Longest Presentation You've Given...

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Boy that 30 minute senior design group project presentation I gave in college doesn't seem so bad in hindsight after my 4.5 hour solo breakout presentation at work today.

Beer me.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Yep you deserve a beer. Sounds brutal, I think my longest one was probably 10 mins or so.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Yep you deserve a beer. Sounds brutal, I think my longest one was probably 10 mins or so.

Probably about 3 hours. Real Property Installation Master Plan briefing with the list of all future projects projected (subject to funding, of course). My part should have been about 50 minutes but since it was to a lot of the big shots they all have to ask questions and pontificate on what it all means. My boss usually got these back under control eventually, but he also liked to pontificate so not always.

I was always SUPER relieved when it was over each time, so I know how you feel...

Last one was last November. My retirement presentation. Basically my chance to roast my co-workers and directors so it was a lot of fun. Of course I roasted myself to an even greater extent, so it was a lot of fun for everyone (at least that was the feedback I got).

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
10 minute presentation in English 250 last year is my longest so far. That will probably change after these next two years

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Probably about 3 hours. Real Property Installation Master Plan briefing with the list of all future projects projected (subject to funding, of course). My part should have been about 50 minutes but since it was to a lot of the big shots they all have to ask questions and pontificate on what it all means. My boss usually got these back under control eventually, but he also liked to pontificate so not always.

I was always SUPER relieved when it was over each time, so I know how you feel...

Last one was last November. My retirement presentation. Basically my chance to roast my co-workers and directors so it was a lot of fun. Of course I roasted myself to an even greater extent, so it was a lot of fun for everyone (at least that was the feedback I got).

Yup, my presentation was probably extended 1.5 hours because they were asking questions and roasting me. LOL :confused:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Yup, my presentation was probably extended 1.5 hours because they were asking questions and roasting me. LOL :confused:

It always made me feel like the "no such thing as a stupid question" saying was lame. And it was usually the same one or two people who continuously ask dumb questions.

Kind of like in college classes, actually...

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
At my old job I had to do presentations/demonstrations for medical residents at different universities. Those could drag into the 4-5 hour range depending on Q&A.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Boy that 30 minute senior design group project presentation I gave in college doesn't seem so bad in hindsight after my 4.5 hour solo breakout presentation at work today.

Beer me.

Congrats, gotta feel good to have that under your belt.

I've done 6-7 hour presentation/workshops, basically an all day deal, 9-12 and then 1-4:30ish. Web content/architecture/creative strategy stuff.

I've worked concrete, roofing, and other hard labor kind of jobs and I swear I'm just as wiped after an all-day presentation/workshop as any of that stuff.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Congrats, gotta feel good to have that under your belt.

I've done 6-7 hour presentation/workshops, basically an all day deal, 9-12 and then 1-4:30ish. Web content/architecture/creative strategy stuff.

I've worked concrete, roofing, and other hard labor kind of jobs and I swear I'm just as wiped after an all-day presentation/workshop as any of that stuff.

I know what you mean. It's terrible on your voice, too. Especially if you are in a room slightly too big for your normal speaking voice. Maybe it's only me, but if I have to increase my volume, by even a little bit, for an extended amount of time, it will just wreck my throat. I have to make sure I drink a lot of water while talking.

Hawkeye11en1

Apr 22, 2011
Colorado
It always made me feel like the "no such thing as a stupid question" saying was lame. And it was usually the same one or two people who continuously ask dumb questions.

Kind of like in college classes, actually...

I have a dumb question. What the hell does pontificate mean?

CONEClone

Dec 16, 2009
Ames
I hosted an overnight retreat while I was at ISU, does that count as a 24 hour long presentation? :jimlad:

In all honesty, I personally find the presentations where they limit your time more difficult. For my senior design class we needed to present our proposal for an actual RFP released by the army, but were only given 20-30 minutes. I could have easily presented on that for 4 hours!

cyclone1975

Feb 4, 2007
Ankeny
I know what you mean. It's terrible on your voice, too. Especially if you are in a room slightly too big for your normal speaking voice. Maybe it's only me, but if I have to increase my volume, by even a little bit, for an extended amount of time, it will just wreck my throat. I have to make sure I drink a lot of water while talking.

I agree 100%. I teach for a living and the absolute worst is a night class and then 8am class the next morning.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
I have a dumb question. What the hell does pontificate mean?

intr.v. (-k
amacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
) pon·tif·i·cat·ed, pon·tif·i·cat·ing, pon·tif·i·cates 1. To express opinions or judgments in a dogmatic way. Also, to speak or behave in a pompous or dogmatic manner.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Some of us don't seem to have volume or carriage limits, so I wouldn't know about that. My voice will go forever.

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
6 hour training class for clients. That did not include the 45 minute break for dinner.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Luckily I don't usually have to worry about that. It's a pretty hands-on deal where everyone needs a computer/Internet connection so I'm usually presenting in a computer classroom/lab of some sort with no more than 25-30 people.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron