Garrett Gilbert transferring

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Coach Brown was very understanding and granted me a release to take some visits

Can someone explain this one to me? I understand that there is some NCAA rule that says a player can't just visit other colleges as he wishes... but how is that even legal? Is it part of the "contract" a player accepts by accepting a scholarship?

Cytom5

Sep 3, 2010
Ames
Please tell me you're kidding? Anyways, sounds like he is going to SMU.

why this program hasnt sniffed a 5 star recruit? the guy has played in big games also needs a change of scenery....very similar to ryan mallet i think

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
rbz-UT-Iowa-State-_1143877c.jpg

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
He's not coming to Ames so let's end the discussion

With that said, I think he is a good QB. He had a awful line last year with no running game. Disaster for a true soph in the Big 12.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Only, ISU fans would act like they'd rather have a juco via walkon at Hawaii QB than a former 5 star recruit. That said, he'd have to sit out an extra year if he transferred to a big 12 school. He won't do that, he'll end up at one of the CUSA Texas schools or Tulsa.

Reactions: Cytom5

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Only, ISU fans would act like they'd rather have a juco via walkon at Hawaii QB than a former 5 star recruit. That said, he'd have to sit out an extra year if he transferred to a big 12 school. He won't do that, he'll end up at one of the CUSA Texas schools or Tulsa.

5-star recruits pan out to be nothing all the time, and Gilbert has shown nothing to say he is not in that category. Maybe he can get there someday, but based off what I have seen, I would be disappointed if ISU even considered him, especially with Barnett waiting in the wings.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Does he get a redshirt for this year? If so, then 2 years at TCU or SMU is a smart choice.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
5-star recruits pan out to be nothing all the time, and Gilbert has shown nothing to say he is not in that category. Maybe he can get there someday, but based off what I have seen, I would be disappointed if ISU even considered him, especially with Barnett waiting in the wings.

And our current QB has shown what exactly? I'm not annointhing Gilbert at all, he had his struggles and has a lot to prove but most of our fans judge him soley on his performance against us last year. There were games (at Nebraska) that he won almost single handedly, Texas's offense was brutal last year. They replaced the best QB/WR combo in the history of the school, it shouldn't have been a surprise they struggled. It was the same type of transition that happend when VY left and Colt took over, McCoy was nothing special until his Jr year (which was his 3rd as a starter). There were more factors that led to him being benched this year than his struggles last year.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
And our current QB has shown what exactly? I'm not annointhing Gilbert at all, he had his struggles and has a lot to prove but most of our fans judge him soley on his performance against us last year. There were games (at Nebraska) that he won almost single handedly, Texas's offense was brutal last year. They replaced the best QB/WR combo in the history of the school, it shouldn't have been a surprise they struggled. It was the same type of transition that happend when VY left and Colt took over, McCoy was nothing special until his Jr year (which was his 3rd as a starter). There were more factors that led to him being benched this year than his struggles last year.

When did I ever compare him to Jantz? Jantz will be a 2-year starter, and if Gilbert came here, the two would never compete for the QB spot. Since Texas is on TV every week, people were able to see him many times last year. Ill give you him in the Nebraska game, but he has looked bad in a majority of the game I have seen namely ISU, K-State, aTm, and BYU this year.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
He WAS a 5 star recruit coming out of high school. Doesn't mean a thing once he suits up for a collegiate team. That being said he'd make a fine backup here.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
why this program hasnt sniffed a 5 star recruit? the guy has played in big games also needs a change of scenery....very similar to ryan mallet i think

HAHAHA! Gilbert sucks. No thanks.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
GG = deer in the headlights look all last year.

Seriously that was the only face he could make. I had a feeling he would transfer after he got relegated to clipboard holder. Convenient injury to end his Texas career as well and probably save some face for the coaching staff through that mess.