Starter and all, Shontrelle wants to return kicks

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
We are so deep at RB that I would much rather see someone else back returning kicks than Shontrelle. He's a big play threat, but I think it's too risky, plus we want his legs fresh for the first play of the drive.

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
SJ might want to return kicks but I just don't see any way we let him. We have enough players that are able to do it, and we can't afford for him to get hurt on kicks and being tired.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
+10000, however, he may be wanting to add that to his resume'.

I think bodes well that he says he wants the ball in his hands.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Put James White back there, not SJ.

Will LJ really be returning kicks again this year? I know he has had some success but really don't want to end his season or have him miss a game because of a KR.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
I want Jarvis West back there. Very fast and very elusive.
Horne has stolen some of his thunder in the receiving game, so it seems like returning kicks is an area where he could really shine.

Jarvis makes the most sense imo

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I think that kick return is too big of a play to bench him IMO. We are deep enough at RB to afford SJ returning kicks. When SJ is not in at RB, we dont lose the ability to pick up yards, we lose big play potential. Well, not many plays have as much big play potential as kickoff return. This all has to deal with stamina and not injury possibility, which is another thing entirely.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
What about that kid from Omaha...wasn't he a returner? Or the one from St. Louis? Or are those guys rs/2012 kids?

EDIT: I was thinking Lampkin, Standard and Nealy. Weren't these guys good returners/ track guys? Lampkin I thought could help right away unless they're gonna use RS on them. Anybody know right now on these 3 or still to early to tell?

Last edited:

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
We are so deep at RB that I would much rather see someone else back returning kicks than Shontrelle. He's a big play threat, but I think it's too risky, plus we want his legs fresh for the first play of the drive.

They ought to give Lampkin or Nealy a shot at kickoff returns. I think they could potentially be just as dangerous back there as SJ.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
The best guy should be back there. Between Kirby and our best returners, we should be able to win the field position battle in almost any game we play. If it's our starting running back, so be it. Especially since he has a "bring it on" mentality about it.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I want Jarvis West back there. Very fast and very elusive.
Horne has stolen some of his thunder in the receiving game, so it seems like returning kicks is an area where he could really shine.

Jarvis makes the most sense imo

Id like it to be West too, if not Lampkin or Nealy.

CycloneWarrior

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 10, 2008
Urbandale,Ia
Put James White back there, not SJ.

Will LJ really be returning kicks again this year? I know he has had some success but really don't want to end his season or have him miss a game because of a KR.

Same. Idk who will be returning kicks but I just remember how crappy I felt for Deandre jackson when he blew out his knee on a kick return. That injury cost him his NFL draft stock

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Same. Idk who will be returning kicks but I just remember how crappy I felt for Deandre jackson when he blew out his knee on a kick return. That injury cost him his NFL draft stock

Or Leslie Frazier of the 85 Chicago Bears who blew his knee on a trick play kickoff return in the Super Bowl after the game was already won.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

“As a staff, with Coach Rhoads making the final call, we will see how much Shontrelle can handle,â€￾ said Iowa State’s kickoff return coordinator and wide receivers coach Courtney Messingham. “I want him back there obviously because I think that he is an explosive player who can make big plays for us.â€￾

It seems a little odd for an assistant coach to be talking like this to the media. However, it is so much better than during the Chizik era when no one ever said anything of substance in public. Rhoads is really cool about letting things lay out before the media.

Shontrelle might say that he wants to return kicks, but if I were the coach, I would have just said "He is an awesome threat when he has the ball in his hands and we want our guys to want the ball in their hands. We'll let you know soon who will be returning kicks."

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron