Lions for Lambs movie - warning

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
I had the day off today, so I went to see the movie Lions for Lambs. I was expecting a suspense/thriller type movie, but it wasn't anythiing like that. It was a very cerebral movie that made you think a lot. I really enjoyed it, though, and I highly recommend it. However, if you're looking for a real suspense movie, you'lll be disappointed.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
A coworker told me it was a Tom Cruise / Meryl Streep preachfest against the current administration.

Does it belong in the Politics cave? If so, I'm out.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
From what i understand, this is Robert Redford's positioning against the current administration. I was actually wanting to see this movie at first.....until i found out it was a Politically slanted endorsement of Liberals.

Don't get me wrong - vote your mind, but i am tired of seeing this stuff in popular media.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
Actually, it isn't a left-wing propoganda type movie - at least I didn't see it that way. It's much more a sad commentary on the apathy in our country and how today's politicians count on that apathy to get their way with things. Tom Cruise plays a conservative senator who is very hawkish, so you get to hear the right-wing perspective throughout the movie. Robert Redford plays a California professor who's trying to get an under-achieving smart student to get involved in the political scene and become a force for change. He's not preaching liberal propoganda, he's just trying to get his students to impact their country instead of sitting back and letting their destiny be controlled by others. I think it's a great movie for liberals and conservatives alike!

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
It got a really bad review in our paper this morning. Said everybody was yelling at one another about how the war on terror was going badly. Tell me something I don't already know!

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That be the Hundred Year War on Terror. Buckle down, maties, remember how long the Crusades lasted.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I've basically been anti-Meryl Streep ever since her drunken-studdering rant-and-rave against not just the current administration but basically all Republicans during her award ceremony speech several years back. She's basically been blacklisted by me in the same fashion that Jane Fonda has.

Honestly - why can't some people just thank God, their family, their directors, co-stars, and fans, in that order, like the rest of the grateful award recipients do?

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Actually, it isn't a left-wing propoganda type movie - at least I didn't see it that way. It's much more a sad commentary on the apathy in our country and how today's politicians count on that apathy to get their way with things. Tom Cruise plays a conservative senator who is very hawkish, so you get to hear the right-wing perspective throughout the movie. Robert Redford plays a California professor who's trying to get an under-achieving smart student to get involved in the political scene and become a force for change. He's not preaching liberal propoganda, he's just trying to get his students to impact their country instead of sitting back and letting their destiny be controlled by others. I think it's a great movie for liberals and conservatives alike!

Liberal propaganda IS the idea that the only way you can contribute to your country, is to become a politician. (Read as crooked, top-down, people need to be "ruled" by their "betters" oligarchy politics.)

A conservative professor would convince his student to actually WORK FOR A LIVING! And then, once he/she has some REAL FRICKIN' WORLD EXPERIENCE, perhaps they could impact politics in a constructive manner. If there is something I hate more than a hippy, it's a college-aged political activist.

Waaaaay too many professional political hacks out there, right and left. But mostly left.

I would bet CyCash that Cruise's character does NOT espouse true conservative ideals. I would bet that he spews the straw-man crap the left-wing whackos like to SAY are conservative ideals.

Hollywood can sit and spin, as far as I'm concerned.

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
Oh boy, if that reviewer said it's bad, it must be. BS. People who review media for a living are the ones who aren't good enough at doing it, or are too narrowminded to get a job doing anything but spouting their opinion off left and right. I don't even read movie reviews anymore. Either pay to see the movie, or don't talk about it. But at least formulate your own opinion.

cloneaholic

Apr 20, 2006
Liberal propaganda IS the idea that the only way you can contribute to your country, is to become a politician. (Read as crooked, top-down, people need to be "ruled" by their "betters" oligarchy politics.)

A conservative professor would convince his student to actually WORK FOR A LIVING! And then, once he/she has some REAL FRICKIN' WORLD EXPERIENCE, perhaps they could impact politics in a constructive manner. If there is something I hate more than a hippy, it's a college-aged political activist.

Waaaaay too many professional political hacks out there, right and left. But mostly left.

I would bet CyCash that Cruise's character does NOT espouse true conservative ideals. I would bet that he spews the straw-man crap the left-wing whackos like to SAY are conservative ideals.

Herbiedoobie,
I liked the movie because it made me THINK and because it presented both ends of the political spectrum. But more than anything else, it reminded me of how almost everyone in this country feels almost powerless to affect change. Liberals are so caught up in bashing conservatives, and vice versa, that NOTHING constructive is getting done in Washington. It's all about one party gaining control and doing everything possible to maintain that control, even at the expense of our country's best interests. I'm so sick of all the partisanship - it just insures the status quo. If we as average citizens don't take back control of our country, the politicians will continue to keep it by default. So you can go ahead and be cynical or you can try to be a force for change, regardless on which end of the political spectrum you fall. God knows we need some serious change soon or our children will be forced to live in the mess that we created. Sorry for the sermon.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Why say "left-wing whackos"? I'm very liberal, but I think that, like some conservatives, there's a way to be rational and balanced, to see the other side of the issue. I may be "whacko" about some things (Cyclone sports, for example), but am very level-headed about politics. Not everything has to be a volatile, "us vs. them" issue. The whole point of politics is to try and come together for the good of the nation - and it sounds like, on some level, that's what this movie intended to do. I've not seen it, so I can't say whether or not it accomplished it, but I think retaining an open mind is at least fair...

Forgive me if I seem overly idealistic, but I just don't think strict partisanship solves anything. I absolutely understand your point, but just know that I don't resemble that phrase, and think it's a little hard to make an umbrella statement like that about anything.

iceclone

Nov 26, 2006

Looks like you only brought the broad-stroke brush with you again :smile:

I very much agree with your basic point of irritation with politicians that have been working towards nothing but advancing their political career since they were six. However, it is an extremely broad generalization to attribute that as a liberal ideal. You might be surprised how many of us left-wing whackos wish that we were offered a choice of candidates that are not (a) professional politicians from birth, and/or (b) lawyers (no offense to Kyle and others intended).

wiscocyclone

Sep 13, 2007
I hope you Iowans don't allow Hillary Clinton in your primary. Come up with some technicality, anything, to stop her chance to be President. I need to leave the country if she is, so I don't gag on my own vomit.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Herbiedoobie,
I liked the movie because it made me THINK and because it presented both ends of the political spectrum. But more than anything else, it reminded me of how almost everyone in this country feels almost powerless to affect change. Liberals are so caught up in bashing conservatives, and vice versa, that NOTHING constructive is getting done in Washington. It's all about one party gaining control and doing everything possible to maintain that control, even at the expense of our country's best interests. I'm so sick of all the partisanship - it just insures the status quo. If we as average citizens don't take back control of our country, the politicians will continue to keep it by default. So you can go ahead and be cynical or you can try to be a force for change, regardless on which end of the political spectrum you fall. God knows we need some serious change soon or our children will be forced to live in the mess that we created. Sorry for the sermon.

This is one of the smartest things I've heard regarding politics on CF. (I thought it was a sports board anyway???). I also agree w/ Angie, that calling liberals inflammatory remarks isn't soo cool. In fact, it's pretty tired...

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Why say "left-wing whackos"? I'm very liberal, but I think that, like some conservatives, there's a way to be rational and balanced, to see the other side of the issue. I may be "whacko" about some things (Cyclone sports, for example), but am very level-headed about politics. Not everything has to be a volatile, "us vs. them" issue. The whole point of politics is to try and come together for the good of the nation - and it sounds like, on some level, that's what this movie intended to do. I've not seen it, so I can't say whether or not it accomplished it, but I think retaining an open mind is at least fair...

Forgive me if I seem overly idealistic, but I just don't think strict partisanship solves anything. I absolutely understand your point, but just know that I don't resemble that phrase, and think it's a little hard to make an umbrella statement like that about anything.

"left wing whackos" is a "shoe fits" statement in my original intent. If you aren't a "whacko", why do you persist in claiming the title? I'm obviously not talking about you, am I?

The problem with "working together" with the current democratic political folks, is that they ALWAYS have a hook in that worm. Remember the GHWB "No new taxes" deal, where he agreed to new taxes in return for something else, which the dems reneged on? I'm assuming you're too young to remember it, but that bit of political chicanery started a long string of events we still suffer under.

SCHIP is a fine example: I mean, who is against medical insurance for poor children? The problem is, I GUARANTEE you it's not about medical insurance for "poor children." It's about incrementalism toward universal health care, and a huge new bureaucracy.

Lack of partisanship will result in huge gov't spending, more taxes and less freedom. Guaranteed. I LIKE having partisanship and a grid-locked federal gov't. It's the best thing they can do for us.

As far as being too "harsh", I think the single biggest shortcoming of the current college-aged generation is their complete and utter paralyzing fear of being thought to be offensive or unfair. I suggest you get over your oversensitivities and believe in something, stand for something and COMMIT yourself to something.

And I guarantee you that Lions to Lambs doesn't present a fair position of conservatism. And the fact that people who portray themselves as "liberal" say it does is just baloney.

Last edited:

herbiedoobie

Jan 3, 2007
Germany
Herbiedoobie,

If you have to watch a Hollywood-produced movie to force you to think, you have larger problems than what goes on in Washington, D.C..

The best thing you said in that post only makes sense out of context. "Nothing constructive is getting done in Washington." If one thinks that D.C. normally can have a positive effect on anything, then one needs to continue to believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, etc...

And as far as cynical is concerned, this post is the most cynical post I've seen in awhile. Your assumption that partisanship is bad is incorrect. Would you prefer the bi-partisanship of the Soviet Duma instead???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron