Very complimentary thread on Shaggybevo about ISU/Jack Trice

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Al,

Quit beating up western Iowa. All those homophobe dickholes are in Sioux and Plymouth county. The Siouxer does NOT claim King and Vander Putz.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I've just gotta know.... WTF is this?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Al,

Quit beating up western Iowa. All those homophobe dickholes are in Sioux and Plymouth county. The Siouxer does NOT claim King and Vander Putz.

The Siouxer and I got off to a rough start in college. I don't mean to throw you all under the bus, but King and Bobby V. aren't my favorite people.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The Siouxer and I got off to a rough start in college. I don't mean to throw you all under the bus, but King and Bobby V. aren't my favorite people.

Well, naturally. The Siouxer will rob you for crank money and stab you for fun. Doesn't mean we're bigots.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
It was a joke....but what are their feelings of Oklahoma? Texas Tech? Ok State? Those threads over there don't seem to have the same "respect" in them. Just sayin.

I realize you were trying to make a joke. But why even post in this thread, besides to be an ***?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Now that we have the jumbo-tron I would love to see a short movie play before each home game, serving to inspire our athletes and mentally break down our competitors. A moral victory leading to a game day victory.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
Now that we have the jumbo-tron I would love to see a short movie play before each home game, serving to inspire our athletes and mentally break down our competitors. A moral victory leading to a game day victory.

Commission someone a la Ken Burns for a 60 sec piece. Use part of the Aggy exit fees.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere
Nice to see UT does have some respectful fans.

Biggest piece of irony in that whole thread is someone from Mcintire, Iowa throwing another part of the state under the bus. I always laugh when I see people who are from BFE ripping on other areas that they consider BFE. No offense Al, just find it funny.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Nice to see UT does have some respectful fans.

Biggest piece of irony in that whole thread is someone from Mcintire, Iowa throwing another part of the state under the bus. I always laugh when I see people who are from BFE ripping on other areas that they consider BFE. No offense Al, just find it funny.

It's not about the BFE thing. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job of making that clear. Western Iowa is more culturally similar to Nebraska. It's not a rural or trashy thing, it's more of an ideological thing.

It's also a joke. Lots of nice towns in western Iowa (in fact, many of those towns are probably in nicer shape), but the Vander Plaats/Steve King crowd is more typical of Nebraska politics than Iowa politics.

I don't want to cave the thread, but those guys probably wouldn't get elected in Central or Eastern Iowa.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It's not about the BFE thing. Perhaps I didn't do a good enough job of making that clear. Western Iowa is more culturally similar to Nebraska. It's not a rural or trashy thing, it's more of an ideological thing.

It's also a joke. Lots of nice towns in western Iowa (in fact, many of those towns are probably in nicer shape), but the Vander Plaats/Steve King crowd is more typical of Nebraska politics than Iowa politics.

I don't want to cave the thread, but those guys probably wouldn't get elected in Central or Eastern Iowa.

I will never hire you in trade negotiations. You traded away Okoboji or at least a large amount of the good times at the Lakes in your deal. Nebraska now owns Taco House too.

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

I grew up in western Iowa and now live in central Iowa and farm in both places. When comparing small towns I have seen basically no difference in ideology between western and central Iowa. What changes the dynamic is Des Moines and Ames in central Iowa and all the larger factory towns in eastern Iowa. I know Steve King personally and while I don't agree with him on social issues he is a big supporter of agriculture and industry which is good for the state and particularly western Iowa.

One thing to remember about western Iowa is that whether or not you are a politician, most don't view the rest of Iowa as an ally. Most dont want to view themselves closer to Nebraskans but history has shown that state government and the rest of the state of Iowa very rarely does what is in the best interest for western Iowa due to lack of population and lack of votes. There will always be a rogue or seperationist mindset to western Iowa. I'd compare it to how ISU fans feel about the larger schools controlling the big 12.

I will never forget the first time I got to meet Terry Brandstad as a kid in the late 80's. My dad asked him why he never visits western Iowa and and asked what he has done to benefit job growth etc in western Iowa instead of DSM and Cedar Rapids. Brandstad looked my dad in the face and said he was in western Iowa just the week before when he was in BOONE. My dad grabbed my hand and we walked away mid sentence.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Texas fans are cool, I loved the town of Austin and going to a game there. Great town, absolutely awesome college town, and fun people. It was 10x cooler than College Station, and I won't even waste the time comparing Waco to Austin.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I will never hire you in trade negotiations. You traded away Okoboji or at least a large amount of the good times at the Lakes in your deal. Nebraska now owns Taco House too.

I actually realized this and tried to edit my post to keep Dickinson County in Iowa, for this exact reason. For some reason about half of my posts on ShaggyBevo I can't edit.

I grew up in western Iowa and now live in central Iowa and farm in both places. When comparing small towns I have seen basically no difference in ideology between western and central Iowa. What changes the dynamic is Des Moines and Ames in central Iowa and all the larger factory towns in eastern Iowa. I know Steve King personally and while I don't agree with him on social issues he is a big supporter of agriculture and industry which is good for the state and particularly western Iowa.

One thing to remember about western Iowa is that whether or not you are a politician, most don't view the rest of Iowa as an ally. Most dont want to view themselves closer to Nebraskans but history has shown that state government and the rest of the state of Iowa very rarely does what is in the best interest for western Iowa due to lack of population and lack of votes. There will always be a rogue or seperationist mindset to western Iowa. I'd compare it to how ISU fans feel about the larger schools controlling the big 12.

I will never forget the first time I got to meet Terry Brandstad as a kid in the late 80's. My dad asked him why he never visits western Iowa and and asked what he has done to benefit job growth etc in western Iowa instead of DSM and Cedar Rapids. Brandstad looked my dad in the face and said he was in western Iowa just the week before when he was in BOONE. My dad grabbed my hand and we walked away mid sentence.

This was exactly what I was attempt to get at over on Shaggy.

I grew up in central (almost eastern) Iowa and my family farms in central and eastern Iowa. I have a lot of friends in Western Iowa, and in my anecdotal experience, it seems noticeably more conservative Christian Republican than rural central or eastern Iowa. Nebraska, in my anecdotal experience, is very conservative Christian Republican, outside of Omaha. Thus the assertion that western Iowa has more in common with Nebraska than the rest of Iowa. It's not about western Iowa being "beneath" the rest of the state or more "out in BFE". It's just more like Nebraska in certain ways.

You nail it on the head when you say that Western Iowa feels like it doesn't have the allies in Des Moines that Central and Eastern Iowa do.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When did UT and A&M integrate? I'm curious after all of their comments in that thread.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Commission someone a la Ken Burns for a 60 sec piece. Use part of the Aggy exit fees.

Any idea who currently does the media for the new scoreboard? I'd love to start a movement to get them to do this! Even if it requires donations.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron