Iowa's Superbowl

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Sorry guys, going to have to skip the CU game this weekend for the Superbowl of Iowa.
#5 Central at my #13 Wartburg Knights.
9-0 vs 8-1. Both undefeated in Iowa Conference action and the winner goes to the playoffs, the way football should be done.
145 kids from Iowa on the Wartburg roster
102 kids from Iowa at Central.
This will be the 6th year in a row and the 9th out of the last 10 times these teams have played that the winner is the conf. champ.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Wartburg all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Central will have a hard time throwing the ball with the Wartburg pass rush hopefully.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Wartburgs football stadium is going to look awesome when the new $30 million rec center is finished.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Have to jump on the Central side of this. With playing baseball for Upper Iowa(while we were still in the same conference.) I cannot bring myself to cheer for Wartburg, no matter how hard I try or how much fun I used to have at Joe's.

chadm

Giving it a go
Apr 11, 2006
Midwest
Wartburgs football stadium is going to look awesome when the new $30 million rec center is finished.

care-1.jpg

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
I know a kid who plays football for Central, but I almost went to Wartburg and have a good contingent of friends there, so go Knights!

And I don't know if you can call this the Super Bowl of Iowa, but it is nice that there are tons of kids from Iowa playing in the game that means so much.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Go Central.. i was sctually going to go to central.. but when i found out grand view was getting a football team.. i decided to go there.. but im not starting til either next semester or next year..

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
And I don't know if you can call this the Super Bowl of Iowa, but it is nice that there are tons of kids from Iowa playing in the game that means so much.
As much as I like Iowa State (and have gone to more games in Ames this year than Waverly), This game has had more national implications the last 10 years than the Iowa/Iowa State game.
No one would know it because each school has just over 1500 students and get next to no media attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say this is on the same level as D1, just pointing out that there is some pretty darn good college football played in other places in the state.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
Go Central.. i was sctually going to go to central.. but when i found out grand view was getting a football team.. i decided to go there.. but im not starting til either next semester or next year..
I'm excited to have more football in Central Iowa.
Simpson/Central/Drake and now Grand View means plenty of places to watch College football when the Clones are out of town.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Its understandable why people dont root for Wartburg.

Winning cross country, track, wrestling, baseball, softball, and football conf. championships routinely is probably annoying for most schools:)

Anyway, we dont have a message board, so I must resort to using CF on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
That is the reason, seems like we always fought them for the title in baseball during my years with them always coming out on top in the tourney.

JHudd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Plano, TX
Upper Iowa from '02-'04 my last year is when they switched to DII. I came up to Concordia-St.Paul for my final year.

mercurycy

Apr 10, 2006
Dutch all the way - Connell on the pass and Schuring back healthy on the run (I hope!) Should be a great game!

:wink:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Gotta keep in mind that Wartburg is maybe/likely without starting qb Nick Yordi due to a suspension. Evidently if you shout fag enough at people your liable to finally call a gay kid one and cause a problem.

price26

Sep 1, 2006
Ames, IA
As much as I like Iowa State (and have gone to more games in Ames this year than Waverly), This game has had more national implications the last 10 years than the Iowa/Iowa State game.
No one would know it because each school has just over 1500 students and get next to no media attention.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say this is on the same level as D1, just pointing out that there is some pretty darn good college football played in other places in the state.

I'm well aware that they play some pretty good football in places like Wartburg and Central, but I was just trying to put it in perspective, that Iowa-ISU is Iowa's Super Bowl because so many people are involved and it's just, over time, it has become a big thing for the state, and obviously it is hard for a couple D-III schools to match that.

But for this week, I would agree that because so many Iowa kids are involved and it means so much, I should be called Iowa's Super Bowl.