ISU wearing all white unis Friday

CycloneKC

Jan 13, 2010
This ABCDEFGH guy (#88) looks tough, but his lack of arms and shins gives me pause - can he really run effective routes and pull the ball in? I don't know.....

Can anyone mock up our red helmet with the white jerseys and white pants? Totally the best look in my opinion!!

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
I don't think there is any truth to the white helmet. Just something made up for fun.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
Deep down you know it exists, you just don't want to admit it :yes:

Well, yes, it exists there is a picture. But I heard from someone on the team that the white helmet was basically a prank. But who knows. Maybe they decided it looks cool and are actually going to use it. I think it will be white pants and jerseys with the regular helmet.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Let's just say this - if Maryland's coach wasn't blowing smoke out his arse about the "Alice in Wonderland" uniforms having a surprisingly positive reaction amongst recruits considering Maryland, then people really need to shut up about hating possible alternate uniform combinations ... I'm really looking forward to all whites, if that truly is the case.

I still like our basic home & road look[1] but I could actually warm to the idea of alternates, because there are some cool combos.

However, here would be my rules:
1. Rare use of it -- maybe once at home and once on the road per season.

2. A fairly limited set of combos (which, if you added gold & white helmets to the mix, that's already -- well, whatever X-to-the-Y is)

3. Nothing outside of the school colors (except white, which is unavoidable because of obvious jersey rules). No black, beige, "steel" ...

4. Nothing outside the basic design (such as, if you have stripes or trim, don't drop them) and no funky extras (like Oregon's feathers on the uniform, et al)

I like a little flash, I just don't like having an endless bunch of possibilities and never having anything be "The Uniform." Granted, if I didn't like the look to begin with, I wouldn't care much; since I mostly like it, each week's combo could have a 50-50 chance of annoying me.

[1] except for the lack of helmet stripe I continue to mention. :twitcy:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I still like our basic home & road look[1] but I could actually warm to the idea of alternates, because there are some cool combos.

However, here would be my rules:
1. Rare use of it -- maybe once at home and once on the road per season.

2. A fairly limited set of combos (which, if you added gold & white helmets to the mix, that's already -- well, whatever X-to-the-Y is)

3. Nothing outside of the school colors (except white, which is unavoidable because of obvious jersey rules). No black, beige, "steel" ...

4. Nothing outside the basic design (such as, if you have stripes or trim, don't drop them) and no funky extras (like Oregon's feathers on the uniform, et al)

I like a little flash, I just don't like having an endless bunch of possibilities and never having anything be "The Uniform." Granted, if I didn't like the look to begin with, I wouldn't care much; since I mostly like it, each week's combo could have a 50-50 chance of annoying me.

[1] except for the lack of helmet stripe I continue to mention. :twitcy:

Did you just properly use a footnote on a message board?

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
While I think our standard road unis are fantastic (possibly the best FB uniform we've ever had), I dig the all whites with the white helmet too. Hope they break that one out some time.

Please, no black,ever. I can't stand teams that don't have black as a school color going all black. I'm looking at you KSU bball and ASU football.

In closing: Yay, another uniform thread! :jimlad:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I apparently have to be one of the only people who think all white doesn't look that great. I'd prefer to see white jerseys, white helmet, and the red pants. But I'd hold out judgement until I actually see it in the flesh.
Amen. All-white looks fine on teams with bi-color combinations, I think (Jets, Colts, Sooners, old school Vikings, etc.), but teams with brighter colors in their pallet should utilize them however and whenever possible in some dark-over-light format, like we are currently doing.

I was so happy we seemed to be one of the few schools in the nation--a Nike one, nonetheless--that "kept it classy" by going with a classic look that focused on the school colors when we redesigned our uniforms last time around. Particularly since it made some nods to the classic "shoulder piping" and some of the overall feel of the Bruce era. As far as I was concerned, from there, we should be wearing the same cardinal/cardinal/gold and cardinal/white/cardinal look until 2050 at the very least. That's how you build a tradition and a brand.

All white? This troubles me as a precedent, and since it starts to work backwards on emphasizing our beautiful cardinal and gold school colors. It is going to look washed-out against UConn, which has kind of a drab uniform look anyways with the navy with a lot of white going together. There's going to be too much white on that field, especially for night lights, and not enough contrast to really go around. And don't say UConn going navy-over-navy is going to help anything, since that's just awful on too many levels to go monochromatic like that.

Plus, we've done the whole red/white/white thing before, and frankly wasn't all that inspiring:

iowa_state-texas_r175x200.jpg

Sorry that I can't find a larger one than that; feel free to help me out from the Iowa game in 2006 or something, if you want to.

Minus a few little differences with the above (slightly different shades, different uniform striping and number fonts, different logo and face mask), we're going to basically look the same if we do the aforementioned red/white/white on Friday. Not exactly my cup of tea just looking at this again. Obviously, I can't control what JP/CPR/the team wants to do, I just hope we remember that we're Iowa State and that we look good when we wear our own colors as much as possible. Gladly, we're not doing any of that amateur pacifist junk, yet, but I liked the colored pants and looks that we've been rocking since 2008.

I had Jacques Washington in one of my classes, too, when I was teaching. I thought I taught him better aesthetics than that. :confused:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
I have to say I'd prefer to keep the colored bottoms but.... could be something different to see I guess

I'd like to see us bust out those throwback uniforms from the Iowa game in 2007 again... those were pretty sweet. Or go gold/gold to mix it up against a red team.

On a whole though our current uniforms are a HUGE improvement, and I'd like to see them stay around with no changes for a while

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
How about some special Nike all-white? And I mean all-white. No stripes, just solid cardinal numbers, names, Iowa State across the chest, etc. (as usual). White helmet and facemask - no stripes, with I-State logos on it.

Hell even cardinal numbers with gold names or something would be sick.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
How about some special Nike all-white? And I mean all-white. No stripes, just solid cardinal numbers, names, Iowa State across the chest, etc. (as usual). White helmet and facemask - no stripes, with I-State logos on it.

Hell even cardinal numbers with gold names or something would be sick.

Would be pretty neat if it was white with the kind of shadow white you see in the Texas/Duke/ UNC basketball unis. Dont incorporate a picture of course like the basketball unis, but make it almost a 2 tone white..

PS Knowing how popular uni threads are on CF. I think this thread is going to blow up tomorrow when more people see it.

BigSkyCy2

Bookie
Aug 9, 2006
Since this was released on Twitter, how long do we wait for someone to Tweet a picture?

skibumspe

Oct 8, 2006
South Korea
I can't believe I took the time to peruse three pages about f-in uniforms but I guess a Monday holiday in Korea will do that....me thinks it's high time for a few people to go out to a bar, talk to a chick & fornicate w/said chick.

Seriously, though, just keep winning games, boys!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Did you just properly use a footnote on a message board?

Technically, no. Footnotes are used to cite references to your sources, whether published or unpublished, original or secondary, whatever they are. Explaining your text is your footnotes is considered extremely bad form. That's what the body of your text is for.

The general rule as I'm taught: If you can't find a way to include it in your text, it probably shouldn't be included.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron