Steele Jantz as of Week 5

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
There is not a doubt in my mind that Steele is still improving and has yet to reach his full potential. A few things need some cleaning up real fast though. His INT/TD ratio still rests even at 7/7. Seems as though people aren't talking about him or on their "high horse" about him as much these past couple of weeks. He obviously has a knack for catching his rhythm late in the game when things settle down, and i would love to see him catch a rhythm from the get-go, but that is easier said than done.

What are your guys thoughts on him heading into the game @ Baylor?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
There is not a doubt in my mind that Steele is still improving and has yet to reach his full potential. A few things need some cleaning up real fast though. His INT/TD ratio still rests even at 7/7. Seems as though people aren't talking about him or on their "high horse" about him as much these past couple of weeks. He obviously has a knack for catching his rhythm late in the game when things settle down, and i would love to see him catch a rhythm from the get-go, but that is easier said than done.

Inconsistent.
Looks great leading 4th quarter comebacks but if it wasn't for his mistakes in the first three quarters, we wouldn't have to come back

He did not play well yesterday and he did not play well against UConn. He has to clean up the mistakes. Texas showed us what Big 12 teams do when you make mistakes. They make you pay.

I think he is still learning the speed of the game.

Reactions: cyfanatic

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I'm not worried about Jantz as much as I am the rest of the team. Granted, Jantz has thrown too many picks, but as he grows into the offense and gains more experience he is only going to get better. I'm more worried about the rest of the team getting control of themselves, no stupid penalties, holding on to the ball, kicking game, etc. Those are much bigger holes in our game than Jantz IMO.

crash_zone

Apr 10, 2006
Sioux Falls, SD
I'm not worried about Jantz as much as I am the rest of the team. Granted, Jantz has thrown too many picks, but as he grows into the offense and gains more experience he is only going to get better. I'm more worried about the rest of the team getting control of themselves, no stupid penalties, holding on to the ball, kicking game, etc. Those are much bigger holes in our game than Jantz IMO.

We have a kicking game? I thought it was Russian Roulette.....just all the chambers are loaded.:mad:

BTYamsac

Aug 21, 2011
To repeat isukendall, I'm not worried about Jantz as much as I am the rest of the team. Jantz has made some mistakes with some errant passes but he's also been pretty damn good with others. I never want to compare him to other ISU quarterbacks but I have to.
I can honestly say as a season ticket holder and donor for 20 years I haven't seen as good of a qb (potential wise) since Sage Rosenfels and Seneca Wallace. If our line blocks and our receivers catch the damn ball he'll be damned good.
His size and ability to move/pass on the run is something special to watch. I haven't seen a qb move as well since Wallace. His arm strength is among the best I've ever seen. When he fully grasps this offense, he could be damn dangerous.
When it comes to 4th quarter comebacks, I think they should run the offense like that the whole game. This way, he is working at the pace he can excel at.

LegendaryTRX

Sep 20, 2011
All jokes aside, i really hope Cyclone fans aren't truly thinking this way. A few months ago who would have honestly thought we would be 3-1 after the first 4 games? I'll admit that i didn't...

No one did. I remember reading a ton of posts on here saying 3-1 would be a godsend. It's amazing what a little success has done to this fan base . It's a weird feeling as a life-long Cyclone fan

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I really like watching Jantz play. He makes some bad decisions, but also makes great plays. There is always a sense of excitement when he is on the field, and I like that a lot.

