Future Defensive Line

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Future Offensive/Defensive Line

Edit: I'm bumping this thread. How does the future look for line play? Do we have enough talent at the positions? Is our problem recruiting or development?

This is about the offensive and defensive line.

Last edited:

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I was also wondering if anyone knew if Maggitt was going to receive a medical red-shirt?

We will still have Laing, Jake, Simon, Rony Nelson, all of who/m will be Seniors next yr.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
McDonough and Laing will likely start next year. Woods, Jensen, Simon, and Pompey will all play. Woods and Jensen should be pretty solid. Simon and Pompey will have some high hopes put on them.

At DE we'll have Scott and Irving probably stepping in for Lattimer, then Maggitt (hopefully he can make a full recovery) replacing Neal. We'll also have Nelson, Kron, and Lemke there. I'm guessing Lemke will still be a year out, but who knows with a year with Yancy.

Irving, Pompey, and Lemke all seem to have some high expectations, so it should be pretty exciting.

BTW: Pompey was suited up for the Texas game, hoping he still redshirts though.

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
Irving has tons of potential with the body frame that he has. He's an athletic freak. I just watched the Texas 4th quarter again on Cyclone Express and he was soooo slow off the ball. It was pretty bad to watch.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah, I don't think that they're too bad off. I do think that they will bring in a JUCO DE. My guess at an early two-deep:

DE: Maggitt (SR), Irving (SO), Kron (RSFR)
DT: Laing (SR), Simon (SR), Jensen (SO)
NG: McDonough (SR), Pompey (RSFR), Woods (JR)
DE: Scott (JR), Nelson (SR), Unamed JUCO (JR), Lemke (RSFR)

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Irving has tons of potential with the body frame that he has. He's an athletic freak. I just watched the Texas 4th quarter again on Cyclone Express and he was soooo slow off the ball. It was pretty bad to watch.

Uh, what? Those are usually mutually exclusive traits - athletic guys shouldn't be slow off the ball. Was he really slow, or just a step behind the snap like he didn't get a good jump on the count?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Its hard to imagine this defense only loses 4 starters as Maggitt is hurt and was the starter from spring.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Is anyone else worried about the D-Line for next year? McDonough will be fine and Maggitt too but I'm not too sure about Laing and Scott. Of course past worries have gone pretty well with: Knott, AJK, and Jacques.

ISUCyclone06

Oct 31, 2010
Greensboro, NC
I like the potential of Scott, remember another year of strength and conditioning, plus all the experience he is getting this year, I think he could be a leader on the defense.

nhclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2008
Is anyone else worried about the D-Line for next year? McDonough will be fine and Maggitt too but I'm not too sure about Laing and Scott. Of course past worries have gone pretty well with: Knott, AJK, and Jacques.

Not worried about Scott at all. I think he's going to be very good for the next couple o fyears. Laing has been fairly good in a backup role this season and there's actually some pretty good talent behind him for once. I think our line has a chance to be very good in a couple years when Irving, Lempke, and Pompey have a few years in the system.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I like the potential of Scott, remember another year of strength and conditioning, plus all the experience he is getting this year, I think he could be a leader on the defense.

Totally agree, to see him doing what he has weighing in at 223 is awesome. If he can get into the 240-250 range and maintain speed we may have a stud on our hands at rush end.

It may just be me but I am not concerned about the future of the Dline for the first time in a while. If Laing makes a jump like McD did this past year he will be solid. Love the potential of guys behind him and am even excited about the recruiting class coming in with 3 guys set to hit the Dline already. I guess it's mostly based on hunches but I'm hopeful for the future which is more than I can say for the past few years.

Way to go Wally, Shane and Coach Bray on working the DL!!

Apr 19, 2006
I was also wondering if anyone knew if Maggitt was going to receive a medical red-shirt?

We will still have Laing, Jake, Simon, Rony Nelson, all of who/m will be Seniors next yr.

I spoke to Maggitt during the Texas game and he is coming back next year. I thought he was a senior as it seems like the guy has been around forever. Glad he is coming back but I felt stupid after he said it will be his senior year.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Did Rony Nelson fall off a cliff or did I just miss his mention in this thread?
In spot duty so far, Nelson has a sack, and from what I remember he has gotten a couple pressures as well. He's a piece to the puzzle as well.

You kind of hope the injury to Maggitt was early enough that he can get back to form by next August. He will be needed.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Did Rony Nelson fall off a cliff or did I just miss his mention in this thread?
In spot duty so far, Nelson has a sack, and from what I remember he has gotten a couple pressures as well. He's a piece to the puzzle as well.

You kind of hope the injury to Maggitt was early enough that he can get back to form by next August. He will be needed.
You missed it about three times.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I spoke to Maggitt during the Texas game and he is coming back next year. I thought he was a senior as it seems like the guy has been around forever. Glad he is coming back but I felt stupid after he said it will be his senior year.

It seems like it has been forever, but he's just a junior this year. If he gets a medical redshirt, he'd have two years left. Hopefully he can recover fully from his injuries.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

I'm not really worried at all unless there is a lot of attrition. Laing and McDonough both played as sophomores and now they'll be seniors. Plus, we have guys behind them that have potential to step up and play at high levels. At DE we'll have experienced guys in Scott, Irving, Nelson, and hopefully a healthy Maggitt.

I'm much more worried about the secondary next year. I think we have a level of depth there behind LJ and Benton, but not the talent to win in the Big 12.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
It seems like it has been forever, but he's just a junior this year. If he gets a medical redshirt, he'd have two years left. Hopefully he can recover fully from his injuries.

He'd only get a medical redshirt if he hadn't already redshirted, which he has. If he was a RS senior, he could apply for an extra year of eligibility, but I believe since he has another year left anyway, he will just be a RS Sr next year and that's it.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I think Scott has a specific role on the defense and that is as a sort of zone-read buster. He stands up a lot when he's in, and I think that he sees more time against zone read teams. Because of that I think he may stay around 230 lbs and be a guy that's more effective in space like a linebacker.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
He'd only get a medical redshirt if he hadn't already redshirted, which he has. If he was a RS senior, he could apply for an extra year of eligibility, but I believe since he has another year left anyway, he will just be a RS Sr next year and that's it.

Not sure if that's true for a Medical hardship waiver though. The only rules for that being:
a) the incapacitating injury or illness occurs either during the senior year of high school or during one of the four seasons of intercollegiate competition, b) the
injury or illness occurs prior to the first half of the playing season that concludes with the NCAA Championship in that sport, and c) the student-athlete has not participated in more than two contests or 20% of the scheduled contests (whichever is greater).

It goes on to say that the 5 year eligibility can be extended to 6 in the event a medical hardship is granted after a voluntary redshirt but not the opposite. The article below is from an MD stressing the importance of documenting these situations and speaks to that aspect most but also includes an overview of what counts in the first few paragraphs.

http://www.collegeathletictrainer.org/newsletter/getfile.php?fetch=1_2_1

If you go by this, then Rosie would be eligible for medical hardship and an extra year, giving him 2 more with ISU. This = awesome.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
Bump with new OP.

Edit: I'm bumping this thread. How does the future look for line play? Do we have enough talent at the positions? Is our problem recruiting or development?

This is about the offensive and defensive line.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron