How will TCU fare in the Big 12?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

How will TCU fare in the Big 12 over the next 2-3 years?

• Looking up at others (Baylor, KU)

Votes: 14 11.0%
  • Middle of the pack (TTU, KSU)

Votes: 86 67.7%
  • Consistently solid (NU, TAMU)

Votes: 27 21.3%

• Total voters

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
What kind of team do you expect TCU to be in the Big 12 over the next 2-3 years? Clearly, they've had a lot of success in their conference(s), but obviously they haven't played the same level of competition week-in and week-out that they'll face in either a 10 or 12-team Big 12?

Will they be a team that is usually looking up at the others in the conference, like Baylor or KU? (they do resemble Baylor in mission and resources)

Will they fit into the middle of the pack (like TTU or KSU), capable of the occasional breakthrough 10-win season, but usually bowl-worthy?

Will they be consistently solid (like NU or TAMU) and capable of challenging the big boys like OU and UT on a regular basis?

Would love to hear your thoughts on this?

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
They will be at least middle of the pack. Their recruiting is as good as TT and they have a solid coach. Program funding and better opponents will improve recruiting pitches. I think they will surpass TT in Texas recruiting.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
I don't think its really fair to say Baylor is looking up at others. They could be solid for many years now...

I even think Kansas will be the most difficult bottom dweller for any conference the next couple years...

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
I would expect middle of the pack.

I'm guessing that by adding TCU the Big 12 is going to try and use them to steal all the recruits that A&M use to receive. The Big 12 seems like it wants to do as much damage to A&M as possible in terms of bonuses it gives the SEC.

Mizzoulander

Sep 28, 2011
I don't think its really fair to say Baylor is looking up at others. They could be solid for many years now...

I even think Kansas will be the most difficult bottom dweller for any conference the next couple years...

You're right...it's hard to predict. I just included some current (and recent) Big 12 teams as a point of reference. Baylor's better than now than at any time in recent memory - but they've usually been pretty bad. Even KU had a 12 win season once (and as time passes, that year's team becomes even more bizarre to think about).

Another way of thinking about it is: based on record, which current Big 12 team do you think TCU will MOST resemble over the next 2-3 years?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I just want to play them later on the season.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Ummm...

Not sure why you put TAMU ahead of TTU. TTU has been MUCH better in Big 12 play overall than TAMU.

I wouldnt say MUCH better like that. From Record vs. Conferences

TTU- 69-51, average conference standing of 5.4 (avgd 3rd in the south
TAMU- 65-57 average conference standing of 6.06. (avgd 3rd in the south)

A virtual tie. Tiebreaker:

TAMU played in 2 conference championship games and won 1. TTU has played in 0 CCGs.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010

TAMU played in 2 conference championship games and won 1. TTU has played in 0 CCGs.

Still, they don't deserve to be in separate tiers.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Guess I thought TTU was higher above .500 than that.

So is KSU ahead of TAMU? They've played in 3 CCGs and won 1. I think they won a BCS bowl at some point too, right?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
What TCU team are we talking about here - the TCU team from this year or the TCU team from the last decade? The latter, they're middle of the pack to upper. This year, they're looking up at a LOT of teams.

BTYamsac

Aug 21, 2011
Texas Christian University has money out there. My wife had an offer in the mid 80's to run track there and turned it down. They take care of their athletes and make life pretty easy for them.
With the move to the BIGXII, I see TCU's donations going up. Alot of people I know down in Ft. Worth are excited about this move. They absolutely hated where they are now and want to get out ASAP. They have expansion with their stadium and I can see it getting bigger if they show success in the BIGXII. UT,aTm and SMU have nice boosters but TCU has the money for success if it wants and needs it.
I can see TCU becoming a contender for the BIGXII title within 5 years if not sooner.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
They'll probably have a couple years where they are a top 4 Big 12 team and then think they can hang with the SEC

Reactions: Doc

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
TCU in football with Patterson will be pretty solid... the donors here in Fort Worth are going to really step up and support this school. They have money. I think they bring parity to the BigXII for recruiting in the long run, which is a good thing. The DFW market is saturated with recruits. Don't think they won't steal a few athletes from OU, TX, and TT from now on.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
TCU in football with Patterson will be pretty solid... the donors here in Fort Worth are going to really step up and support this school. They have money. I think they bring parity to the BigXII for recruiting in the long run, which is a good thing. The DFW market is saturated with recruits. Don't think they won't steal a few athletes from OU, TX, and TT from now on.

I think they will demolish TT in terms of Dallas area recruiting. Judging by message boards, TTU fans are the only ones who don't like the move. Must be a reason why.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

That's what really surprised me. Their $175million stadium upgrade is paid for 100% by donations. That's getting it done as donors.