Biffhammer - bashes ISU

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
Anyone check out this article on biffhammer.com -> BIFFHAMMER.COM: I'll gladly pay you on Tuesday, for a $5 million scoreboard today.... I'll paste it below so as not to give this idiot any more web traffic than he deserves.. I had kind of thought this guys articles were badly written and juvenile since he started blogging recently, but this has officially made me stop following his site.

Apparently he doesn't understand how businesses are run and the fact they signed a contract pretty much guaranteeing them the money. Hence, why ISU (and others) have not waived their right to sue.

-- Article --
============================================================
There’s a solid piece on espn.com today about the economics of the Big 12’s impending demise. It drills deep into why the Baylors of the conference are holding on to their right to sue the SEC if/when Texas A&M departs. And it’s about more than just remaining relevant on the college athletics landscape.

To absolutely no one’s surprise, it’s about money. But Iowa State’s actions on the money side of it might **** you off. It’s definitely got Biff worked up today.

The new TV deal the league worked out with Fox Sports recently – the $1.17 billion deal – works out to approximately $90 million per school, starting next season.

What you may not know is that ISU’s athletic department has already spent or committed nearly $40 million of its share, despite the fact it won’t see a penny of it until next season, if at all. I’ll pause while you take your blood pressure meds.

What the hell is ISU doing spending money it doesn’t have in hand yet? And not just a little money; it’s nearly HALF of its projected $90 million share. This is like a father telling his family, “Hey everybody! Grandpa just wrote us in for $1 million in his will!â€, and then the whole clan goes out and spends half of it immediately on a 2nd home, luxury cars and boats, etc. Then the doctor unexpectedly announces that grandpa’s heart transplant went great and he should live another 20 years.

This smacks of how Washington has operated far too long, writing check after check without secure knowledge that the money’s in the bank to pay for it. ISU green-lighted a new $5 million scoreboard that’s already up and running. It also committed $20 million to a football building, and $15 million to a new sports complex for track, soccer, and softball – both of which are under construction.

Apparently last year’s near-Big 12 blowup, and the departure of Nebraska and Colorado – did not convince the powers in the Jacobson Building to adopt a more fiscally patient, let’s-wait-and-see-if-this-is-really-over mentality.

Could you get away with operating your home budget this way? “Yeah, boys, dig the hole for that swimming pool and hot tub. The boss said my promotion is coming any day now!†Then the boss suddenly takes another job with another company, wishes you well and you’re left floating in uncertainty, not water. Nope; you’re not diggin’ that hole until the promotion is in hand. Or unless you’re a fool.

Perhaps this is the way college athletics has been run of late. But today is a brave new world, with 9% unemployment, rampant home foreclosures, and banks, mortgage companies, and other businesses failing everywhere. Nothing – nothing – is guaranteed anymore.

Certainly the Big 12’s survival isn’t a sure thing, nor is ISU’s relocation to a high-level conference if it doesn’t. The latest “Who’ll Go Where?†scenarios have the Cyclones and Baylor out in the cold; a “player to be named later†to the Big East at best. But ISU’s recent financial activity would suggest all is well.

While the rest of us have boarded up the windows of our homes and are simply trying to ride out this financial hurricane (by not making any big purchases or adding a bunch of new debt), Iowa State’s throwing around tens of millions of dollars it currently doesn’t have into projects with debatable necessity given current economic conditions.

"The taxpayers of Iowa can't pay (if the Big 12 folds and the Fox TV contract falls through)," a source told espn.com.

No, they can’t. But you can bet there’s going to be cardinal and gold hell to pay if the Big 12 fails.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
The aggies (and everyone else) signed a contract. We used long term debt to pay for the projects, to match the long-term nature of the contract. It is not our fault that TAMU (and now maybe OU\OSU\etc) broke that contract and it is why anyone that leaves should owe damages, as everyone made future plans based on the verbal and written assurances from its fellow b12 members.

OPKSCyclone

Oct 17, 2009
Overland Park, KS
Could you get away with operating your home budget this way?

So I guess this guy doesn't have a mortgage. Stands to reason nobody should ever take out student loans since they don't have a job. Businesses surely don't take out loans to expand until after orders are placed way beyond existing capacity.

While the rest of us have boarded up the windows of our homes and are simply trying to ride out this financial hurricane (by not making any big purchases or adding a bunch of new debt)

What world is he living in? I bet there are few, if any, college atheletic departments that are spending less this year than last.

What a *******.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Mangino had it figured out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCqE8tMfEs&feature=related]Coach Mangino no like Ut and their refs - YouTube[/ame]

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Biffhammer is slighty more knowledgeable than a 5th grader who wears a helmet all day.

Reactions: ISC

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I guess with the roughly $1 billion contract signed, ISU should have just assumed it would get screwed out of its money and done nothing. Yeah, right. Heck, even if this does all shake out in our favor, I suggest we do nothing. Live with what we have forever. No facility upgrades, nothing. We should just always assume the worst and live in fear. Not.

This Biffhammer tool, whoever he is, is picking on ISU for doing what virtually every business in America does; shoot even non-profits do it: Issue bonds against future projected receipts to make improvements now. Heck, it's how every single school in America gets built.

But because it's lowly ISU trying to improve itself, it's an issue.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
oh, and all comments on his site have to moderated, so I'm betting my comment calling him out will not make it through -> we'll see :)

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I guess with the roughly $1 billion contract signed, ISU should have just assumed it would get screwed out of its money and done nothing. Yeah, right. Heck, even if this does all shake out in our favor, I suggest we do nothing. Live with what we have forever. No facility upgrades, nothing. We should just always assume the worst and live in fear. Not.

This Biffhammer tool, whoever he is, is picking on ISU for doing what virtually every business in America does; shoot even non-profits do it: Issue bonds against future projected receipts to make improvements now. Heck, it's how every single school in America gets built.

But because it's lowly ISU trying to improve itself, it's an issue.

Basically, if you look at how people and organizations have advanced their situation since we started to formalize colonies in America, this is how it's been done.

I don't spend much time with British history, because it's British history, but I'd be willing to bet that we didn't come up with the idea when we got here. It's just the normal means of advancement for centuries. Curse ISU for trying to do the normal thing.

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
He is horrendous to listen to when i hear him on Keith and Andy.

I saw he said he was on Murph and Andy today, but hadn't listened to today's podcast yet (will on the way to work tomorrow though). Although, now i'll be a bit biased when he comes on.