TOM Preseason Rankings

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Welcome to TOM’s first ranking of the 2011-12 season. Comments are welcome and we hope you enjoy. Team Rankings are at the end of the Individual Rankings.
Also, we appreciate the feedback, but keep it civil. We miss things and it is not intentional. Bring it to our attention and we will take it into consideration for the next week. Make sure you visit our forums for discussion and banter.
These are our [COLOR=#0000ff !important][COLOR=#0000ff !important]preseason [COLOR=#0000ff !important]rankings[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] for the upcoming season. We have omitted [COLOR=#0000ff !important][COLOR=#0000ff !important]true [COLOR=#0000ff !important]freshman[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]. They will be added once the season starts and we see where they stand. Also, if we have some info wrong or if you feel we are incorrect on things such as redshirts, etc.. and you have clear proof that states such, please let us know. Note unless someone has told us that a [COLOR=#0000ff !important][COLOR=#0000ff !important]wrestler[/COLOR][/COLOR] is redshirting we left them in the rankings.
TOM DI College Preseason Wrestling Rankings 09.07.2011*|*The Open Mat

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Kind of a mixed bag for ISU. They show respect for our freshman with Finch and Moreno both ranked 20th and Gadsen 9th, but then turn around and rank Sorenson 10th behind Yohn and Toal, both of whom he beat late last season. He was ranked in the top 6 or 7 before his injury last year and the only reason I can see for him not to be in a similar position now is if they have concerns about his recovery. That said, I'd rather have him where he is. With his work ethic, he'll prove he belongs higher.

Ward, Spangler, and Simonson are all about right in my eyes but I could see any/all of them being AA's by the end of the season. The last I heard, Simonson's back still isn't right, so I don't know if he'll be the guy there or not. If he can't go, hopefully Gibson can stay eligible this season.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Last I heard simonson isn't going. Most likely done, hope I'm wrong. His knee was hurt also last year.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
He tore all 4 ligaments in his knee. Had surgery in Colorado shortly after Nationals. If ready, won't be until after the 1st of the year. Also heard Gibson put on about 20 pounds, which will help greatly. Quean Smith didn't qualify for D1 on a technicality, so not at Iowa State. Hopes to be here 2nd semester.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Spangler should be a lot higher. I think he will be the surprise of that weight. He will crush Lofthouse, I have no doubt about that.

With Simonson gone that weight loses depth fast. Smith not qualifying hurts as well. Swope is here right? We will need him to at least provide a good body in the room, and I could see him being good for us down the road.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Spangler should be a lot higher. I think he will be the surprise of that weight. He will crush Lofthouse, I have no doubt about that.

With Simonson gone that weight loses depth fast. Smith not qualifying hurts as well. Swope is here right? We will need him to at least provide a good body in the room, and I could see him being good for us down the road.

Also a Hwt kid from Kentucky

Lawrence, Christopher PL - 285 Fr. Louisville, Ky. (Saint Xavier)

Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
He tore all 4 ligaments in his knee. Had surgery in Colorado shortly after Nationals. If ready, won't be until after the 1st of the year. Also heard Gibson put on about 20 pounds, which will help greatly. Quean Smith didn't qualify for D1 on a technicality, so not at Iowa State. Hopes to be here 2nd semester.

I had forgotten about Simonson's knee. I hop he can get back for the 2nd semester. He could barely walk at conference and nationals but had a very respectable showing. I think he could AA if he's healthy.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Here's a breakdown of our roster. 44 kids out, which is great

125 - 8
133 - 6
141 - 2 (Max listed at 149)
149 - 5 (Weatherman listed at 157)
157 - 2 (Moreno listed at 165)
165 - 5
174 - 3 (Spangler listed at 165)
184 - 4 (Gadsen listed here)
197 - 4 (Hawes, Ward listed here)
Hwt - 5 (Lawrence Christopher of Ky listed and no Quean
That's 44

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I had forgotten about Simonson's knee. I hop he can get back for the 2nd semester. He could barely walk at conference and nationals but had a very respectable showing. I think he could AA if he's healthy.

Unable to walk was mostly from his back I heard. I was also told that is the same reason he is questionalble for the whole season. If the knee holds, I hope maybe the back holds up and we can at least use him sporatically if we need him.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Unable to walk was mostly from his back I heard. I was also told that is the same reason he is questionalble for the whole season. If the knee holds, I hope maybe the back holds up and we can at least use him sporatically if we need him.

I didn't get to see him wrestle at nationals, but I knew the back was the problem at conference. He really gutted it out. Didn't he wreck the knee in his last match out east?

ccubsfans

Dec 4, 2009

I agree Spangler should be higher, he beat Bailey, and then almost beat him on one leg later in the day at big twelve. he may not get the chance to wrestle Lofthouse rumor on hawk board is that he may be cutting to 65 and evans will be a 74. I guess we will have to wait and see. I believe Simonson also got into vet school, and that may be weighing on his decision. He will have to devote a lot of time to his studies.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Also a Hwt kid from Kentucky

Lawrence, Christopher PL - 285 Fr. Louisville, Ky. (Saint Xavier)
Do we know anything about Mr. Lawrence? Glad to see another body with Smith not getting here, but can we expect him to push anyone in the future? This is Gibson's weight this year by all accounts, but I think Swope has the potential to be a better version of Simonson. What can we expect from Lawrence?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I didn't get to see him wrestle at nationals, but I knew the back was the problem at conference. He really gutted it out. Didn't he wreck the knee in his last match out east?

I agree that he definitely was a warrior with the ailments on his back. I had forgot about vet school also. Yes, the last match is where he shredded his knee. You hate to see negative things happen to someone who gives his all like simonson does.

At least we have the numbers back up in the room. That is the first step. We need to give KJ a couple years to get these boys up to that Jr/Sr status. Hard to demand huge things when you are relying on freshman.

KJ told me that there looks to be some serious competition in the room this year. Said there may be many starters from last year that don't see the mat again if they don't improve substantially. Even though I said we can't demand huge things from freshman I know KJ is really high on these last two classes and is doing things right by taking time and redshirting most.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I assume Cash, Jones, Mayfield, Shafer, and Weatherman will have battles to get starting spots. The worst chance is Jones. Cash might end up with 133 this year, but will get tougher next. Shafer and Ward will battle 184, Cozart and Weatherman will battle 149, and Goettl and Mayfield will battle 141.

Rehab is actually going better for Kyle than planned. Not sure if he got into vet school yet. Last I heard he hadn't applied or hadn't heard. But is in his plans.

Do not know anything about Lawrence.