Financial impact of equal revenue sharing

Jun 11, 2010
Urbandale, IA
Does anyone know the approximate impact that equal revenue sharing in the league (minus LHN) would have on ISU? I've read that our total contract should be about $130MM per year for the conference, and assuming we get back to 10 or 12 teams we'd still stand to get $10-$13MM of that. Does anyone know what we were scheduled to get before?

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Does anyone know the approximate impact that equal revenue sharing in the league (minus LHN) would have on ISU? I've read that our total contract should be about $130MM per year for the conference, and assuming we get back to 10 or 12 teams we'd still stand to get $10-$13MM of that. Does anyone know what we were scheduled to get before?

Probably not even a million dollars.

I think it's around $1-1.5 based on that 2009 revenue statement that is always tossed around. It will likely be a much, much bigger deal once Tier 1 rights are back up for bids (2015?), assuming the B12 still exists at that point...

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Once the T1 deal is done having equal revenue sharing could put us at $20-25 million per year. I think we got around 9.5 last year?? Not sure.
Starting next year we will start that fox deal (provided its still valid) that will be equal. That contract is at $20 million this year.
I think there is too much to be discussed before we know this.
How many teams is the biggest factor..
Will Fox (T2) still give us $90 million per year without Texas A&M.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think it's around $1-1.5 based on that 2009 revenue statement that is always tossed around. It will likely be a much, much bigger deal once Tier 1 rights are back up for bids (2015?), assuming the B12 still exists at that point...

2009 revenue sharing agreement is different from what was signed last year wasn't it? I thought there was a new agreement where a higher percentage was shared, so there'd be less of a discrepancy in 2010 than 2009.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
2009 revenue sharing agreement is different from what was signed last year wasn't it? I thought there was a new agreement where a higher percentage was shared, so there'd be less of a discrepancy in 2010 than 2009.

You're right and I can't keep all the dates and percentage splits straight either. Needless to say, it will be more than we are getting right now.

Jun 11, 2010
Urbandale, IA
Once the T1 deal is done having equal revenue sharing could put us at $20-25 million per year. I think we got around 9.5 last year?? Not sure.
Starting next year we will start that fox deal (provided its still valid) that will be equal. That contract is at $20 million this year.

I think that's what "reserving our legal rights" is all about. I would expect that they'd still honor the contract. EDIT: Or we'd get our pound of flesh from aTm.

Wonder if any of this would ever get us to think about actually growing Olympic sports (e.g. baseball) again. Aren't we the only B12 school without baseball? I had heard somewhere that it was like $2 - 3MM in expense on top of the required field improvements.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I think that's what "reserving our legal rights" is all about. I would expect that they'd still honor the contract. EDIT: Or we'd get our pound of flesh from aTm.

Wonder if any of this would ever get us to think about actually growing Olympic sports (e.g. baseball) again. Aren't we the only B12 school without baseball? I had heard somewhere that it was like $2 - 3MM in expense on top of the required field improvements.

Why the hell would they waste money doing that?

agardini

Nov 12, 2009

I would think that the AD would spend the extra money on getting our current sports facilities up to snuff first. Way before deciding to spend any money on expanding the sports. I would hope that wrestling and volleyball get some sort of practice facility or some place to use that is currently better than what they are using currently.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE

Not that I think we are anywhere close to getting that kind of TV revenue, but I would like to throw it out there that I would absolutely **** a brick if we got that much!

HuxleyClone

Sep 16, 2007

Only about 20 people max would show up for baseball games the last couple of years we had the sport. It just wasn't supported by the ISU community or Ames.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron