Penalty or not?

famwam

Sep 8, 2011
Was I the only one watching the Packers vs Saints game that did NOT see any contact made by AJ Hawk in the end zone & thought it was just 1 hell of a great play? Nowhere & at no time did I see contact! It looked like it was a well time play by Hawk! Anybody else?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Calls are blown all the time. At full speed, it's easy to see how that could be interpreted as PI on a first look. It's definitely not the worst PI call I've ever seen.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You can see Sprole's head get pushed forward by Hawk as the ball is in the air, good call. Almost a great play, just a tad early.

famwam

Sep 8, 2011
You can see Sprole's head get pushed forward by Hawk as the ball is in the air, good call. Almost a great play, just a tad early.

Looks like the timing was perfect! The bcak judge ANTICIPATED contact! He could not see from the angle he had if there was any contact at all! He ASSUMED there had to be contact! Great play!

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Looks like the timing was perfect! The bcak judge ANTICIPATED contact! He could not see from the angle he had if there was any contact at all! He ASSUMED there had to be contact! Great play!
Well now you're just being silly, how do you know what the back judge could see or was thinking? Unless Sproles has eyes in the back of his head and knew when to fake his head movement at the exact time Hawk's arm flew over his head it was early contact.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I thought it was a blown call, but after looking at the definition of PI in the NFL, it was in fact, a good call:

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

famwam

Sep 8, 2011
I thought it was a blown call, but after looking at the definition of PI in the NFL, it was in fact, a good call:

NFL Rules Digest: Pass Interference

Yes, its THROUGH the back, not OVER the back without contact! I guess none of you Monday (or Friday) morning QBs have ever tried officiating? I know, because I have been a back judge before. So I do have a clue of what I'm talking about.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Yes, its THROUGH the back, not OVER the back without contact! I guess none of you Monday (or Friday) morning QBs have ever tried officiating? I know, because I have been a back judge before. So I do have a clue of what I'm talking about.
Obviously you don't know what you're talking about since I have officiated as well.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Hawk almost took Sproles out, it was the right call. Lets just say if Hawk hadn't hit Sproles, Sproles would have caught it.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
So you're just not going to respond to fact that Hawk hit him in the head before the ball got there?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I stayed at a holiday inn express, even the green bay one. Therefore, I say it was not a penalty, but understood the call from the replay. Great play, but as fast as things happen I give the benefit to the ref.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Hawk's knee/thigh is clearly making contact with Sproles THROUGH the back, BEFORE the ball is there. That. Is. Pass. Interference.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
So you're just not going to respond to fact that Hawk hit him in the head before the ball got there?
which took away his ability to jump, which took away his ability to catch, all before the ball got there. Yeah, that wasn't a PI :rolleyes:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Looked like a reasonable PI call to me, Hawk definitely made contact from the back. He was really out of position to make a play, Sproles did a good job of getting inside of him, thought it was a good call.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
On another not I can't believe new orleans tried to run it up the gut after that. Think they would have scored if they had a time out to talk it over.

AlleyAddict

Jan 19, 2010
Ames
He went over Sproles, not through him, but seeing where the ref that called it was standing, I can't blame him for making the call.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I doubted him until I found this pic of him officiating. famwam, they cut off half of your body in this pic...