Vehicle Bike Rack advice

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'm looking at buying a hitch mounted bike rack. Quick question. I've noticed that most have two bars that the bikes rest on but some only have one. Is stability an issue with the single bar style?

The singe bar style looks more appealing as it will be easier to store but I don't want bikes flopping around. Anyone have any experience?

HtownCyclone

Apr 25, 2009
Houston, TX
I bought a double mount bike rack where both the wheels sit on wheel slots and are not left hanging. I was told to go with this if you have a suspension in your mountain bike so it dosnt goof it up.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Yes, I have a Yakima with a bar that is strapped to top tube of bike. It's okay but given a second chance I'd get the other style where wheels rest in a tray.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
This is the kind to go with if you have the cash. It'll work with all kinds of bikes, and it'll support them them way that bikes are designed to be supported: through the wheels.
916_oc.ashx

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Thanks for the input. The ones where the wheels bear the weight do look interesting.

We are not hardcore bike riders and wil not be transporting very far. Bought bikes off craigslist and will probably do the same for rack.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Been looking at racks too.

Probably will go with the hitch where the bikes ride in the tracks rather than hanging... Any brands better than others? I hear some rust more than others?

Thoughts

Z

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Doesn't sound like this will be a problem for you, but if you have a carbon fiber frame, you don't want to be supporting the bike from the frame - could crack it. I'd go with the one that lets the bike's wheels support the weight of the bike to avoid any issues.

I have a pickup, so I just use some Thule BedHed's and rock and roll that way.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
saris bones racks are sweet.... I just picked one up on craigslist for $100, it holds 3 bikes (they make a 2 bike rack too)... I may have overpaid but its a good rack & will work nicely

iahawkhunter

Apr 17, 2010
Huxley, IA
saris bones racks are sweet.... I just picked one up on craigslist for $100, it holds 3 bikes (they make a 2 bike rack too)... I may have overpaid but its a good rack & will work nicely

I've had one of those for 3.5 years and it works great. It's not hitch-mounted (so it may not be of interest to the OP), but it's very versatile regarding how it can be mounted to a vehicle. I especially like the strap that wraps around the seat-tube to keep the bike from swinging (the two contact points on the top-tube act like a hinge on any hanging-type rack). It seems like not too many racks have this 3rd strap to prevent swinging.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
I have this:
svy-MTOjyEj6Gk_6FXxkz6V5VWqMp-m8Av6yU7gGNRh-jUyOVtVoP3TsImXOTv8ssfgaVURCEgCIp237NvVXzTME0lURqit67O_f6H_lIAR7MrDliKL-E64hRa9GklaRH56ThJXTTeRJ

I have no flopping what so ever. It straps in three places to stablize, and then I got an extra strap for the tire/handle bar - works really well and stores nice.

The only part I don't like is if your bike doesn't have a straight cross bar, then your bike sits at an angle. It can make getting three bikes on a bit of a chore alignment wise.

But I too would also prefer a wheel based mount - either hitch or on top of car, but of course didn't have the money for it.

Last edited:

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
I'm looking at buying a hitch mounted bike rack. Quick question. I've noticed that most have two bars that the bikes rest on but some only have one. Is stability an issue with the single bar style?

The singe bar style looks more appealing as it will be easier to store but I don't want bikes flopping around. Anyone have any experience?

Depends on what type of vehicle you have....

If you have a pickup I wouldn't both with a bike rack. I would buy the extendable bars you put in the bed and put your front fork on. They lock up and are extremely nice cause you don't have stuff off the road hitting your bike and not as much chance of dirt and road spray getting on them.

If you have an suv. Single bars work but I like the ones with a bar at bottom to run a strap between tire and to bottom of bar so your bike is held down.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
How do those front-fork truck bed mounts work when turning corners or with side winds? Seems like a lot of side-to-side stress to put on just the front fork. Ever had any issues with them getting bent or anything? Or do you use an extra strap across the frame to keep the side-to-side motion at a minimum?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I have a Thule, Hitch Mounted, 4 bike rack that has two bars extending outward. It works well. It's easy to get bikes in and out. However, it has space for 4 bikes. I've had three on it before and even that is tight. Pedals rub against frames, etc. It works best for two bikes.

If I were to buy again, I'd get the hitch mount where the bike wheels lock into place as shown above in this thread.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
How many bikes do these usually hold? I just called about a hitch and the only rack they had to hold up to 5 was over 400 bucks. At that price we will be biking locally only!

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
I have this:
svy-MTOjyEj6Gk_6FXxkz6V5VWqMp-m8Av6yU7gGNRh-jUyOVtVoP3TsImXOTv8ssfgaVURCEgCIp237NvVXzTME0lURqit67O_f6H_lIAR7MrDliKL-E64hRa9GklaRH56ThJXTTeRJ

I have no flopping what so ever. It straps in three places to stablize, and then I got an extra strap for the tire/handle bar - works really well and stores nice.

The only part I don't like is if your bike doesn't have a straight cross bar, then your bike sits at an angle. It can make getting three bikes on a bit of a chore alignment wise.

But I too would also prefer a wheel based mount - either hitch or on top of car, but of course didn't have the money for it.

That is what I have as well. I've used it for moving multiple times, as well as a couple trips to down to Oklahoma and back to Iowa. Never had any problems with it. Also, the reason that I got that kind instead of the kind that holds the bike by the wheels is that I don't like the idea of putting all that sideways force on the wheels when they're meant for strength in the up and down direction.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
How do those front-fork truck bed mounts work when turning corners or with side winds? Seems like a lot of side-to-side stress to put on just the front fork. Ever had any issues with them getting bent or anything? Or do you use an extra strap across the frame to keep the side-to-side motion at a minimum?

As noted above, I have this set-up. I have the BedHed's mounted to the front of the bed. This means the bike is pointed forward when driving. I was initially nervous about turns and whatnot, especially with my carbon frame, but I haven't had a problem at all. Since I have the mount placed so high, the bike is positioned such that it always wants to stay where it's at. I'm not suggesting taking turns like a NASCAR driver or aiming for every pot hole, but it's a good set-up. I took my bike from the east side of Houston up to Witchita Falls for the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred before and had no problems at all. No need for an extra strap.

HawkFanISUalum

May 17, 2009
Iowa City, IA
As noted above, I have this set-up. I have the BedHed's mounted to the front of the bed. This means the bike is pointed forward when driving. I was initially nervous about turns and whatnot, especially with my carbon frame, but I haven't had a problem at all. Since I have the mount placed so high, the bike is positioned such that it always wants to stay where it's at. I'm not suggesting taking turns like a NASCAR driver or aiming for every pot hole, but it's a good set-up. I took my bike from the east side of Houston up to Witchita Falls for the Hotter 'N Hell Hundred before and had no problems at all. No need for an extra strap.

Good to know. Thanks.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I bought a nice hitch mounted one from shulling a few years back. Works great. On the other hand this one looks nice.

xlarge_ferrari_bike_1.jpg