Iowa State's Punt Coverage

Goothrey

May 5, 2009
Dayton via Austin
I noticed we don't go after the ball, but I also noticed we don't block on the return either. What's the deal with this? I understand not going after it with the risk of running into or roughing the kicker, but there would be several longhorn players were untouched running down the field.....Lenz had no chance.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Yes, I'm sure that's exactly how they're coaching it. "Guys, we're not blocking the kick, but I don't want to see you blocking anyone either."

Cychotiic

Nov 27, 2010
Ames
What was the deal with that blocked punt? Why the flag, and then why the no call? I'm assuming the flag was for roughing the kicker which was blatantly obvious... So why the no call?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
What was the deal with that blocked punt? Why the flag, and then why the no call? I'm assuming the flag was for roughing the kicker which was blatantly obvious... So why the no call?

....they blocked the punt

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
k so if he makes contact with the ball and hits the kicker its a no call? Did he make contact with the ball.. No need to be a smartass...

If anyone touches the ball at all, the kicker is fair game.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If the ball is tipped/blocked, the punter can get hit.

As a rules question, why is it this way? Either you're roughing the kicker or you're not, it doesnt make sense for the success of blocking the kick to be part of whether that is the call or not. Why should a failure to block by arriving a split second late be a penalty and a success of a block that takes out the kicker be ok? Seems either one or the other shouldnt be the case.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
As a rules question, why is it this way? Either you're roughing the kicker or you're not, it doesnt make sense for the success of blocking the kick to be part of whether that is the call or not. Why should a failure to block by arriving a split second late be a penalty and a success of a block that takes out the kicker be ok? Seems either one or the other shouldnt be the case.
A play was made on the ball in one case, it wasn't in the other. You can't hit a receiver before he's had a chance to make a play on an untipped pass but he's free game if the pass is tipped.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I got a little annoyed in the stands because the white hat threw the flag when he had the best view of the ball being touched.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I got a little annoyed in the stands because the white hat threw the flag when he had the best view of the ball being touched.

He isn't watching the ball. His job is to protect the punter. Now you could argue he should've heard and seen it, but he should throw that flag and pick it up if necessary. You can always pick up a flag...he can't just wait until after the play and go, "Oh crap, they didn't get it. Too late to call it now!"

MissouriCyclone

Jul 24, 2011
Raleigh, North Carolina
But if your watching the punter you should be able to see if the ball was blocked or not. I may not be the smartest person in the world but if I was watching the punter I would notice that.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
But if your watching the punter you should be able to see if the ball was blocked or not. I may not be the smartest person in the world but if I was watching the punter I would notice that.
The thought process isn't "well, he was hit. Now where is the ball. Should I throw it?" You throw it right away. When there are 5 guys barreling down on one player, it isn't as easy of a call as you would think it is.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Yep, it was called correctly. Once that ball was tipped, he was free game.

Kirby also flattened a Texas guy at the end of the play.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So, at least theoretically, if a guy came through untouched could he tackle the punter before he kicks it? Or does he have to get the ball?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
So, at least theoretically, if a guy came through untouched could he tackle the punter before he kicks it? Or does he have to get the ball?

Yep, you can tackle him in that case. He's no different than a running back while he has possession of the ball.

and running into the kicker should've been called on the first one (I think) but it wouldn't have changed the outcome.