Maybe ISU needs to start cheating

H

Hugs4ISU

I say that with a really scary amount of seriousness. I wish I was being sarcastic about this. But, as it turns out, schools that are penalized by the NCAA for cheating end up doing BETTER after the sanctions!

How do such powerhouse football programs ultimately fare after major NCAA sanctions? Are some simply too big to fail?

Recent cases suggest that. The Miami Hurricanes, hit with NCAA penalties for lack of institutional control in 1995, won the 2001 national title. And Alabama, sanctioned in 2002, won it in 2009.

A 2007 study by Chad McEvoy, an associate professor of sport management at Illinois State, found that the five-year winning percentages of 35 teams sanctioned over a 15-year period ending in 2002 actually rose, from .547 to .566 in the five years after they were penalized by the NCAA.
Even among 10 schools hit with what were considered the most serious sanctions, the winning percentage dipped only slightly, from .634 to .614.

Are Ohio State, USC too big to be hurt by NCAA penalties? - USATODAY.com

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Then the NCAA needs to have harsher penalties. I mean schools should not be rewarded for cheating. The win when the cheat and the win in the aftermath. Why not cheat then?

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
ISU does not have the money or boosters to cheat with the top programs. Those other schools can cheat because of the money they get from boosters and alumni.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I'm not an ISU fan because they do good in sports. I'm an ISU fan because ISU is a big part of who I am. Because of that, I'd rather see them lose cleanly than to win cheating. I'd love see them become a reliably good team in Football and Basketball, but not if it takes cheating. If that's the case, I'd rather have them win in the FCS division.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
Honor Before Victory. We had a player die for honor, not cheating.

Choose what you want.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'm not an ISU fan because they do good in sports. I'm an ISU fan because ISU is a big part of who I am. Because of that, I'd rather see them lose cleanly than to win cheating. I'd love see them become a reliably good team in Football and Basketball, but not if it takes cheating. If that's the case, I'd rather have them win in the FCS division.

This.

Ideally we'll win by building a program the right way. That's the kind of reputation I want ISU to have. Not just another school that got good by cheating.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I'd rather have us go to NAIA status than be cheating. That said, the NCAA is a joke and what constitutes "cheating" for many schools is almost unethical. Like that example from a few years back when Rick Majerus bought a kid some McDonalds after he got horrible news. That is cheating? yet this Auburn stuff goes through...a huge joke.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I'd rather have us go to NAIA status than be cheating. That said, the NCAA is a joke and what constitutes "cheating" for many schools is almost unethical. Like that example from a few years back when Rick Majerus bought a kid some McDonalds after he got horrible news. That is cheating? yet this Auburn stuff goes through...a huge joke.

Exactly. Like CyDude said earlier this thread, the phrase "Honor Before Victory" is pretty much moot. The sad thing is it will remain that way until there is real change implemented in the way the NCAA performs its duties.

I'm normally in favor of self governance, but I would have absolutely no problem with Congress or the Dept. of Justice intervening and investigating the NCAA. At the very least look into their nonprofit status.

Last edited:

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
It's pretty naive to think we don't cheat or cut corners at all. Obviously not to the extent of USC, the SEC, or Ohio State but come on. All the big conference schools do some shady things once in awhile. I doubt we're the lone exception.

CyDude16

Oct 2, 2008
Heads in the sky
I agree. It would be nice to get to "Honor AND Victory" for a change.

Agreed

How about you tell Rhoads that.

I wasn't implying we should cheat. But you must really be naive if you don't think we have cut corners or have acted at least a little bit shady in dealings. I would like to see us start getting wins, and if it means we have to commit some small violations, then I'm perfectly okay with that.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It wouldn't bother me at all if we cheated, since I believe most of our competition does.