MLB: Sox and Cards Talking Rasmus

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I guess the Cards are receptive to a deal with the White Sox with Edwin Jackson and/or Matt Thornton as the main pieces. No idea if any prospects would be involved, but the Sox only have one.

Reactions: cyfanatic

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
If this results in rasmas playing everyday id be more than happy as his fantasy owner ... This last week has been frustrating ... Also the 'cell' is a park i could see him hitting well in

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
i hope the cards say NO.....Colby is a good young player who is not up for arbritration for a couple more years = cheap CF!

need to save money

CloneState1028

Jan 21, 2008
Ames, IA via Cedar Rapids
Money isn't a problem for the Cardinals. Pitching is.

Very, very false. The Cardinals HAVE to hold on to cost-controlled players with potential. It's not all about this season. If the Cardinals are going to try and re-sign Pujols, money HAS to be the forefront of every single deal. Rasmus is a young cost-controlled center fielder and that is hard to come by. If they do feel the need to trade Rasmus, they had better be receiving some cost-controlled talent in return. Jackson and/or Thornton are not what St. Louis needs. Besides, Theriot is the biggest issue in St. Louis right now. He is terrible.

Jackson becomes a free agent after this season and Thornton is a very expensive reliever (Making $5M+) for the next few years. I say no way to this deal, unless there is something we don't know about.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Am I the only Cards fan that doesn't want the team to sign Pujols to a ten year 300 million dollar deal?

That will result in the demise of the team IMO. Pujols is a greedy jerk if he's really asking for that kind of a deal. Unless he wants the Cardinals to be terrible for as long as he's there?

Reminds me of A-Rod when he went to the Rangers and took 250 million, and then whined and complained that the team didn't go out and get good players to surround him with. Excuse me? The Rangers didn't have any money left to go get anyone else after paying you A-Rod.

Same with the Colts and Peyton Manning. On the one hand, Manning demands to be paid more than anyone else in the NFL, while on the other hand also asking for the Colts to go out and get him some elite WR's to throw to. Unreal. Is it more important to win, or to get paid? I don't care which one you choose, you have every right to get what you can financially, but don't then blame the team for not getting other good talent to surround you with.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
If this results in rasmas playing everyday id be more than happy as his fantasy owner ... This last week has been frustrating ... Also the 'cell' is a park i could see him hitting well in

I'd be disappointed since my fantasy league is NL only. Finally got an HR today

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Rasmus has been underperforming and with Berkman, Holliday, and Jay looking like everyday guys, plus Descalso also looking like a solid utilityman, I don't mind departing with Colby - as long as the deal is good. Let's get some relief help and a middle infielder in return.

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm not sure why the White Sox would want another outfielder when they look to probably have Dayan Viciedo out there in some respect and still have Alex Rios signed for a couple of years and probably will try to resign Quentin. Lillibridge looks to stay in the mix also so that outfield looks crowded for the next couple of years.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Rasmus has been underperforming and with Berkman, Holliday, and Jay looking like everyday guys, plus Descalso also looking like a solid utilityman, I don't mind departing with Colby - as long as the deal is good. Let's get some relief help and a middle infielder in return.

If the cards are going to give up a starting CF that makes less than $1MM / year, they better be getting someone that they can put into the rotation. Not just for this year, but for the next few years. Carp is getting old, Waino is coming off Tommy John, and McCellean is not a solid starter.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
If the Cardinals are asking for only Edwin or Thornton, I would think Rasmus would have been sent to Chicago seconds after St. Louis made the offer.

Cyclone_Grav

Jul 13, 2007
Des Moines
Its been well documented that La Russa isn't exactly the biggest fan of Rasmus. I think that has a lot to do with him being shopped around. Honestly, I like what I have seen from Jon Jay more than Rasmus. If the Cards think that Jay can be an everyday CF and can hit in the 1 or 2 hole I say go ahead and deal Colby. I doubt the Cardinals re sign Carp at the end of the year so getting a good, young stater who can fill in the 3 or 4 starters spot is a must. I personally am not high on Jackson, but then again I have questioned many of the pitchers the Cards have brought in and it always seems like they work out pretty well. I guess if Tony and Dave Duncan are for it then Im ok with it too.

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
I hope he's in the lineup tomorrow night. Our version of the Griswold's family vaca heading to STL in the morn. Me, wife, our 2 kids, Dad, step-mom, and 2 other grandkids. Staying until Wed, going to game tomorrow.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It would be idiotic for the Sox to trade either one for Rasmus - Jackson is a much more valuable player that Rasmus would be, and Thornton is too valuable from the left side to part with.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
It would be idiotic for the Sox to trade either one for Rasmus - Jackson is a much more valuable player that Rasmus would be, and Thornton is too valuable from the left side to part with.

I completely disagree.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Jackson is signed for another two months and Rasmus is 24 years old with a boat load of potential. How is it dumb?

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006

Your nuts, Rasmus is a former top 5 MLB prospect who is half a season off of an .850 OPS at a premium defensive position(CF) and is under team control for 3 more years following this one. He a potential star. Jackson meanwhile is a maddeningly inconsistent SP who is a FA following this year and Thorton is a excellent but aging RP. Rasmus is easily worth one or the other of those plus a quality prospect.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Your nuts, positionRasmus is a former top 5 MLB prospect who is half a season off of an .850 OPS at a premium defensive (CF) and is under team control for 3 more years following this one. He a potential star. Jackson meanwhile is a maddeningly inconsistent SP who is a FA following this year and Thorton is a excellent but aging RP. Rasmus is easily worth one or the other of those plus a quality prospect.
So...why would the Cards be interested in trading him? Just because he doesn't get along with LaRussa? Who really does?
Jackson I guess I could maybe see, but not Thornton. He's untouchable, IMO.

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
Am I the only Cards fan that doesn't want the team to sign Pujols to a ten year 300 million dollar deal?

That will result in the demise of the team IMO. Pujols is a greedy jerk if he's really asking for that kind of a deal. Unless he wants the Cardinals to be terrible for as long as he's there?

Reminds me of A-Rod when he went to the Rangers and took 250 million, and then whined and complained that the team didn't go out and get good players to surround him with. Excuse me? The Rangers didn't have any money left to go get anyone else after paying you A-Rod.

Same with the Colts and Peyton Manning. On the one hand, Manning demands to be paid more than anyone else in the NFL, while on the other hand also asking for the Colts to go out and get him some elite WR's to throw to. Unreal. Is it more important to win, or to get paid? I don't care which one you choose, you have every right to get what you can financially, but don't then blame the team for not getting other good talent to surround you with.
I don't think many fans of any team want their team to give him that kind of dough, way too risky.