Aerial view of the flooding of the Missouri

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Someone taped the approach to Eppley

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnE3pbxmSaQ&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪The Great Missouri Flood of 2011 Omaha / Council Bluffs‬‏[/ame]

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Expect the water to be this high through August. The water runoff amount this year probably exceeds wqhat we might call the 500 year event.

It could be worse. Take Denver area, NWS and other figure that the PMF could be a 24 inch storm over 2-3 days. No way could the infrastructure withstand such an amount.

Additional rains in next two months will make the runoff situation worse.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/article/20110612/OPINION/106120302/Another-View-Year-epic-flood

"It's the biggest flood in terms of total water in the last 113 years on the Missouri River," said Dave Becker, operations manager for the dam.
Along the Platte River, the sense of foreboding was just as oppressive. The snowpack in the Rockies was 140 percent of normal, and the problem was exacerbated by heavy rainfall at lower altitudes in the North Platte basin. Parts of Montana received a year's worth of rain in May alone.

The dams on the Platte River are also full and dump at Plattsmouth , so watch for flooding in that basin. Hamburg is in the wrong spot. It should be up on the bluffs.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
This river valley is over 15 miles wide at spots above Council Bluffs only 1200 feet wide at Council Bluffs. (notice I didn't mention a city or state to our west, I hate em)

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
The cheap nuclear power during the summer air conditioning season will not happen this year. OPPD will be buying power from MidAm. The bill will be reflected next year.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
On the nightly news on ABC Diane Sawyer just talked about the efforts to build the levee to protect the small town of Hamburg, Ohio from the Missouri River flooding.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
On the nightly news on ABC Diane Sawyer just talked about the efforts to build the levee to protect the small town of Hamburg, Ohio from the Missouri River flooding.
It's absolutely shameful how the national news has no clue about the midwest. If this was on either coast they would be broadcasting live from one of the impacted areas.
It's like the recent heat wave. No mention until it hit the east coast. Then it becomes a "killer heat wave" whereas here in the midwest, it's just another hot couple of days.

CYISFLY

Jun 30, 2009
SW Ia
I was in Missouri Valley all day yesterday, helping to sandbag one of our microwave sites there. Tons of stuff going on around the tracks, hopefully nothing more than preventative. Going there the back from North Broadway in C.B., looks as though the road is going to be under water soon.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA

This is awesome in that I can see my neighborhood. I'm in Afghanistan so it is wild to see how incredible wide the Missouri is currently. Fortunately I live about 1/3 the way up a hill 15' higher than the highest predicted flood level. It would be terrible if my family had to deal with flooding while I am gone, feel bad for the many who do have to deal with it. It is surprising how close the water has gotten to our neighborhood, some of the houses at the bottom of the hill may flood.

Last edited: