Monday Musings: 8-22 Edition

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
*** Here’s an alarming statistic that I stumbled upon while working on Saturday night. Kansas State has beaten Iowa State in 17 of the last 21 meetings between the two schools. In the new Big 12, Iowa State absolutely has to turn that around. If not, bowl games could be few and far between.

I've been saying this since joining CF. Nothing pisses me off more than losing to K-State. That JUCO transfer team needs to be knocked down to the bottom of the conference. I'm sick of losing to them.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
I've been saying this since joining CF. Nothing pisses me off more than losing to K-State. That JUCO transfer team needs to be knocked down to the bottom of the conference. I'm sick of losing to them.

The series in KC was really frustrating... Felt like we should of won both of those games...

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
For most rivalries it's "just another trophy" and the game is all that matters; but come on- show me a more ridiculous trophy. I'm having nightmares about what it will look like hoisted above players' heads. Will they even be enthusiastic about it? What's offensive is the complete disregard for anything football or school related. There's no connection to the rivalry whatsoever. If you follow this design to the top you will find one or a few individuals with the power to choose a design of pure self interest and a "it's our money so we can put whatever we want on it and **** what anyone else thinks" attitude. I think it's digusting and I don't feel that I'm alone in feeling this way.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
For most rivalries it's "just another trophy" and the game is all that matters; but come on- show me a more ridiculous trophy. I'm having nightmares about what it will look like hoisted above players' heads. Will they even be enthusiastic about it? What's offensive is the complete disregard for anything football or school related. There's no connection to the rivalry whatsoever. If you follow this design to the top you will find one or a few individuals with the power to choose a design of pure self interest and a "it's our money so we can put whatever we want on it and **** what anyone else thinks" attitude. I think it's digusting and I don't feel that I'm alone in feeling this way.

You make valid points. I just don't care too much about the trophy.

And yes. I guarantee you that the teams will be enthusiastic about winning that game, regardless of what the trophy looks like. Kind of a big game to win.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB

im with Chris on this... Just win the damn game... F the trophy!!

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
From someone that played sports growing up, I could not care less about a trophy. Did you beat your rival? If yes, that's all you need. Who cares if the trophy is ugly? You don't take it home and put it for display anyways.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines

I don't get the deep hate for this thing. I don't like it but it's just a trophy. I'd rather be looking at it in the trophy case rather than not.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
What about national perception? Not like the nation is glued to its sets coast to coast on this one, but if they do watch how can they take it seriously once they see that oddball? I'm not saying the enthusiasm for the game will be lessoned any- I'm sure whoever wins will be ecstatic. Carrying it out of the stadium though? Might as well be carrying a box of tampons for your woman...

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Question?---It was my understanding that the scrimmage was open to Gridiron Club Members only.

Of the 800 members, approximately, how many were in attendance? ABOVE or BELOW 200?

nwiaclonefan

Mar 8, 2007
Question?---It was my understanding that the scrimmage was open to Gridiron Club Members only.

Of the 800 members, approximately, how many were in attendance? ABOVE or BELOW 200?

Sounded like above. No exact # for ya but i remember hearing it was the best turnout they've had for it.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006

I saw the number 400 thrown around somewhere on this site. Don't know if that was totally accurate though

rebecacy

Jan 31, 2007
From someone that played sports growing up, I could not care less about a trophy. Did you beat your rival? If yes, that's all you need. Who cares if the trophy is ugly? You don't take it home and put it for display anyways.
Until it got all ****ed - up ................... the tradition of the winning team running to the bench to get the trophy was the pinnacle pf the day -- remember when the hoks said it didn't matter but were tripping over themselves the day they ended the 5 year streak. It meant alot to many former players -- I have a picture of my son-in-law holding it above his head in my REC room that means alot to the whole family.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
You make valid points. I just don't care too much about the trophy.

And yes. I guarantee you that the teams will be enthusiastic about winning that game, regardless of what the trophy looks like. Kind of a big game to win.
Then perhaps you should be ticked that anyone bothered to make a new trophy . . ? Or wasted money on a terrible replacement trophy? Or showed the lack-of-foresight/intelligence to realize it has nothing to do with athletics, sports, football, or universities?

We should have just retired the trophy and played the game. But the debacle that has occurred instead . . .

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Until it got all ****ed - up ................... the tradition of the winning team running to the bench to get the trophy was the pinnacle pf the day -- remember when the hoks said it didn't matter but were tripping over themselves the day they ended the 5 year streak. It meant alot to many former players -- I have a picture of my son-in-law holding it above his head in my REC room that means alot to the whole family.

I'm pretty sure Robert Gallery's run across the field in 2003 is the fastest he has ever run in his life.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Then perhaps you should be ticked that anyone bothered to make a new trophy . . ? Or wasted money on a terrible replacement trophy? Or showed the lack-of-foresight/intelligence to realize it has nothing to do with athletics, sports, football, or universities?

We should have just retired the trophy and played the game. But the debacle that has occurred instead . . .

I'm not ticked at anybody about anything. I'm not saying that others can't be upset. It just isn't that big of a deal to me. What's wrong with that?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron