Funny/insightful Bill Simmons colum on "The Killing"

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
So, I heard plenty about this show and the ending of it but never watched it myself, and after reading the column I don't plan to get it on Netflix either.

Did anybody watch it and if you did what did you think of it? I'm a big Simmons fan and I think this new website of his, Grantland, is awesome. I've always found him to be an entertaining read.

Bill Simmons on The Killing - Grantland

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I gave up around episode 6. I thought his analysis was pretty spot on when I read it the other day. I really think they got a gift when they got picked up for a second season and completely blew it by not ending the Rosie case and trying again from scratch next year, hopefully learning some lessons from what ****** people off this season. I would have come back for that, but I think they'll find they don't have much of an audience for season 2 now. Too much bad word of mouth at this point and now there's no sign that they're trying to change it either.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
So, I heard plenty about this show and the ending of it but never watched it myself, and after reading the column I don't plan to get it on Netflix either.

Did anybody watch it and if you did what did you think of it? I'm a big Simmons fan and I think this new website of his, Grantland, is awesome. I've always found him to be an entertaining read.

Bill Simmons on The Killing - Grantland

I am a big fan of Simmons, but I thought his column was off base. I watched the show the entire season and I like it. Not the greatest show ever, but decent. It took me about 6 episodes to get used to the slower pace of the show.......with each show being about a single day.

I'm just surprised he actually thought the case was going to end in one season, because I never really thought it would.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I am a big fan of Simmons, but I thought his column was off base. I watched the show the entire season and I like it. Not the greatest show ever, but decent. It took me about 6 episodes to get used to the slower pace of the show.......with each show being about a single day.

I'm just surprised he actually thought the case was going to end in one season, because I never really thought it would.

I think it's pretty safe to say you're in the minority. 90% of the comments on any Killing-related articles seem to be people that gave up on the show or are disgusted by the fact that it went nowhere, slowly. I think that could have been forgiven a little too if they had made anyone other than Holder seem like an interesting character.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I think it's pretty safe to say you're in the minority. 90% of the comments on any Killing-related articles seem to be people that gave up on the show or are disgusted by the fact that it went nowhere, slowly. I think that could have been forgiven a little too if they had made anyone other than Holder seem like an interesting character.

I would agree that I'm in the minority. I just got used to it being slower and thought it would take two seasons to end the case so I felt like I knew what I wa getting.

I think this might be the type of show that some people enjoy more once a couple/few seasons came out on DVD. You can sit down and plow through some episodes and it will move along faster.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I would agree that I'm in the minority. I just got used to it being slower and thought it would take two seasons to end the case so I felt like I knew what I wa getting.

I think this might be the type of show that some people enjoy more once a couple/few seasons came out on DVD. You can sit down and plow through some episodes and it will move along faster.

I disagree. I think there were so many dead-ends and red herrings that served no purpose, it might actually be MORE frustrating to watch it that way.

birdflu

Nov 14, 2006
Iowa

I also like the show, but I can def. see how people are turned off by the slow moving plot line. It did help to save up a bunch of the episodes on the DVR and watch them all in a row.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
On a potentially more appealing note, Breaking Bad is starting soon and that is a fantastic show.

I wish I had gotten into that when it started, or they would make the previous seasons of the show available instantly on netflix. I hear such good things.

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
I wish I had gotten into that when it started, or they would make the previous seasons of the show available instantly on netflix. I hear such good things.

I got into it sometime during the 2nd season and have since went back and watched them all.

It's a good show and they jumped right into things from the very first episode.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron