I think Iowa/ISU should play for John Wayne's hat.

cyclonefan1983

Feb 12, 2009
John Wayne, (an icon) and native Iowan....

We all know that his cowboy hat he wears in the movies is iconic so as a native Iowan he was that the the winner of the biggest football game in the state should get claim to his hat, it could be made in bronze.....

ISUKyro

Oct 28, 2006
Houston, TX
???????

Really?
Did he even stay in the state long after being born? I thought he was out west pretty fast. And on top of that not sure if he has any football relevance.
I vote for a no on this one.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Frodo.jpeg

Elijah Wood from Cedar Rapids, IA :pcute:

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Anything is better than what actually is the new trophy. How about they play for a pile of cow dung?

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
John Wayne played football for USC if I remember correctly so I dont think that would be a good idea since we already get confused.

Im tired of losing in state recruits to bigger name schools like USC!!!!!!

Last edited:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Wasnt Capt. Kirk supposed to be from iowa? Slap a bronze enterprise on top of the base and call it a day.

41gqlG77%2B9L._AA240_.jpg

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
???????

Really?
Did he even stay in the state long after being born? I thought he was out west pretty fast. And on top of that not sure if he has any football relevance.
I vote for a no on this one.

I don't know why people are so hung up on this one. What does a Jeweled Shillelagh (USC-ND) have to do with football? Or an Old Oaken Bucket (Michigan-Minnesota)? Or Paul Bunyan's Ax? Those are all just cool trophies.

I don't care that this trophy has nothing to do with football. I'm ticked because it's lame.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I don't know why people are so hung up on this one. What does a Jeweled Shillelagh (USC-ND) have to do with football? Or an Old Oaken Bucket (Michigan-Minnesota)? Or Paul Bunyan's Ax? Those are all just cool trophies.

I don't care that this trophy has nothing to do with football. I'm ticked because it's lame.

All of those grew more organically and had some history to them. Also, theyre simple, not something like this, trying (and failing) to tell a story with a trophy.

A big axe seems more like 'football' than this... the USC\ND and Mich\Minn trophies have things that represent the schools involved as big parts of the design.

This? This just seems more like 'well, iowa corn's sponsoring it now, so i guess we'll make the trophy all about them instead of highlighting the two schools'..

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
All of those grew more organically and had some history to them. Also, theyre simple, not something like this, trying (and failing) to tell a story with a trophy.

A big axe seems more like 'football' than this... the USC\ND and Mich\Minn trophies have things that represent the schools involved as big parts of the design.

This? This just seems more like 'well, iowa corn's sponsoring it now, so i guess we'll make the trophy all about them instead of highlighting the two schools'..

That's all true. But you would think there would be SOMETHING like that in our history to have a trophy that just seemed natural.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
That's all true. But you would think there would be SOMETHING like that in our history to have a trophy that just seemed natural.

I think there have been some good suggestions already for simple, effective trophies (such as the corn\football one). Or hell, just put both mascots on the top.

Help Support Us

Become a patron