11-84

Texas 10-74
ISU 8-90

yup...we're getting hosed every game!

You will do yourself a BIG favor by looking at the HD replay of the Texas ISU game posted in the other thread. Calls get evened out when the frickin game is over . . .take a look at the other thread in this forum.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
RG3 didn't even have to try and win through the air. The run was there all night.

By the way....did it happen across your mind that this was the defensive gameplan? To not let RG3 have the long pass plays to beat the hell out of us with? You have to pick your poison. Props to your coaching staff in not stubbornly trying to win it through the air anyway.