people complaining about the cost of our scoreboard

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines
Has anyone else run into a lot of people(isu and non isu fans) who are upset about ISU spending so much on our new scoreboard? I've had quite a few people saying they don't get how teachers salaries are being cut and how that should be spent on that. Or how it should be spent for other departments of colleges at the university.

From my understanding, the scoreboard is being financed, and it will be paid for mostly by the money from the future big XII tv deals and the extra income. That money isn't spent anywhere else but athletics right?

I understand that it's Iowa State UNIVERSITY and that it's purpose is for education. But why can't people understand that if you took away athletics that not only would the school die, but the town would be devastated. Is it a shame that athletics is a huge business and that sometimes education gets overshadowed by athletics? But if football and athletics become self sustainable, that will be a huge lift for the university as a whole.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Re: people compaining about the cost of our scoreboard

Some people don't realize the world we live in.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines

Yes, Athletics money is separate from that of the university, except for the base salaries that coaches make (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

The scoreboard was financed through athletics...Maybe I saw it on here, but wasn't it mentioned that the money we received from Nebby and CU leaving was used for the scoreboard?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

Has anyone else run into a lot of people(isu and non isu fans) who are upset about ISU spending so much on our new scoreboard? I've had quite a few people saying they don't get how teachers salaries are being cut and how that should be spent on that. Or how it should be spent for other departments of colleges at the university.

From my understanding, the scoreboard is being financed, and it will be paid for mostly by the money from the future big XII tv deals and the extra income. That money isn't spent anywhere else but athletics right?

I understand that it's Iowa State UNIVERSITY and that it's purpose is for education. But why can't people understand that if you took away athletics that not only would the school die, but the town would be devastated. Is it a shame that athletics is a huge business and that sometimes education gets overshadowed by athletics? But if football and athletics become self sustainable, that will be a huge lift for the university as a whole.
The athletic department is self-sufficient except for a very small amount of dollars from the general fund which are being phased out. In short, if the athletic dept didn't exist, the money for the scoreboard wouldn't exist. So anyone who is upset about how much money it cost is completely misguided.

I'm always amused there is a huge uproar when an ISU coach tops the list of the highest-paid state employees, but when an Iowa coach tops the list there is no such uproar. That always sets off the "do-gooders" who say we should be spending our money on feeding starving children. What they universally fail to understand is little, if any, of those salaries come from taxpayer dollars.

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN

yeah, pretty sure its all funded from the athletics budget and has no impact on the rest of the university's budget.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

Yes, Athletics money is separate from that of the university, except for the base salaries that coaches make (someone correct me if i'm wrong)

The scoreboard was financed through athletics...Maybe I saw it on here, but wasn't it mentioned that the money we received from Nebby and CU leaving was used for the scoreboard?

I'm almost sure coaches salaries are paid out of the AD's budget. Ferentz is the highest paid state employee, but your tax $$$$ aren't being used to pay it. I'd assume once ISU's AD hits self sufficient status we'll have the same story here.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006

No, I haven't run into ANYONE who is upset about the scoreboard. Only those interested would know about it for the most part.

Apr 19, 2006

Did any of them happen to comment how good it looks? My nephew went to the Shrine game and said it looks great. Just curious if anybody else was at the shrine game and saw it in person. Pictures are good and all, but usually they don't do it justice.

About the moaners? You will always have those people who will ***** about something. The grass is green no it's not it's more of a fuchsia color.

bigcyfan82

Aug 30, 2008
Des Moines

I'm almost sure coaches salaries are paid out of the AD's budget. Ferentz is the highest paid state employee, but your tax $$$$ aren't being used to pay it. I'd assume once ISU's AD hits self sufficient status we'll have the same story here.

Hmm, interesting. I thought that whatever the base salary ($500,000 for example) came from the university. The rest of their money was paid from athletics, camps, radio, tv, etc.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

Hmm, interesting. I thought that whatever the base salary ($500,000 for example) came from the university. The rest of their money was paid from athletics, camps, radio, tv, etc.
I do not believe this is true at all and never has been as far as I know.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL

This thread is the very first time I have ever heard/read of somebody complaining about the cost of the videoboard.

isubeatle

Aug 9, 2006
Des Moines

I haven't heard any of this backlash regarding how much it costs... Where have you seen/heard such people??

just people i know. mostly non isu fans, but for example one of my friends works for Reiman Gardens and is upset because they need money. One of them is my aunt who did graduate from Iowa, but also said she hates the fact that Ferentz is paid so much. Another is an art student friend of a friend that is upset that they need money to etc etc.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

just people i know. mostly non isu fans, but for example one of my friends works for Reiman Gardens and is upset because they need money. One of them is my aunt who did graduate from Iowa, but also said she hates the fact that Ferentz is paid so much.
Every department on campus thinks they need more money. There is so much bloat and wasted money it isn't even funny.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky

just people i know. mostly non isu fans, but for example one of my friends works for Reiman Gardens and is upset because they need money. One of them is my aunt who did graduate from Iowa, but also said she hates the fact that Ferentz is paid so much. Another is an art student friend of a friend that is upset that they need money to etc etc.

Well you can tell them to shut up, because it was used by AD money. No university funds or tax dollars were used.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

The typical anti-growth Ames resident uses this line everytime a new ISU athletics project is announced: they should be using the money to pay professors more, cut tuition, blah blah blah. These people don't acknowledge that there is a big wide world all around them, full of people with all sorts of different interests that have nothing to do with their narrow minded world. They should be ignored or at the very least, one must understand that they do not think like the rest of us and live in their own sad and boring world.

And as of this fiscal year, ISU AD is free of general fund money.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

That faction of ignorant anti-athletics people has always existed. And Iowa State's club is more vigorous in their ignorance than most.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around

This thread is the very first time I have ever heard/read of somebody complaining about the cost of the videoboard.
Same here. I've never heard a word about it.

Besides, if ya got it, flaunt it and Iowa State's got it!

Apr 19, 2006

That faction of ignorant anti-athletics people has always existed. And Iowa State's club is more vigorous in their ignorance than most.

Tell them no trees were harmed in this process and get back to hugging said tree.:wideeyed: