Water filtration experts

fatkid1974

Apr 3, 2010
van down by the river
I want to make a homemade sand filter for my bait tanks. I will be using gravity to transfer from tank 1 to tank 2 and a small pond pump to pump water up to tank 3 which will be my filter tank and it in turn will waterfall back into tank 1. Can I get enough flow going through the sand filter system to keep up with a small pond pump maybe 1-3 gal per minute?

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I want to make a homemade sand filter for my bait tanks. I will be using gravity to transfer from tank 1 to tank 2 and a small pond pump to pump water up to tank 3 which will be my filter tank and it in turn will waterfall back into tank 1. Can I get enough flow going through the sand filter system to keep up with a small pond pump maybe 1-3 gal per minute?

You should be able to at first, but as the sand becomes dirty, the flow will begin to drop off. You will need a way to backwash this sand filter(pressure water through the filter along the reverse path) in order to clean the sand. Depending on how dirty the water is this sand may foul fast. You wil lneed to flush it(recommended) or replace the and if it is a small quantity.

Reactions: fatkid1974

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Use a pre-filter that can be washed off to catch the bigger particles. Will make the sand last longer.

Reactions: fatkid1974