Cy mascot got a broken arm?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I see where your coming from. I hope you see where I'm coming from. I expect IsU in an official capacity to take care of business the way it should. Which is to play nice nice with Uconn. That is the way should be handled. But I'll be damned if I play that nice. It's about respect, and having pride in your university. So many people lately have decided that we don't deserve any respect. If we don't stand up for our selves than no one will. Disrespecting (taking down our mascot) what we stand for is another form of their disrespect.

It appears mascotting has become very serious business. I was not aware.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Fans can act with emotion, and go "ape****".

University needs to act diplomatically and professionally. In fact, my guess would be that the Pres and/ or AD will be falling all over themselves to apologize forth way this was handled when the find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Philadephia Eagles fans would like to thank the UConn fans for the reputation upgrade. Eagles Fans now look like Mother Theresa compared to Huskies.

ButlerClone

Dec 21, 2008
Forget about the cops and whether they want to press charges or not, file a criminal complaint yourself directly with the local prosecutors office then get an attorney and sue them in civil court as well. Ultimately it is UCONN's responsibility to provide a safe environment.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
Talked to one of the cops myself. Said the fan did push him but we decided not to press charges

Has anyone heard what started all of this? A UConn fan claims Cy is the culprit:

scottieskis said:
I was in the section and saw it happen. The mascot pushed a uconn fan after he tried to give him five and then the uconn fan pushed the mascot back. Sorry to say it but it looked like the mascot caused the altercation.
Sad sotry from tonight's game.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This claim seems sketchy. Even if Cy did pushed a UConn fan, in no way is getting pushed down the stairs an acceptable response. If this is accurate, and the push against Cy wasn't intended to be malicious, I don't see how the fan's liability or UConn's liability changes. The fan must be responsible for the consequences of his actions, and UConn is responsible for safety within their stadium. The numerous reports of the stadium security neglecting to do anything about the situation, and even removing ISU fans who were trying to report it, makes it look as if the UConn AD could be boned since it makes it look as if the security is poor-quality and should have been better. The AD can't be responsible for the actions of their fans, but they sure has heck are responsible for providing an adequate and competent security force within their facilities.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
So this was a matter of inadequate security?
Pretty much. Once the security personnel working this game refused to do anything to the person(s) that injured Cy (ie kicking him out of the stadium/reporting him to proper authorities to be arrested,) this became UConn's problem.

denmyster

Apr 24, 2009
One of the Boneyard posters are claiming this...

"I was in the section and saw it happen. The mascot pushed a uconn fan after he tried to give him five and then the uconn fan pushed the mascot back. Sorry to say it but it looked like the mascot caused the altercation."

I'm not buying it. Why would the mascot risk being fired from a job he is passionate about?! :mad:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
One of the Boneyard posters are claiming this...

"I was in the section and saw it happen. The mascot pushed a uconn fan after he tried to give him five and then the uconn fan pushed the mascot back. Sorry to say it but it looked like the mascot caused the altercation."

I'm not buying it. Why would the mascot risk being fired from a job he is passionate about?! :mad:
I can maybe see that, if it were an honest accident. If. That changes the situation to remove the malice from it. Surely Cy did it playfully--it's a guy in a big red costume of a bird, come on. Did the UConn person return the favor in the same spirit, or did they shove to harm? I would only think it had to be the latter if Cy fell and ended injured to such a degree...

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Bull ****, this guy is covering someone. Doesn't make any sense for Cy to push someone for not giving him a high five.

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
I can maybe see that, if it were an honest accident. If. That changes the situation to remove the malice from it. Surely Cy did it playfully--it's a guy in a big red costume of a bird, come on. Did the UConn person return the favor in the same spirit, or did they shove to harm? I would only think it had to be the latter if Cy fell and ended injured to such a degree...

It could have been playful shoves each way, with no intended malice on the part of the UConn fan. However, if it was a playful shove that resulted in Cy shattering both bones in his forearm, that fan is responsible for the consequences of his actions.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
Forget about the cops and whether they want to press charges or not, file a criminal complaint yourself directly with the local prosecutors office then get an attorney and sue them in civil court as well. Ultimately it is UCONN's responsibility to provide a safe environment.
Cops don't get to make the choice to file assault charges(not including domestics). The choice is made by the victim. The person that was CY when it happened made the choice to not file charges. They would have to travel back to UConn to appear in court and probably don't want to. That was there choice so everyone needs to accept it. Deciding to go after the bad person for civil damages will also be the choice of the person that was CY.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
That's not true. I know of a few examples where the victim did not ask to have charges pressed and the police still pressed charges.

dinger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2006
Plano, TX
Thats right up there with Nebraska fans UConn. Nebbys are still worse, but they have never (to my knowledge) physically injured our mascot.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
How is there no video of this in this day and age? Seems like everytime some idiot throws a punch in the stands there are at least 5 people recording it with their cell phones.

CYclist

Mar 17, 2006
Not to hijack the thread, but there have been documented cases of people in Iowa City being put in the hospital over wearing ISU gear. The one that comes to mind is three guys assaulting a woman wearing ISU stuff, and a stranger that came to her assistance was beaten to the point he was hospitalized. Not saying that couldn't happen any where, but it has happened in and around the ped mall. I think they've cleaned up that area some, but a few years ago, it really wasn't a safe place to be.

First, this is a bit unfair. I know Cyclone fans here have stories about how horrible Iowa City is, all the horrible names they've been called and all the horrible things that have been thrown at them, but how many times has an ISU fan or program member been sent to the hospital, as the result of an assault occurring in or around Kinnick? Honest question.

CloneAbuse

Oct 4, 2009
Clive, IA
Not to hijack the thread, but there have been documented cases of people in Iowa City being put in the hospital over wearing ISU gear. The one that comes to mind is three guys assaulting a woman wearing ISU stuff, and a stranger that came to her assistance was beaten to the point he was hospitalized. Not saying that couldn't happen any where, but it has happened in and around the ped mall. I think they've cleaned up that area some, but a few years ago, it really wasn't a safe place to be.

I was hit in the side of the head with a full can of beer, thrown at full speed, while leaving Kinnick after our victory in 2002. It was the only ISU/IA night game at Kinnick and that place was just nasty. The Hawk fans had been drinking since early in the day and many left the stands to go back to drinking. My dad, who's a Hawk, was with me and he had been having chest pains/heart issues prior to the game and had already popped one of his pills. My only goal was to get the hell outta there without him getting worked up. Fans at Kinnick are happy as long as they're winning, if they lose...all bets are off. It's the same at most venues, tavern-???? fans dwell in all locales.