video board

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
is just awesome. a lot more overwhelming when you see it person. i took a trip to Ames today... looks fantastic. the supports look different then the renderings, which is a good thing. a lot more square shape supports then the ones over 235, very cool.

terryk

Apr 13, 2006
Grimes
is just awesome. a lot more overwhelming when you see it person. i took a trip to Ames today... looks fantastic. the supports look different then the renderings, which is a good thing. a lot more square shape supports then the ones over 235, very cool.

+1 we went up last weekend.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
is just awesome. a lot more overwhelming when you see it person. i took a trip to Ames today... looks fantastic. the supports look different than the renderings, which is a good thing. a lot more square shape supports than the ones over 235, very cool.

I usually dont do this, but twice in one post set me over the edge.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

zwclones51

Aug 4, 2010
West Des Moines
Turn on Mediacom 22 right now if you are in Ames. The Shrine Bowl is on and they show the score board quite a bit. It's definitely bigger than I once had thought. It almost looks like the Video Board takes up all but 5 yards on each side of between the numbers on the field. Looks pretty sweet too on T.V Excited to see it when all the advertising is up on it and the speakers are installed as well.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
Kind of like the Grand Canyon or Sara Jessica Parker, pictures don't do them justice, you have to see it for yourself!

Just turned it over to Mediacom 22 per previous suggestion, bright green grass with cardinal colored wall in background equals beautiful sight.

Last edited:

kcclones

Mar 23, 2006
Kansas City
I went this weekend to look as well. I thought the screen itself was going to be a little bigger. They have left a lot of room for speakers(much needed) and ads on the sides. It is going to be great, but was a bit surprised.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Appears to be some kind of fabric and you can see it flapping on the webcam. Probably temporary and they can change it out for ads and whatnot once the season starts.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Appears to be some kind of fabric and you can see it flapping on the webcam. Probably temporary and they can change it out for ads and whatnot once the season starts.

I think the ads show up on the video portion of the board.

I wonder if it's fabric to help the board "breathe" a bit instead of having to have fans to control the temperature of the whole thing?

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I went over to Ames on the 4th of July weekend to see the structure. I'm planning on another trip over once they get it a little more finished. Probably some Saturday in August.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

The fabric is permanent. It is a fabric to let the sound through. Of course for several million dollars, JP might put a new cover with a new name on it.

Last edited:
C

CyBer

I think the ads show up on the video portion of the board.

I wonder if it's fabric to help the board "breathe" a bit instead of having to have fans to control the temperature of the whole thing?

I agree with this, I think that the "fabric" is permanent.

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
The fabric is permanent. It is a fabric to let the sound through. Of course for several million dollars, JP might put a new cover with a new name on it.

This is why I thought they would be temporary. Hard to believe there isn't a sponsor out there that wouldn't like their logo on either side of this screen. How much did Pioneer pay to get on Hilton's floor?

M6WS6

Jan 24, 2011
Ames, IA
This is why I thought they would be temporary. Hard to believe there isn't a sponsor out there that wouldn't like their logo on either side of this screen. How much did Pioneer pay to get on Hilton's floor?

It was planned like this all along. Not to say it doesnt change someday. For now they are using the screen to display advertisements.

Renderings For Jack Trice Stadium Videoboard Display - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports