Why i already like the new NFL CBA....

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
My Boyz today signed their #1 draft choice #9 overall Tyson Smith OT from USC.

Last years #9 pick was BJ Raji and his contract was 5 years and 28.5 million dollars.

This years #9 pick contract at 4 years 12.5 million dollars.

I love that these young guys that have done nothing in the pros are not consuming all this salary cap money thus making the team worse as they cannot sign anyone else.....

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Last year's #9 pick was C.J. Spiller.

BJ Raji was #9 overall in 2009.

But your point is absolutely right.

Last edited:

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
I also like the fact that there shouldn't be any huge holdouts from first rounders anymore. With a wage scale system, its take it or sit out for the whole year.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I always thought that was ridiculous. Rookies shouldn't be getting paid more than veterans who have actually done something in the league.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I'm still trying figure out how Kolb gets so much money for having done nothing.
One good start against the Chiefs in 2009, and suddenly the guy is worth a second rounder and a guy drafted in the first round just 3 years ago and has 13 career interceptions.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I always thought that was ridiculous. Rookies shouldn't be getting paid more than veterans who have actually done something in the league.

i always hated that too. Guys like Sam Bradford could come in and make more than guys like Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers.

I'm sure veterans were in total agreement with the owners to regulate rookie salaries

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
One good start against the Chiefs in 2009, and suddenly the guy is worth a second rounder and a guy drafted in the first round just 3 years ago and has 13 career interceptions.

I love my Eagles. Great ownership and front office. I can't think of too many bad moves they have made. There are some but very few.
I love this move. The Eagles defense centers around those corners being able to be on islands Samuels on one side and Rodgers-Cromartie on the other makes a great tandem. Now we just need a decent back up which I am not worried about too much because Kafka could easily step into that role.

I also think Arizona got a good QB. I wouldn't have minded having Kolb and he was the starter last year until getting hurt. In the end a win win for both teams but I think Philly got the better end because they got the extra draft pick

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
i always hated that too. Guys like Sam Bradford could come in and make more than guys like Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers.

I'm sure veterans were in total agreement with the owners to regulate rookie salaries

The one I thought was ridiculous was Jake Long. He walked into the league as the highest paid Tackle in the game, having never played a down. That's indefensible. Granted, he's turned out the be pretty good, but any system that allows for a rookie player to earn more than the best player at his position right out of the gate is severely flawed.

AllBig12Drinker

Dec 7, 2009
West Des Moines
My Boyz today signed their #1 draft choice #9 overall Tyson Smith OT from USC.

Last years #9 pick was BJ Raji and his contract was 5 years and 28.5 million dollars.

This years #9 pick contract at 4 years 12.5 million dollars.

I love that these young guys that have done nothing in the pros are not consuming all this salary cap money thus making the team worse as they cannot sign anyone else.....

Agree, to me, this was the biggest flaw with the NFL. I think it's the best sports league hands down. Yeah, over college football (not to derail the thread).

The league had too many flops, every body remembers Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, Jamarcus Russell, and there were more. So much better for that money to go to guys who have earned it.

Now if they will expand to a 16 team playoff, even better. I'm glad they are starting the season late, gives us football until early February.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Agree, to me, this was the biggest flaw with the NFL. I think it's the best sports league hands down. Yeah, over college football (not to derail the thread).

The league had too many flops, every body remembers Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandarich, Jamarcus Russell, and there were more. So much better for that money to go to guys who have earned it.

Now if they will expand to a 16 team playoff, even better. I'm glad they are starting the season late, gives us football until early February.

It's not really starting later than normal. The season only starts one day later than it did last year, and the Super Bowl is actually one day earlier.

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
The best evaluation of the system was Jamarcus Russell. With him signing a huge contract and then being a complete flop - he earned a pile of money and never had to earn it in the nfl - he earned it while in college on a free ride against lesser talent.

Now the problem is the whole basis of the draft is to provide a more equal level of talent on the field (unless you make a lot of bad decisions - Raiders)....However, by the time you got done signing your draft class from the upper tier of the draft you have no money left over to sign free agents. It actually hurts your team to improve quickly by signing veteran players that know what their doing.

This over time will help to even out the playing field and make the league more competitive top to bottom.

K