where to get a suit

purify

Apr 1, 2010
St. Joseph, MO
So I'm going to be graduating ISU in the spring, and I plan to start looking for employment in the fall, so I'll need a suit. I know of the tuxedo place at the mall, but are there any other places in town? I've never bought a suit before so I don't know my size or anything. So I think I need a place that can walk me through the process a bit. Any places you recommend, or places to avoid?

Also, how much do you guys suggest I spend on a suit that I expect to use for several interviews. I'm a broke college student, but feel it is important to look good for an interview.

Cyfan1843

Jun 30, 2009
Ames
Men's warehouse in DM watch their deals you can get 2fers or 1+1 for $100 What you don't anticipate is the tayloring will cost you around $100

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
i tried to buy suits before at mens warehouse, von maur, etc. but my favorite suit ever is from Express. Its modern and stylish. I tried it on at Jordan Creek, then I used a coupon online and they shipped it to my house. Best move I ever made.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
go find a tailor and get one fitted to you. Will never buy a store bought suit ever again.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Mens Warehouse is great for middle aged men who dont really care anymore in my opinion. From what Ive seen the majority of their suits are lower quality and glued together. Also, it's nearly impossibleto find a suit w/ out pleats and cuffs in that place and that is what you should prob be wearing. Go to gq.com and find the how to buy a suit guide. It will tell you a ton of stuff to look for even on cheaper suits. Also, find the article about best suits under $400, there arent any from mens warehouse but a ton from other cheap stores that you would be suprised about.

The #1 thing to do when buying a suit is having it tailored. This is a MUST and under no conditions should this not be done. If you are younger, I would advise to take it to a younger tailor. I got in a big argument w/ a guy at von maur once over how a suit should be tailored, took it elsewhere to which they ageed w/ me before I even said anything.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Moorman Clothiers in Ames.

i like Moorman's, but their prices are inflated. I don't mind spending money to get quality, but you can get the same stuff that they sell for cheaper, elsewhere. The only reason to go there is because they're local.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
i like Moorman's, but their prices are inflated. I don't mind spending money to get quality, but you can get the same stuff that they sell for cheaper, elsewhere. The only reason to go there is because they're local.

Well, there are others...
Moorman gives you 10% off if you're a member of the SAA or the AA.
Moorman has a big "Iowa State" clothing room.
Moorman has been a big Cyclone booster.
Three pretty good reasons for me...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Well, there are others...
Moorman gives you 10% off if you're a member of the SAA or the AA.
Moorman has a big "Iowa State" clothing room.
Moorman has been a big Cyclone booster.
Three pretty good reasons for me...

10% off for being a member of Sex Addicts Anonymous, huh?
Maybe I will have to give them another chance. I'll have to remember to wear my membership thong.

hawkclone11

Dec 13, 2008
I got my latest suit at Halberstadt's Men's Clothier down at Jordan Creek. They had really nice quality suits for a good price, and the guys there were really helpful with picking stuff out and getting me sized. They do alterations too for a reasonable price.

I will say that it absolutely makes a better impression having a nicer suit that is tailored for you. I think you come across as more confident too when you feel good. Helped me get my first full time job too (just graduated this spring), so it definitely pays to invest in a good suit!

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
I agree with Moormans in Ames. They have a great selection and yes the suits are a little more expensive but its not like most people buy suits all the time so why not buy a quality suit that will last a while.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Tailored suits are pretty much the best thing ever. Add a tailored shirt, good shoes, and a windsor knotted tie to that and you will feel amazing.

Reactions: thatguy

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Jo. A. Bank is a good place to start and they have frequent sales.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The Back Room in Beaverdale. Talk to Carroll. The Back Room is essentially an outlet for Mr. B's and a couple of the other high end clothing stores in Des Moines. I've bought two perfectly good suits there (each for less than $200) and they tailored both for me.