NFL: Bears Shopping Greg Olsen

cigaretteman

Nov 8, 2006
Iowa
Drew Rosenhaus did not jump the gun: Chicago Bears tight end Greg Olson is very much in play, according to NFL personnel sources.

The timing may seem curious, but trading was not permitted until the league opened the doors for business Tuesday morning. The Bears must have made the determination during the four-month lockout that they can improve their offense by moving in a different direction.

As the Tribune reported Thursday, Rosenhaus sent an email Wednesday night to all 32 teams, including the Bears, announcing that he had permission to seek a trade.

“The Bears have granted me permission to seek a trade for Greg Olsen,â€￾ Rosenhaus wrote in the email the Tribune received from an NFL personnel source. “Please let me know if interested. Sounds like the Bears will be very reasonable on the compensation in return for Greg.â€￾

Eleven minutes later, Rosenhaus sent another mass email to the same recipients, including Angelo and Stein, asking them to ignore his previous message.

“Please disregard my previous email regarding Greg Olsen,â€￾ the one-sentence email said.

However, a separate NFL source called this morning and said the word is the Bears are still working to trade Olsen whether they’re enlisting the help of Rosenhaus or not.
NFL sources confirm Bears are shopping Olsen - chicagotribune.com

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Looks like the Bears are trying for a unique strategy: Getting rid of one the only good receiving threat on the team. If they get rid of Olson they will have one of the worst group of receivers and tight ends ever assembled, plus a crappy offensive line and an aging defense. From the looks of things on the SI.com free agency tracker they are also trying to fill any remaining holse with undrafted rookie free agents, but only the ones from an unknown university.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Go get him, Colts! A two TE set with him and a healthy Dallas Clark would make their passing game damn near unstoppable. If he can be had for a 4th or 5th rounder then go for it.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I really don't get what Angelo is doing right now. There is talk that Kreutz is going to San Fran and we have no back up plan.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I really don't get what Angelo is doing right now. There is talk that Kreutz is going to San Fran and we have no back up plan.

I think he is trying to get Jay Cutler killed because now not only will the offensive line suck but there will be even fewer people to pass to.

But seriously, the guy needs his head examined. Why the heck would you go out and trade for Cutler if you aren't going get him playmakers to be able to get the ball to or anyone to protect him? He needs to go. The managment of the Cubs and Bears is seriously lacking.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
And now the Bears have sign former Steelers tight end Matt Spaeth, basically assuring Greg Olsen will not be back with the Bears.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
I guess the Bears are still going with the Devin Hester as a top receiver experiment.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
biggs_twitter_pic_12-09_normal.jpg

BradBiggs Brad Biggs

Maybe Greg Olsen stays? #Bears will release Brandon Manumaleuna.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
It is really hard to figure out exactly what they are trying to do with the offense, besides have it rely on Defense. There is talent there, but they just do not seem committed to improving the O Line or Receiver core which have been bad for years.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
really, really don't get that one. I understand that Martz doesn't use a tight end, but you have to think Olsen was athletic enough to play in that system.
What I don't get is during the 2010 NFL Draft, the Bears and Patriots had a deal worked out of Greg Olsen for a 2nd round pick, but for whatever reason, the deal fell through.

Now we'll probably find out the Bears get a backup linebacker and a 6th round pick from the Panthers for Olsen.