Schedule with a 9 team conference

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

terryk

Apr 13, 2006
Grimes
My thought. First we drop the squaks. Next we do a home and home with the Florida directionals for recruiting. The other 3 games are always winnable home games. Thoughts?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
If we weren't going to drop the Hawks with 9 conference games, we're not going to drop them when we have 8.

I wouldn't mind the Big 12 staying at 9 teams, it is perfect for football. Regain stability and perhaps add teams to get back to 12 in a few years, and be selective, don't just add Houston for the hell of it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If we weren't going to drop the Hawks with 9 conference games, we're not going to drop them when we have 8.

I wouldn't mind the Big 12 staying at 9 teams, it is perfect for football. Regain stability and perhaps add teams to get back to 12 in a few years, and be selective, don't just add Houston for the hell of it.

See, i dont necessarily think houston would be 'just for the hell of it'.

40k students. $120mil new stadium in the works (and would have to think thatd get up-sized if they knew OU\TTU\Texas\Baylor would be coming to town), In one of the largest cities in the country, 6 bowls in the last 8 years.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
My thought. First we drop the squaks. Next we do a home and home with the Florida directionals for recruiting. The other 3 games are always winnable home games. Thoughts?
The best recruits in Florida aren't watching the "directionals". (Who are the directionals anyway?) Plus it would cost more to travel to Florida every other year than Iowa City, and not as much money would be brought in when hosting "Directional Florida" than would be when hosting Iowa. It becomes a lose-lose money factor.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Honestly, it works out alright for basketball, too. Instead of an 16-game conference slate where you play 2 teams just once, you can play everyone twice with the same number of games.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I said this in the other thread like this. SEC has gone to 13, they are going to go to 14. B1G, ACC, and Pac-12 are now all in a race to get to 14. We will no longer be a top notch conference at 9 when everyone else is at 14.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I said this in the other thread like this. SEC has gone to 13, they are going to go to 14. B1G, ACC, and Pac-12 are now all in a race to get to 14. We will no longer be a top notch conference at 9 when everyone else is at 14.

Number does not determine how 'top notch' you are. Performance on the field does. Otherwise the WAC wouldve been the best awhile back. (a lesson some conferences could learn from them, that bigger is not always better)

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Honestly, it works out alright for basketball, too. Instead of an 16-game conference slate where you play 2 teams just once, you can play everyone twice with the same number of games.

We have an 18-game conference schedule coming up with this 10 team conference.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines

big enough with the teams we would have left.. your telling me Texas, OU, OKie St, Missou wouldnt be players in a 9 team conference? They would. Also our teams wouldnt get beat up with a long conference schedule. Big 12 would have someone in the championship game more often then not. BIG 10, ACC, PAC 12, SEC will have a real tough time getting a undefeated team or a 1 loss team with these kind of super conferences they are predicting. Plus what happens when we go to a 16 team playoff? Have the best teams in the world wouldnt even make it because of these huge conferences... teams like Vtech, FSU if the join the SEC... theyd be better off staying ACC as the best two teams. Same with Miami.

Creed

Mar 14, 2011
Fort Dodge
The best recruits in Florida aren't watching the "directionals". (Who are the directionals anyway?) Plus it would cost more to travel to Florida every other year than Iowa City, and not as much money would be brought in when hosting "Directional Florida" than would be when hosting Iowa. It becomes a lose-lose money factor.

Central Florida and South Florida I believe.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Central Florida and South Florida I believe.
Ah. Florida Atlantic and Florida International were the teams coming to mind, and all I could think is that Atlantic and International aren't directionals. I completely blanked out on UCF and USF.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
I just cant understand how you guys can be content with sitting on our hands waiting for another team to leave. If we add 3 more we can at least with stand another team leaving.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I don't agree that ISU needs to play Florida schools. They do just fine getting kids out of that area right now.

Chizik, and Rhoads combined to recruit around 30 kids from Florida in just 5 classes. They already have the ties to the area. While regional exposure is good, recruiting has a lot to so with who you have on the staff. In ISU's case, Chizik had his old SEC connections, and Burnham has been a fixture in that area for probably 25 years.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
The only problem I see with a 9 team conference is 20% fewer conference match-ups than a 10 team conference, which would likely affect the size of a TV contract, even on a per capita basis.

If we can trade A&M for Notre Dame, I'd be thrilled. It's not going to happen, though.

Maybe we could get Baylor to hop ship and call in BYU, too. :jimlad: