Longhorn Network gets a carrier

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
figured this was coming since Verizon is a Sponsor of the LHN.. No surprise there...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I don't see any big carriers picking it up, including the satallite carriers. The only reason B1G Network went straight to DirecTV was DirecTV's ownership stake in the network... I wouldn't say Dish or DirecTV are into doing any favors for ESPN right about now.

Define big?

Top 25 Multichannel Video Programming Distributors as of Mar. 2011 - NCTA.com

Verizon is the 7th largest provider in the country. It looks like it will be on basic digital in Texas, and on the sports package for the rest of the country. It isn't huge, but it is a start. To make a go of it, they are going to have to get on with one or more of the big 4: Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, or Time Warner.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Define big?

Top 25 Multichannel Video Programming Distributors as of Mar. 2011 - NCTA.com

Verizon is the 7th largest provider in the country. It looks like it will be on basic digital in Texas, and on the sports package for the rest of the country. It isn't huge, but it is a start. To make a go of it, they are going to have to get on with one or more of the big 4: Comcast, DirecTV, Dish, or Time Warner.

How many subscribers do they have in texas is the real question.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
I don't see any big carriers picking it up, including the satallite carriers. The only reason B1G Network went straight to DirecTV was DirecTV's ownership stake in the network... I wouldn't say Dish or DirecTV are into doing any favors for ESPN right about now.

DirecTV has an ownership stake in the BTN? According to BTN's site, it's owned by the Big 10 Conference and Fox.

Big Ten Network Frequently Asked Questions - BIG TEN OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Q--Who owns the Big Ten Network?
A--The Big Ten Network will be majority owned by the Big Ten Conference with Fox Cable Networks holding a minority interest. Fox has a proven track record of successfully launching other channels, and we believe they will be a success factor in the launch of the Big Ten Network.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
DirecTV has an ownership stake in the BTN? According to BTN's site, it's owned by the Big 10 Conference and Fox.

Big Ten Network Frequently Asked Questions - BIG TEN OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE

Q--Who owns the Big Ten Network?
A--The Big Ten Network will be majority owned by the Big Ten Conference with Fox Cable Networks holding a minority interest. Fox has a proven track record of successfully launching other channels, and we believe they will be a success factor in the launch of the Big Ten Network.

Direct TV owned by Murdoch when BTN launched?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Longhorn Network Failing could be a good thing for the BigXII.....I think:confused:.
:realmad: NO!!! That is the one selling point our conference has. If the LHN tanks, then what good is courting BYU and ND if they want to bring in their own networks.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Cute.

LHN is going to need a lot more than Verizon FIOS in the Metroplex in order to tread water...

Not necessarily. It most definitely wouldn't hurt to land with Warner Bros. or Dish Net/Directv

Verizon is among the smallest carriers in Dallas-Fort Worth and Texas. It is available in fewer than 200,000 homes compared to market-leader Time Warner Cable’s approximately 600,000 homes. DirecTV and Dish, satellite carriers, have about 500,000 each...

In Dallas-Fort Worth, LHN will be available on the basic digital tier...

So it already has less than 200,000 subscribers right off the bat. It will be interesting to see how cable prices adjust for this new channel.

Verizon is not in the mix in Houston, San Antonio or Austin.
But Verizon is available in other markets around the country that will also offer LHN.

Assuming that the link I shared above is accurate, Verizon Fios is available in the following markets and would be offered on their sports tier:

Indianapolis
Washington DC
Philadelphia
Boston
Pittsburgh
New York
Seattle
Portland
Los Angeles

It depends on what sport-tier the LHN is put on, but if it is bundled with the Fox Sports channels, the LHN would reach a significant number of TVs (especially in baseball territories due to the MLB blackout policy).

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Cute.

LHN is going to need a lot more than Verizon FIOS in the Metroplex in order to tread water...

AGREE ..
Otherwise the rest of the conference is going to be subsidizing them.

So I guess the rest of the conference will get a network the hard way?
Time to look for a new conference, the B12 will soon be as insolvent as the SWC once was.

CC

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
AGREE ..
Otherwise the rest of the conference is going to be subsidizing them.

So I guess the rest of the conference will get a network the hard way?
Time to look for a new conference, the B12 will soon be as insolvent as the SWC once was.

CC

You're basing that on what?

CarrollCyclone

Jul 7, 2011
Longhorn Network announces small carriers - Houston Chronicle

Distributors for LHN at launch include Texas-based carriers: Consolidated Communications, Bay City Cablevision, Mid-Coast Cablevision and Texas Mid-Gulf Cablevision. Launching the LHN on Sept. 1 will be En-Touch Systems, E-Tex Communications, and Verizon Fios.

A limited launch for Longhorn Network - Houston Chronicle

As for DirecTV, spokesman Robert Mercer said that while discussions have taken place, "we have no plans right now to carry it. We understand Longhorn has other programming that may be of value to a small segment of our customers, but two UT football games do not constitute a network."