WIN Preseason Rankings

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
Tied for 27th with Boston U and Buffalo! Year 3 needs to bring some unexpected results for the Cyclone Wrestling team. It is unreal to live in Virginia and see Maryland, Tech and UVA all ranked ahead of my Cyclones. I don't think I ever read in the paper or see TV coverage of these wrestling programs and thought Tech and UVA were up and coming, not ahead of my Cyclones!

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
We're still in the building phase, but I'll be surprised if we're that bad.

Lloyd88

Jun 5, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa
Tied for 27th with Boston U and Buffalo! Year 3 needs to bring some unexpected results for the Cyclone Wrestling team. It is unreal to live in Virginia and see Maryland, Tech and UVA all ranked ahead of my Cyclones. I don't think I ever read in the paper or see TV coverage of these wrestling programs and thought Tech and UVA were up and coming, not ahead of my Cyclones!

I think we'll be in the top 15 by X-mas. We'll have a very young team. The talent is there for a top 10 team they just have to prove it on the mat.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
I hope you two are right. Because starts like 27th are a far cry from where we used to be.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We do not get any love on potential from the ranking guys. Many have Sorenson behind Toal of Missouri and a few others the Sorenson beat last year. Iowa's unproven wrestlers get ranked higher because its Iowa. Iowa State has to prove it. I think Finch, Moreno, Sorenson, Spangler, Ward/Boaz Beard, Gadsen all have a good chance to AA. I won't rule out Gibson and Cozart/Weatherman either. Many did not have Reader AA last year, if they did it was 7-8th place. I knew how good he was. Virginia Tech might be a good dual, but don't think Maryland or Virginia would compete against the Cyclones this year. That's why we wrestle the matches. I would rather be the surprise than the disappointment.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Yeah, we have a lot of unproven guys as well as Sorenson ranked behind people he beat. I think the rankings will change a lot once the season starts.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
We do not get any love on potential from the ranking guys. Many have Sorenson behind Toal of Missouri and a few others the Sorenson beat last year. Iowa's unproven wrestlers get ranked higher because its Iowa. Iowa State has to prove it. I think Finch, Moreno, Sorenson, Spangler, Ward/Boaz Beard, Gadsen all have a good chance to AA. I won't rule out Gibson and Cozart/Weatherman either. Many did not have Reader AA last year, if they did it was 7-8th place. I knew how good he was. Virginia Tech might be a good dual, but don't think Maryland or Virginia would compete against the Cyclones this year. That's why we wrestle the matches. I would rather be the surprise than the disappointment.

Boaz Beard is back?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Yep. He was at the Cyclone Wrestling Club tailgate against Iowa along with his good friend and high school classmate (from what I understand) Tyler Caldwell. He is enrolled at Iowa State and plans on wrestling. How's that for exciting news. 184 will have Jerome Ward, Boaz Beard, Cole Shafer and Phil Hawes battling for the starting spot.

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Yep. He was at the Cyclone Wrestling Club tailgate against Iowa along with his good friend and high school classmate (from what I understand) Tyler Caldwell. He is enrolled at Iowa State and plans on wrestling. How's that for exciting news. 184 will have Jerome Ward, Boaz Beard, Cole Shafer and Phil Hawes battling for the starting spot.
Wow, that's huge news. I thought he had the potential to be a 3 time AA before he left. What's his eligibility status?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Redshirt Sophomore, I think. Not listed on roster yet. I think that is because this is in the process or just got done.
Eligible immediately, from what I hear.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

Interesting to still see Spangler listed at 165. It's been pretty much a given in most people's eyes that he would be at 174. If he's going to stay down and duke it out with Sorenson, that will be a battle, but it's going to leave us weaker than I expected at '74.

Others worth noting....Mayfield at '41, Weatherman & Cozart both at '49, and Moreno at '57. All of these have been discussed, but it's good to see the "confirmation" here.

Lloyd88

Jun 5, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa

I thought Ward would make the move to 197? He's listed there on the roster.

ccubsfans

Dec 4, 2009
Are you nuts? Reader's been perpetually ranked in the top 10 since he was a freshman and everyone expected him to content for, if not win, the national title.

Thats not true. coming off his junior year when he failed to AA, and moving up a weight class he was ranked preseason around 7 or 8. I'm pretty sure that some of the weights just haven't been updated Spangler most likely at 174 and Ward fighting it out for 184. I'm just guessing though.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Are you nuts? Reader's been perpetually ranked in the top 10 since he was a freshman and everyone expected him to content for, if not win, the national title.

I realize he was ranked in the top 8, but never given much of a chance to be a national champ. If you can look back at forum from preseason to early season, nobody talked about Reader being a national champ. An AA maybe, but not a NC much less an undefeated NC. I knew Reader had the ability to be a NC in preseason. Just like I feel comfortable that were better than a 20 -25th ranked team this year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Correct the weights are not all (if any) updated except for incoming freshman

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
What I think some forgot with Reader was that he was the Taylor Massa of his recruiting class. He was a Fargo dual champ and the top ranked recruit in the country. Cael ruined him, and Jackson finally brought him back to his potential.

Last edited: