Big time recruits at ISU

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to but who was the last big time recruit that actually panned out in Ames? I'm convinced that ISU is a place where hard work trumps talent with the kids in our program. I'm thinking either Seneca or Reggie Hayward were the last big time prospects to have a respectable career

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Reggie Hayward would be my best answer and I'm not sure how "big time" he was really considered as a recruit.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Since star ratings and bcs offers are pretty much a must by most people on this site, I would say a "big time" player would be somebody with more than 6 bcs offers or someone with 4 stars or higher...like I said, I don't follow recruiting so I don't know who would fit this bill.

Just seems like the 4* guys have never panned out here recently like jj bass and sed johnson

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Wasn't Aaron Brant (sp?) pretty highly recruited? He had a nice career.

cyfan4St8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2008
Iowa
Austin flynn is up their when you go by stars, I believe he was a four star

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Agreed. One could argue Leonard Johnson was big-time if you look at the schools we beat out for him. He's certainly had a nice career so far.

Using his definition of big time recruit (6 BCS offers or 4*), I also think it would be LJ.

LJ had offers from us, South Florida, Ole Miss, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, and West Virginia for BCS programs.

Link

EDIT: I went back to 2008 and looked at every class from then until now looking for more players that would qualify under the criteria of a 3* with minimum 6 BCS offers or a 4*, while being or becoming respectable contributors (Sorry, Sedrick). These all did:

Ter'Ran Benton (8 BCS offers)
Jerome Tiller (7 BCS offers)
Darius Reynolds (4*)
Anthony Young (4*)
DeVondrick Nealy (14 BCS offers!)

Shontrelle and Pompey also had 5 BCS offers apiece as 3*.

Kinda funny to go back and look at some of these recruits. David Sims coming in as a 2*, wow.

Last edited:

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
Using his definition of big time recruit (6 BCS offers or 4*), I also think it would be LJ.

LJ had offers from us, South Florida, Ole Miss, Illinois, Michigan, Nebraska, and West Virginia for BCS programs.

Link

EDIT: I went back to 2008 and looked at every class from then until now looking for more players that would qualify under the criteria of a 3* with minimum 6 BCS offers or a 4*, while being or becoming respectable contributors (Sorry, Sedrick). These all did:

Ter'Ran Benton (8 BCS offers)
Jerome Tiller (7 BCS offers)
Darius Reynolds (4*)
Anthony Young (4*)
DeVondrick Nealy (14 BCS offers!)

Shontrelle and Pompey also had 5 BCS offers apiece as 3*.

Kinda funny to go back and look at some of these recruits. David Sims coming in as a 2*, wow.

David Sims was a four star that committed to Oklahoma and didn't make it on campus. I don't think he ever got re-rated and I'm pretty sure that those two stars are just standard unless the player is rated.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I don't follow recruiting as much as I used to but who was the last big time recruit that actually panned out in Ames? I'm convinced that ISU is a place where hard work trumps talent with the kids in our program. I'm thinking either Seneca or Reggie Hayward were the last big time prospects to have a respectable career

Austin flyin wad a four star that worked out. Not sure how highly ranked berryman was or C.urvey

Help Support Us

Become a patron