Any word on Henry Simon?

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Has anyone heard about Henry Simon's status?? I know they made the Oni change to fill the Simon and Pouncey void. But I was hoping that Simon still might make it to campus considering it is always good to have depth at DT.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
Still hasn't qualified academically yet. Waiting on a few things. I'd say its a 50/50 at this point.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
From what I've heard, pretty much a complete no go. We'll know for sure in the next week.

I know with 5 deep now we are sitting okay, McD, Dutch, woods, Jenson and Omolie, after that it is very slim with black(tranfering), Pompey (knee) and Simon (grades). 1 or 2 injuries and we are hurting.... I personally think this is a bigger concern against teams like Okie State, Iowa, UCONN and K-state, than who the starting QB is....

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
I know with 5 deep now we are sitting okay, McD, Dutch, woods, Jenson and Omolie, after that it is very slim with black(tranfering), Pompey (knee) and Simon (grades). 1 or 2 injuries and we are hurting.... I personally think this is a bigger concern against teams like Okie State, Iowa, UCONN and K-state, than who the starting QB is....

Don't forget about Laing.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
If we are relying on a tFr to provide reps in games at the DT spot we are in trouble. Lots of it. I hope Jensen is ready, and Woods proves to be a contributor. We really needed more DTs in the rotation. I think McD and Ruemp will be tough at the top, but without depth teams are going to grind our guys down.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

Offensive production is going to be crucial to minimize our defensive players time on the field. Depth at DL is good for injuries, but for results we need well rested players - not guys who have to come back on the field after a 3-and-out series. QB & receiver production as well as extended offensive drives should translate to more success on the defensive side of the ball.

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Offensive production is going to be crucial to minimize our defensive players time on the field. Depth at DL is good for injuries, but for results we need well rested players - not guys who have to come back on the field after a 3-and-out series. QB & receiver production as well as extended offensive drives should translate to more success on the defensive side of the ball.

We need production from offense I do agree but honestly, when playing grind it out still team, like the ones above a lack of depth in DL can hurt worse... Good cath on Laing, for whatever reason the roster still has him as DE, that does make me feel a little better, but one or two injuries over the course of the season and the lack of depth becomes very evident.....

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

If we can make it to conference play, we can then always switch to a three man from. We did it a little last year against Mizzou. I don't think it will happen, but I think we have the LBers and maybe the secondary to do that if it has to be done. Obviously, that's not the ideal situation.