WBB: Pat Summitt diagnosed with dementia

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
Something like that is scarier to me than a heart attack or cancer:sad:

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
So sad, I always had a feeling the only thing holding her back from being the Joe Paterno of Womens College Basketball is sickness or death. I think she could have coached forever.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Though I'd never wish this on another, perhaps it will help bring attention to the possibility that illnesses and other health conditions can -- and do -- happen to anyone. It becomes so personal when it happens to someone we know.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
So sad, I always had a feeling the only thing holding her back from being the Joe Paterno of Womens College Basketball is sickness or death. I think she could have coached forever.

Agreed. She's only 59. Barring something like this, I would have expected her to go at least 15 more years.

gizzsdad

Mar 4, 2009

So disappointing. In reading the article - I had two thoughts: 1) I was struck by the maturity and thoughtfulness of her son's responses, and 2) My general impression is that earlier onsets of this disease are generally accompanied by faster progression.

Hopefully - medical advances will keep her coaching for awhile.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
This is sad news. My grandfather developed dementia in his later years, and although the last time I saw him in person was in 2003 (he died in '08) I could tell he definitely wasn't the same, and it was hard to see a once strong man who did very well for himself while healthy slowly disintegrate.

Best wishes to Coach Summit, her family, and the whole Volunteer family.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
terrible news for her and her family.

that being said - can't imagine the negative recruiting she and her program will face.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
terrible news for her and her family.

that being said - can't imagine the negative recruiting she and her program will face.
While I am sure recruits will take into account the fact that she may not be there, I believe the coaching community in women's basketball will not stoop so low as to actually use this as a pitch to prospective talent. Scott Drew does not coach women's basketball.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
While I am sure recruits will take into account the fact that she may not be there, I believe the coaching community in women's basketball will not stoop so low as to actually use this as a pitch to prospective talent. Scott Drew does not coach women's basketball.

you wait. it will be on the back of recruits minds and other coaches will prey on that.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Coach Fennelly disagrees with you and mentioned as much in an interview today. Unfortunately, coaches will still use it.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Coach Fennelly disagrees with you and mentioned as much in an interview today. Unfortunately, coaches will still use it.
I kind of hoped the recruiting in women's basketball was not as cutthroat, but that would be disappointing. The recruits know the deal, they don't need self-serving coaches preying on it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

But they're not above playing into homophobia and the like? Women's recruiting may be dirty in a different way, but it can still be dirty. I'm not saying everyone will sink to using this for negative recruiting, but you can bet some will.

NYCy

Feb 15, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I don't care about recruiting. I'm just so sad for Pat and her legions of fans, players, former players -- the entire Vol Family. Everyone who cares about her. Pat is beyond the game, an icon, a true hero of sport. She will continue coaching and I'm sure she will find a way to surprise us all with her excellence both on and off the court. Thank you Pat.

Life is long, but life is short.