ECU applies to Big East

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Good for ECU and Big East. I can't see the Big East turning them down.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Honestly, if they weren't so far away I would say that would have done well in the Big 12.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Honestly, if they weren't so far away I would say that would have done well in the Big 12.

This. Their stadium holds 50,000, and their average attendance is right about capacity. That would put them over most schools already in the Big East. They have over 25,000 students, too. Definitely would be a good pickup.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010

Nothing would ignite the fanbases of the B12 about sticking together like the addition of ECU.

Come on now.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Hmmm. So there are going to be more teams in BCS conferences and not less. Instead of contraction there is expansion.

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Obviously, it wouldn't be the 10th team. More like a 10-12 or 14th team.

Only if 50 other programs declined first. I'm very much against bringing in schools that don't have tradition and haven't established themselves in any way on the college landscape.

I'm all for BYU, WVa and Louisville. I'd have to think that Louisville and WVa would have to be a package deal though, I wouldn't want to see the conference stuck at 11 without a viable 12th.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Hmmm. So there are going to be more teams in BCS conferences and not less. Instead of contraction there is expansion.

I think the Big East is kind of in limbo. I wouldn't say the BCS is expanding if the following happens...(this is pure hypothetical)

Rutgers, UCONN to the ACC
West Virginia, Louisville, BYU to B12
TCU back to Mtn West (They're currently in discussions)

That would leave Cincy and South Florida as the only FB schools left. There would be no original BE Football members left at this point. They'd have to expand with 6-8 teams from Conference USA and/or the service academies. Their list would include Army, Navy, Central Florida, East Carolina, Southern Miss, SMU, Houston, and Memphis.

Is this really the Big East? Or is it Conference USA with a different name? Not that these are bad schools, nor do they lack potential, but they'd probably have their BCS status revoked.

If this took place, would all the BB schools be okay with flying all over, or would the BB schools just break off rather than play all the 2nd tier teams?

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Fitting that the big EAST will soon be the defacto home of the "directional" schools. Ecu, usf, prolly soon ucf, soon more depending on defections. They are all thats left. Lets hope the XII really is holding because that conference is gonna blow.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not a bad pickup for the Big East. ECU and Central Florida are programs with tons of potential if they can get into a BCS conference

I'd like to see them pick up UCF, while the BE obviously isn't the toughest conference its a good place for these type of schools to build themselves into a BCS type of program a la TCU.

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Re: ECU Tries for Big East Membership

If the BIG EAST survives, I hope ECU gets in. Virginia Tech (my graduate institution) has a regular series with them in football (helps VT win the mythical North Carolina state championship in football). Decent team, good fans, decent stadium. Would be a deserved promotion to a higher conference.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Only if 50 other programs declined first. I'm very much against bringing in schools that don't have tradition and haven't established themselves in any way on the college landscape.

I'm all for BYU, WVa and Louisville. I'd have to think that Louisville and WVa would have to be a package deal though, I wouldn't want to see the conference stuck at 11 without a viable 12th.

Yes if only ECU could match the rich football tradition of ISU, Baylor and Texas Tech.