Panthers owner owns Cam Newton

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Carolina Panthers' Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton -- No tats, piercings - ESPN

The owner is technically Cam Newton's boss, but I think he's taking this a little too far. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but this looks really nasty from a race point of view. An old, rich man from the South acting as though he owns a young black man? Sounds like the Panthers' owner wants to revive Dixie.

He owns the team and pays him millions a year. I would say he can do whatever he wants.

C

CyBer

Yeah you can't really compare slavery to a million dollar player....

FarminCy

Nov 14, 2009
Nowhere and Everywhere

The owner is technically Cam Newton's boss, but I think he's taking this a little too far. I'm sure not everyone will agree with me, but this looks really nasty from a race point of view. An old, rich man from the South acting as though he owns a young black man? Sounds like the Panthers' owner wants to revive Dixie.

I don't know too many employers that don't have some sort of rules like that.

Most places you can't have visible tattoos, piercings (besides ears for women), and have outlandish hair. It's called a physical appearance and dress code.

This is another example of ESPN and other media outlets trying to make a story out of nothing.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

No it doesn't. Newton is an EMPLOYEE. And a very, very, very, very, very WELL-PAID one at that. Anyone who plays the race card here is way the hell off base.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
See, they should have put things like this is college contract too. Auburn isn't preparing these kids for the real world.

But seriously, MLK would be rolling over in his grave. All the sacrifices people have made for civil rights for people who were actually suffereing and now we've got people complaining that a guy getting paid millions of dollars has to follow a dress code at his job. Just another example of why anyone who takes ESPN seriously, has no mind of their own.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
See, they should have put things like this is college contract too. Auburn isn't preparing these kids for the real world.

But seriously, MLK would be rolling over in his grave. All the sacrifices people have made for civil rights for people who were actually suffereing and now we've got people complaining that a guy getting paid millions of dollars has to follow a dress code at his job. Just another example of why anyone who takes ESPN seriously, has no mind of their own.

I did enjoy how ESPN had the Steve Jobs story on their front page. Wonder what time they "broke" that story last night.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I don't see a problem with this at at all. Cam Newton is now the face the program and the owners want to keep it clean. Plus, he's probably doing him a favor since if he's as good in the NFL as he was in college, companies will be lining up for endorsement deals and he'll have a nice image to show off.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I don't think anyone would have a problem if it were a team rule, or organization rule, but this is the same guy who just signed Jeremy Shockey and now he is telling ONE guy that he can't do what everyone else is doing? If this was something they agreed on before the draft, then fine... But, unless it applies to everyone I dont like it...

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I don't think anyone would have a problem if it were a team rule, or organization rule, but this is the same guy who just signed Jeremy Shockey and now he is telling ONE guy that he can't do what everyone else is doing? If this was something they agreed on before the draft, then fine... But, unless it applies to everyone I dont like it...

Why? Shockey already had all the tat's. What's he going to have him do, remove them?

And Shockey is a TE while Newton is the QB and leader of the team. I don't think there is anything wrong with asking more out of the leader of your team than you ask from others on the team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron