Ask yourself

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
1) Is A&M officially in the SEC. 2) Is any conference willing to sign a team without the departing conference giving it's legal OK from every single team in that affected conference? 3) Why or why not? 4) Can TX, OU or any other MAJOR team move anywhere without the clear and likely threat of legal action? 4) Is nearly every senator or representative in the US watching to make certain their constituency (VOTES) are not upset with the downgrading of any particular school in there district? 5) Why all the hand wringing??

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I ask myself what am I going to eat for dinner and that is a tough enough question to answer. I don't know if I can handle any of your questions.

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I sure would love to believe you that everything will be OK. I'm still holding out hope that it will.

But here is MY question:

1) What about this whole realignment mess is going according to logic, or even common sense?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've got one for you - You keep saying that your big donor friend says that "Change is good for ISU". I don't doubt that he said that and that ISU is going to be just fine. But why is it you keep insisting that it's the Big 12 when every single sign out there points that it's not? It could very well mean another situation that is equally as good or better...

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
1) Is A&M officially in the SEC. 2) Is any conference willing to sign a team without the departing conference giving it's legal OK from every single team in that affected conference? 3) Why or why not? 4) Can TX, OU or any other MAJOR team move anywhere without the clear and likely threat of legal action? 4) Is nearly every senator or representative in the US watching to make certain their constituency (VOTES) are not upset with the downgrading of any particular school in there district? 5) Why all the hand wringing??

Apparently the ACC didn't really give 2 ***** about question #2. Stop trying to stay relevant as the source of information.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
I'll take a stab:
1) A&M Waiting for OSU, OU, Texas and Tech to go west, they go east, Missouri goes somewhere and walah - you have a majority vote to dissolve the conference, no exit fees, threats of lawsuits yes, but they can say they were looking to leave because of instability which proved out
2) Seems so, Pac seems fine with it - Sure let me sign that for you while we stay here and go broke - not! Signing away your rights is silly, the powers must think the disolution of the conference will get them off the hook
3) see above
4) Yes they can go and they will likely be sued, so maybe Fox/ESPN makes it go away for them or maybe they think they will have a good case
4b) Haven't seen much from Congress to this point, haven't done the homework, but would guess with roughly 60-64 teams benefiting now - that is better than a majority in the Senate. States like Iowa and Kansas and Texas where they have teams in and teams out will be key to any potential fight, the states that are already completely out have nothing to gain
5) hand wringing? Seems obvious the powers don't buy your arguments and going forward

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
6. If a train leaves Chicago at 8:10pm heading West at an average speed of 63 mph, and another train leaves Denver at 10:13pm heading East at an average speed of 57 mph, what time will we see another "Fire Kirk Ferentz" thread over at HN?

(assume that the wind is blowing 15mph from West to East and neither train stops anywhere along the line until they meet)

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009

Do you ever just say something without being cryptic? You act like you know stuff, but it all has to be spoken with plenty of grey area so you can be partially correct. If you know something, say it.

You said OU was our best friend. How about you tell us why? Or have you changed your mind?

Sorry if that sounds pissy but you shouldn't post as if you are in the know if you are not. I'm just asking what everyone else wants to know. What is it exactly that you know Rebecacy?

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Do you ever just say something without being cryptic? You act like you know stuff, but it all has to be spoken with plenty of grey area so you can be partially correct. If you know something, say it.

You said OU was our best friend. How about you tell us why? Or have you changed your mind?

Sorry if that sounds pissy but you shouldn't post as if you are in the know if you are not. I'm just asking what everyone else wants to know. What is it exactly that you know Rebecacy?

He knows absolutely nothing. He's been doing this crap for a long time. Remember the infamous 'secret fund raising' for the south endzone that he apparently had some ultra secret letter from Pollard about? Yeah, that was a winner.....

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

I agree with you. It is in the best interests of all involved (particularly the conferences driving his mess)to see to it that all parties have as gentle a landing as possible when we reach the end of this period.

But all landing spots are not created equal. Several seats in the game of musical chairs have a significantly greater perceived value than most of the other empty chairs we are currently circling. Sitting in the best chair when the music stops can mean the long term viability of athletic programs as we know them or not.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
1) Is A&M officially in the SEC.
All but. To the point theyre talking about scheduling. Youre denying reality if you dont think TAMU is gone.
2) Is any conference willing to sign a team without the departing conference giving it's legal OK from every single team in that affected conference? 3) Why or why not?
I dont recall the ACC asking permission from the big east schools this weekend. The big east commissioner found out while in the press box at a game that Pitt\Syracuse had applied.

4) Can TX, OU or any other MAJOR team move anywhere without the clear and likely threat of legal action?
Threat? Sure. Actual valid legal argument? That's different. This whole thing has yet to be tested in court.

4) Is nearly every senator or representative in the US watching to make certain their constituency (VOTES) are not upset with the downgrading of any particular school in there district?
given that tv markets are heavily involved in realignment, that also means the most populous (and thus most congressionally represented) areas will be taken care of. Sure, there will be some that pitch a fit, and even some influential ones like Grassley\Harkin, but the vast majority of reps will be from districts where the popular schools were taken care of.

CYlent Bob

Aug 7, 2006
The Winterset Metroplex
Everyone keeps saying that 5 teams can "vote to dissolve the conference", but is it really that simple?

When all 10 teams signed the latest TV deal as the "new Big 12" after the Bugeaters and the *&#$aloes left, didn't they create an entity called "The Big 12"? And that entity needs to act in it's own interests AND in the interests of all it's members (as much as it can, considering that it needs to act in it's own interest first and foremost)? I have no knowledge of the contract binding the teams into the Big 12; however it seems that simply voting to dissolve the conference does not remove the conference's duty to represent all it's members.

Even if the conference CAN be dissolved by a simple majority vote, does that simply make the damages to the remaining conference members non-existent? The teams left out in the cold could sue the Big 12 as an entity, along with EVERY member of the conference for damages caused by the dissolution of the conference, right? Plus, every other conference receiving former members of the Big 12 AND all networks having TV deals with the Big 12 and conferences receiving former members of the Big 12 could be on the hook for damages caused by the assistance they provided in breaking up the Big 12.

I mean, you can't just get six members of the conference to say "Chuck You Farley" to the other four and expect for them to walk away unscathed. They can vote to dissolve the conference, but unless Texas Tech has invented a time machine that nobody knows about yet, they can't go back in time and undo the agreements all the members signed binding themselves together. We can't make them stay if they want to leave, but we can Make. Them. Pay. Through the nose.

Pay the exit penalties. Pay a penalty for loss of future earnings. Pay ALL legal fees for the remaining schools (in fact, even though I'm not a lawyer I would advise ISU to ask the Conference commissioner to cover the costs of all legal fees related to conference realignment for ISU. They won't do it, but it will give us something else to sue Beebe and his merry band of misfits in that office over when it all shakes out).

This realignment is all about money. Nobody can dispute that. Since this is about money, I think a reasonable judge would decide that a proper settlement for the remaining schools would involve an amount of money that would make T. Boone Pickens say "Dude? WTF? Who am I, Bill Gates?"

Basically, instead of an "Alamo Plan", I would call this one "Mutually Assured Destruction". Especially since (just in case you didn't pay attention in history class), the Alamo wasn't exactly a winning campaign. You want to chase the paychecks? Fine. Pay us first......or we'll burn ALL your houses down in the process.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
So is this attitude still all based off of the body language and demeanor of an old donor at the UNI game or do you have new credible information?

Because frankly, there is no way that this gentleman knew two weeks ago how all of this was going to shake out.

I don't think the university presidents from the "relevant" schools even knew where things were going 2 weeks ago.

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
I've got one for you - You keep saying that your big donor friend says that "Change is good for ISU". I don't doubt that he said that and that ISU is going to be just fine. But why is it you keep insisting that it's the Big 12 when every single sign out there points that it's not? It could very well mean another situation that is equally as good or better...
Your sources have a completely different agenda and they point to nothing of substance. You all act like ESPN, CBS, etc., actually give a crap as to whether what they throw out there sticks to the wall. I stand by one fact; A&M is still in the Big XII and if you understand the legal hurdles they have to get over, they are not going anywhere soon. Now pick a team -- any team -- and tell me how they will get over exactly the same hurdle. Come on....... quit ******* on my point and tell me how it gets done.!! Grassley and Harkin will NEVER let ISU fall from a BCS conference. And they have real power in this country. Again, tell me how A&M gets into the SEC without intense litigation. Then tell me how all these other schools do the same thing. Everyone dreams about the outcome and ignors the process to successfully gettimg there. Reminds me of the young "idea people" at work who could not create or execute a strategic plan....... ever.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Your sources have a completely different agenda and they point to nothing of substance. You all act like ESPN, CBS, etc., actually give a crap as to whether what they throw out there sticks to the wall. I stand by one fact; A&M is still in the Big XII and if you understand the legal hurdles they have to get over, they are not going anywhere soon. Now pick a team -- any team -- and tell me how they will get over exactly the same hurdle. Come on....... quit ******* on my point and tell me how it gets done.!! Grassley and Harkin will NEVER let ISU fall from a BCS conference. And they have real power in this country. Again, tell me how A&M gets into the SEC without intense litigation. Then tell me how all these other schools do the same thing. Everyone dreams about the outcome and ignors the process to successfully gettimg there. Reminds me of the young "idea people" at work who could not create or execute a strategic plan....... ever.

All the SEC has to do now to get around the lawsuits is invite Mizzouri, then 6 schools would vote to end the conference and they could vote not to enforce the fines for leaving.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

There is no way in hell anyone can ever prove aTm is at fault for any monetary loss on ISU's part. They can leave, pay the exit fee and be done. Any legal action against them would be a colossal waste of time.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
6. If a train leaves Chicago at 8:10pm heading West at an average speed of 63 mph, and another train leaves Denver at 10:13pm heading East at an average speed of 57 mph, what time will we see another "Fire Kirk Ferentz" thread over at HN?

(assume that the wind is blowing 15mph from West to East and neither train stops anywhere along the line until they meet)
We were really close to the "fire KF" yesterday.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

But yet you have yet to convince anyone why we should think OU is our best friend in all of this...