Big East or Big XII

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Anyone else see the Big East being the league that's in trouble and not the Big XII?

Obviously better teams in the Big XII (even if just the ones willing to stay)
All teams are Football and Bball
We had aTm leave
Big East just had their two core members try and leave (like UT and OU to us)

We have better TV deals, better attendance, revenues, etc... Those lower Big East schools are the ones that should be ******** their pants!

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
regrettably it is very possible that both conferences might go away. Or that the Big XII goes away completely and the Big East loses BCS status.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Well the non football schools would be ok they could be in with the A10 at worst. Then you have Rutgers who would be an interested team for the Big 10. South Florida would be an interesting team to either ACC or SEC. Louisville, UCONN and WVU are 3 teams that would likely be attracted to conferences filling out to 16 teams. Cincy and TCU are the 2 teams that because of where they are located. TCU other than Pac 12 no real good bcs conference around for them to join and Cincy in Big 20 country and the Big 10 doesn't reportly have any interest in them.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If OU would pull its head out of its *** and realize we have a great opportunity here to take our 9 teams and 3 of the big east's, the big east could be the one to disappear and the big 12 could live on.

A lot of sources saying OU is stuck on the PAC though, for whatever reason. Dont see the attraction to sending your teams 1500 miles and 2 time zones away.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I wonder if they will reconsider after the ACC fires that shot. I understand you want conference stablity and the Big 12 hasn't exactly been that since it was formed.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If OU would pull its head out of its *** and realize we have a great opportunity here to take our 9 teams and 3 of the big east's, the big east could be the one to disappear and the big 12 could live on.

A lot of sources saying OU is stuck on the PAC though, for whatever reason. Dont see the attraction to sending your teams 1500 miles and 2 time zones away.

Not to mention all the legal/monetary ramifications of OU tearing up a signed contract. The TV deal is all we have going for us right now, that is for sure.

Big East teams are definitely more mobile, unfortunately for their conference, and they going to get eaten alive. We'll have to see if this going to put ND into play. I'm not so sure they won't say, "you know what, things are going this way and we need to jump."

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
By throwing out ND something to consider. With Penn State going to D1 in hockey that gives the big 10 enough teams to form a conference. Notre Dame hasn't said what conference they will join in hockey could their be a reason for that?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Show me where in the BCS rules someone loses AQ status. It is VERY hard to lose once you have it.

BCS Status is re-evaluated every few years (I think 2013 is the next time) for all conferences. Conferences can move up or down out of BCS autoqualifier status.

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
why don't the big XII pick up some of the big east teams to fill us up, keep us going. L'ville? TCU? cinci? w.v or uconn? Looks like the big east is done for, that gives the big 12 a chance to go on the offense. pick the teams up before anyone else does. keep us alive.

Dolokaju

Jun 8, 2006
Big 12 with OU and tu committing, then getting to 12 or 14 teams

Actually you are thinking small...

The 9 remaining Big 12...plus the 6 remaining current Big East football schools and toss in a BYU for the mormon cult appeal...Not bad and we get to 16 before anybody else...

The conference then has anchors in New Jersey, Ohio and Florida for recruiting...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I do not think WVU is good enough for SEC as they have to recruit way out of their state for talent. How many southerners would want to go to WVU. I thnk SEC wants someone better.

Last edited:

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
I agree I think the SEC wants someone better. I think untill the ACC went to 20 or 30 milllion on buyout they had FSU very interested now im not expecting anyone to leave the ACC

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
Big XII is going to pull a major turnaround and go from falling apart to mega recruiting conference by picking up Big East leftovers + BYU.

Do I think this makes any logical sense at all? HELL NO!!! But what does at this point!

Doesn't make any less sense than OU to the Pac 12! At least we would only be in 2 time zones not 3!!!

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Big XII is going to pull a major turnaround and go from falling apart to mega recruiting conference by picking up Big East leftovers + BYU.

Do I think this makes any logical sense at all? HELL NO!!! But what does at this point!

Doesn't make any less sense than OU to the Pac 12! At least we would only be in 2 time zones not 3!!!

Not if we get Big East schools + BYU.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Actually you are thinking small...

The 9 remaining Big 12...plus the 6 remaining current Big East football schools and toss in a BYU for the mormon cult appeal...Not bad and we get to 16 before anybody else...

The conference then has anchors in New Jersey, Ohio and Florida for recruiting...

This. Although, I think the best option would be to leapfrog 16 all the way to 24. Get that many schools together for TV bargaining and the networks would cater to our every whim. Keep them in two divisions to keep at least 2 BCS AQ slots. 3 schools rotate into each division and two out, every year so that in 4 years, every team will have been in a division with every other one. Schools keep one protected rivalry game in the conference, but every other game is within your division. Two separate division championships, with the winner of each getting a BCS spot.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I've had a merger in the back of my mind for a while, even before the recent ACC talk. I also thought of hooking up with BYU and New Mexico, because M-West has dwindling numbers, too.

I have no idea who's going where at this point. If KU/KSU didn't head to Pac-10 (or somehow Missouri doesn't go SEC) then there's still merger potential even w/out UT, TT, OU, OSU, Pitt & Syracuse (and probably WVa) ... although having at least one of that Big-12 pairing would help from numbers standpoint.

Could get a core unit just out of this bunch:

ISU
KU/KSU/Missouri
Baylor
TCU
Louisville
Cincy
UConn
Rutgers
South Florida (I could see USF going ACC'ing)
Also the possibility of picking Houston from C-USA if UT/Tech go west.

I left the BE basketball-only schools off for now -- too hard to figure out how that might work.

Since no one knows what's going to happen, this might not work at all -- at least worth thinking about.