CFN Iowa State Preview

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
It seemed like a very fair assessment overall. The linebackers, Knott especially, received major props. Apparently the writer wasn't aware that Capello is no longer on the team. I agree with him that Tiller will start the year as QB, but will have a very short leash with Jantz in the wings. I knew the defensive line has been bad, but did not realize just how bad it was (115th last year in sacks). Really, the d-line has nowhere to go but up. I agree that Johnson and Reeves will provide a safety net in the secondary, but hopefully they won't be required to do as much this year if the d-line steps up. I was surprised at the comments on Osemele. I know he's not great at pass protection, but the writer says he "can't pass protect". Surprising comments considering Osemele is thought to be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick next spring. ISU fans should be happy that he picks ISU to finish ahead of Kansas, so at least he seems to be in touch with reality on that aspect. Overall the schedule is a whole lot of question marks like he mentions. UConn, TT, KSU, and Baylor are all complete toss-ups at this point. Overall, I thought it was a fair assessment, and other than Capello the writer clearly seems to have done his homework.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
Absolute garbage. Guy still mentions Capello in the QB battle. Worthless.

Well, if he's going to miss something at least it was missing that ISU's 4th string QB is no longer on the roster. At least he didn't refer to Arnaud as the starting quarterback. :smile:

reignofthetiger

Apr 24, 2010
Carmel, IN
I thought it was fair in general. How Tiller is ranked higher than, say, Leonard Johnson I don't know. Seemed like the article talked more about Chizik than Rhoads, which is frustrating.

Also irks me the article still includes Capello as battling for the QB job. Its obvious a lot of work went into this, but easily-correctable errors like that lower credibility.

I will say (although it won't get me any fans on here) that his comment about Osemele's lack of pass blocking ability is spot on. He is a DOMINANT run blocker, but how many times did he kill drives with holding penalties last year? He really needs to work on his lateral quickness to play T, but he'll be a G in the NFL and it won't matter too much.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
It was okay. Chizik has been gone longer than he was here so the writer could go without comparing CPR to him because we know there is no comparison. Like usual these previews are ok on statistics but actaully knowing about the ISU culture ("find a reason to make people start caring about Iowa State football") . Also, the writer didn't take the time to see if players he mentioned are still on the team (Capello).

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
I thought it was a pretty good write-up. There were some mistakes, but I thought it was better than most preseason publications.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
KO definately needs to work on his false starts, but I wouldn't say he can't pass protect? He's shut down Adrian Clayborn two years in a row... that's not too shabby?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I don't consider the fun facts at the bottom to be "fun" for us. :realmad:

Tredici

Mar 2, 2011
West Des Moines
I liked the article. He did not make assumptions without backing up with statistics from the previous season. Overall, a very fair assessment of a team with starting QB questions and a extremely tough schedule.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
"Iowa State hasn’t won more than seven games since 2000 and has done it only once since 1978."

Uh, what?

2001: 7-5
2002: 7-7
2004: 7-5
2005: 7-5
2009: 7-6

That's not even close...

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Key words

facepalm.jpg

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I thought the write up was generally fair. But I did think that he tended to underwrite our different units just a bit. I have read other write ups and they have less returning and somehow those units get ratings that are pretty high.

It really doesn't make a difference. The team will have to win.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I had no idea Tiller was our 5th best player :shocked:

These articles really help me out

koolclone

Jan 20, 2010
That must mean 9 of our guys will play on Sundays, cause I'm sure CPR has said LJ has pro potential! I'm feeling better already. :spinny:But seriously, he doesn't know our schedule or our roster, why would we think he knows anything about our players, or for that matter the players we play against. It's easy to rank kickers/punters and it seems all the writers have screwed that up too. See Kirby VdK. Seriously, how do you rank players after you get past the all Americans and all conference players? I mean as a group the d line has been the most maligned on the team. How could Rump show up in our top 10?:twitcy:I will be seriously tired of it next year if all the teams we beat are "underperformers" in 2011. Ok, rant over. Our team played as well as anybody against the horns, raiders, and huskers. Sustaining it through 12 games is where we need to improve.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
The guy must have been in the bathroom when they passed out the Quarterback homework...

clonestar12

May 16, 2006
Texas
collegefootballnews.com just released their Iowa State Preview. Haven't read it yet but hoping it's good. I'll let you guys judge.

Scout.com: NEW ... 2011 Iowa State Preview

Keep in mind that this guy is most likely a B10 homer, hence the "big brother" comment. It appears that he has only lived in B10 cities his whole life, so any positive comments in his write-up are probably understated and the negative is magnified. For the most part, my guess is that he spent about 30 minutes putting together his piece, so anything more than a birdcage liner would be a waste for this piece.