BTYamsac

Aug 21, 2011
Steele Jantz can lead this team if the team learns to understand his leadership! This kid is as good as they get for ISU in a long time. I loved Meyers and Aurnad but they are no Steele Jantz.
Think about it. Jantz has had actually 2 years of quarterback play. Hell, he was a linebacker all through high school and then a walk on qb at Hawaii. Then he transfers to juco and puts up amazing numbers.
Jantz has the size and speed to compete at the D1 level if given the chance. His chance is at ISU! As soon as he figures out the offense and when his offensive line gives him help, he'll do goddamn well at ISU. He's exciting and he has a swagger we haven't seen since Seneca Wallace.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Jantz really only can improve. He has really only played 1 good game (Iowa), other than that he's been a roller coaster ride. The best thing is that as a whole we've gotten poor play from the QB spot and we're still 3-1 and most of SJ's mistakes are correctable. Another positive is that its not like even when he played poorly that he killed the team, it says a lot about how well the rest of the team has played.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I'm satisfied with his progress, and excited about his future. I'd like to see the staff start the game with screens and dump-off passes that help him get into rhythm more quickly. His INT's against UConn seemed to be 15-20 yards down the field, and against UT, was about 10-15.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
only one stat counts: 3-1.

He gives ISU the best chance to win, Texas's D was very good and fast.....ISU can't replicate that size and speed in practice, so I will guess that he will be a lot better next week. Baylor's offense is a world beater, but their defense is not.

got a feeling that ISU will be 4-1.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
A couple of times in the last three games, he's taken off running and runs a ways and falls down. One particular time against Texas there was at least ten more yards available and he face-plants.
I understand not wanting to take kill-shots but hopefully the rest of the season, the game slows down enough to take advantage of his wheels, which are pretty good.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
A couple of times in the last three games, he's taken off running and runs a ways and falls down. One particular time against Texas there was at least ten more yards available and he face-plants.
I understand not wanting to take kill-shots but hopefully the rest of the season, the game slows down enough to take advantage of his wheels, which are pretty good.

If I had to guess, I would say that the coaching staff is probably telling him to get what yards he can, and then get down.

isuforlife

Sep 6, 2007
wait up clones , 3-1 we just have to live with it , sorry not in Texas's level yet , ISU doesn't have the resources

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
To repeat isukendall, I'm not worried about Jantz as much as I am the rest of the team. Jantz has made some mistakes with some errant passes but he's also been pretty damn good with others. I never want to compare him to other ISU quarterbacks but I have to.
I can honestly say as a season ticket holder and donor for 20 years I haven't seen as good of a qb (potential wise) since Sage Rosenfels and Seneca Wallace. If our line blocks and our receivers catch the damn ball he'll be damned good.
His size and ability to move/pass on the run is something special to watch. I haven't seen a qb move as well since Wallace. His arm strength is among the best I've ever seen. When he fully grasps this offense, he could be damn dangerous.
When it comes to 4th quarter comebacks, I think they should run the offense like that the whole game. This way, he is working at the pace he can excel at.
Texas blitzed day in day out. The linebackers were as fast as our qb. He had insufficient blocking. The first half should havbe been no surprise. I blame our OC for not anticipating or adjusting what Texas was doing on defense. By the second half we were finally doing the quick tosses to the outside. For this opopponent, we shoulkd have started doing this the first quarter. The things that Steele had done in the past to scramble away did not work againdst the speed of the pursuers for this game. The OC needs to get a good game plan in effect in anticipation of what will happen against Steele.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I honestly have no complaints about Jantz this far. I can live with the turnovers, I would rather see an aggressive QB willing to take some chances and make plays than a QB who is afraid the throw the ball down field and make a mistake. I love Jantz's athleticism and his moxie and I can absolutely live with a mistake or two.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

im unsure of this baylor game, but i am sure of Jantz... 1st year BCS conferance player and looks amazing to me... lots of things to correct, but so does everyone. I love this kid, and glad he has 1 more season, not to mention the rest of this one.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
One thing that didn't help any on Saturday was Herman's refusal/inability to adjust to the blitz. No quick slants, hitches, or RB screens. When you have an inexperienced QB getting blitzed, you need to run these types of plays to expose the blitz and give him some high %, fast-developing plays.

Jantz has more raw talent than anyone we've had since Seneca. He needs to get over his first half jitters and not dig us a hole, but frankly, our inability to hang onto the football and avoid penalties is more of a problem than the play of Jantz. At least it was on Saturday.

I think win or lose, Baylor will be a good rebound game for him individually. Their defense is VERY unimpressive and should give us an opportunity to rack up lots of yards and points.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron