Advice for my first 10k

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I'm running my first 10k tomorrow. Actually, the first race of any kind since junior high (a very long time ago). What should I eat tonight and tomorrow morning? I'm not even sure what to wear since it's going to be cold. I've got a long-sleeve Under Armour shirt that I'll probably wear but will shorts be okay? Any other advice?

TIA

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Eat what you would normally tonight. In the morning I'd keep to foods that you are familiar with but foods that are simple like toast, or oatmeal, or power bars if you have eaten then before. You don't want to try experimenting with strange foods right before you run. I'm not usually all that hungry in the morning so I find it hard to eat so fruit and a gatorade works for me.

Shorts would be fine but I'd wear warm up pants or sweats to keep your muscles warm and then take them off right before you run.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
Eat what you would normally tonight. In the morning I'd keep to foods that you are familiar with but foods that are simple like toast, or oatmeal, or power bars if you have eaten then before. You don't want to try experimenting with strange foods right before you run. I'm not usually all that hungry in the morning so I find it hard to eat so fruit and a gatorade works for me.

Shorts would be fine but I'd wear warm up pants or sweats to keep your muscles warm and then take them off right before you run.

Pick a carb that you'd normally eat tonight, don't overdo it, but it will ensure your energy stores are where they need to be. Bosco is right on, don't change up/experiment at this point. As far as the Under Armor, I've opted to wear an older technical-type long sleeve shirt that I don't mind losing (tossing along the course)...most races will donate discarded clothing to a shelter.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
Wear a running shirt. I've run in two races and when finished my nipples felt like someone was lighting a fire on them. The odd thing is when training for the races I never experienced this feeling.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
I agree on the food. Eat something familiar, toast and PButter is always good for me. Im a big fan of 5 hr energy before races especially morning because I typically am not a morning workout person. This gets me going and helps with energy. Wouldnt reccomend it if you dont typically use something like this might not agree with your stomach.

I would think shorts are fine. Be aware that it will be chilly in the morning and chilly morning+sweaty shirt=raw, bloody nipples.

I sweat alot and run into upper body chafing a lot so I like to wear tight under armour with whatever over the top.

The old shirt that you dont mind throwing away along the side of the route isnt a bad idea but some poor SOB has to pick this ***** up so Im not a huge fan but either way.

Good luck

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
How are you running it? To compete and get a good finish? Or just to finish?
If just trying to finish, I wouldn't worry too much about what you eat tonight. I like Cliff bars and a gatorade primer before morning runs.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Also, I would go with a long sleeve Dri-fit type shirt with bandaids on your nipples or some body glide. Depending how fast you are running, a shortsleeve shirt may be fine, but you will want a jacket right up until the start.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
I agree on the food. Eat something familiar, toast and PButter is always good for me. Im a big fan of 5 hr energy before races especially morning because I typically am not a morning workout person. This gets me going and helps with energy. Wouldnt reccomend it if you dont typically use something like this might not agree with your stomach.

I would think shorts are fine. Be aware that it will be chilly in the morning and chilly morning+sweaty shirt=raw, bloody nipples.

I sweat alot and run into upper body chafing a lot so I like to wear tight under armour with whatever over the top.

The old shirt that you dont mind throwing away along the side of the route isnt a bad idea but some poor SOB has to pick this ***** up so Im not a huge fan but either way.

Good luck

LOL! Some poor volunteer picking up the sweaty, discarded clothing! Someone's gotta do it. For 10K I probably would discard the shirt. For longer efforts (20K, half marathon) I've definitely dumped the top (Drake half comes to mind).

Good point on the nipples. I've actually used the round band-aids as a preventative measure. Even with a running shirts on, I've experience the RAW nipples. You can apply some body glide or other anti-chaffing to address this as well.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
Also, I would go with a long sleeve Dri-fit type shirt with bandaids on your nipples or some body glide. Depending how fast you are running, a shortsleeve shirt may be fine, but you will want a jacket right up until the start.

Beat me to the band-aid suggestion! I hadn't seen your post, good call!

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I'd wear exactly what you wore during training.

I've used the band aids before. As far as other areas, anti-monkey butt works like a charm.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
Whats your time goal?

I trained for my 1st triathlon 3 yrs ago and that was my 1st time running. I've biked for 15+ yrs so the endurance deal wasnt an issue, just speed. My Hy-Vee time split was 61 minutes, so not fast. Have fun with it and good luck sleeping tonight. The combination of early morning events (what time do you have to show up?) and anticipation can make sleeping a chore...

You should rock some ISU gear. I'd wear a stocking cap until just before you take off, possibly some gloves too (to offset the chilliness of your running shorts).

ljhlax

Dec 14, 2010
Kalamazoo, MI
I'm running my first 10k tomorrow. Actually, the first race of any kind since junior high (a very long time ago). What should I eat tonight and tomorrow morning? I'm not even sure what to wear since it's going to be cold. I've got a long-sleeve Under Armour shirt that I'll probably wear but will shorts be okay? Any other advice?

TIA

I learned more in a year running with this group than I did the ten years prior to it.
The Runner's Edge There are some freebies on the site, but you mostly have to be a member to get the good stuff.

My advice:
Start slow. I mean it. Start slow. It is much more fun (and psychologically rewarding) passing people the last mile or two than passing everyone the first mile and then being the one passed by everyone else the last mile or two.

Load up on carbs (pasta) and a couple bananas the night before.

The day of Eat your favorite nutrigrain bar and have some juice.

When you start running look for a pace group sign. 11 or 12 min a mile group should be a good place to start. You should be able to run and talk (conversational running) for the first 2 miles. That will allow your body to adjust but not overexert yourself. You will also find your lungs opening up like they haven't in a long time. After about 30 minutes of running, your body is adjusted, now you can pick up your pace if you would like or have the energy to do so. Just remember to hydrate at every water station. I would suggest buying a package of orange slices (the candy ones at Kum and Go or Caseys) When you reach water stations, just pop one in. They taste much better than most sports goo and are much cheaper. I've run a number of half marathons with them and I've found they are just as effective. As for the long sleeve Under Armour, I'm not a fan. I always layer, Wind pants wind jacket, running shorts and running shirt. If I start overheating, I remove the outer layer. I usually have someone around mile 1 or 2 water station I could give them to if I need to take them off. I also run with a head band to cover my ears on real cold days and gloves and trax (grips for the treads of your shoes) for snowy weather.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Thanks for all the advice. My goal is under 55 minutes. I can do that pretty easily when training but not sure how different it will be in the race.
I've never had a problem with chafing (nipples or otherwise) and I've run up to 10 miles. Do you think I should worry about it?
If I have to take my shirt off I'll just carry it and use it to mop up all my sweat. I sweat like a pig (do they sweat?) and do this when training.
I'm not a morning person and the race is at 8AM. I'm planning on getting up at 6 just so I can get moving and woke up. I was thinking about one of the 5 hour energy things too but the stomach thing is a good point. Think I'll skip that and just have a cup of coffee and a banana. Maybe a little oatmeal which is pretty normal for me.
There's a spaghetti dinner tonight that's included in the race fee. Not sure I want to chance eating their food though. Probably just have some spaghetti at home and try to get some sleep.

Any other thoughts?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Your first 10K?

I'd take enough to be sure you have at least 3 mos. salary saved for emergencies. Stick that in a money market acct. The rest I'd invest in a well diversified mutual fund....maybe in an IRA.

;)