theyork

Aug 6, 2009
hedgesville, wv
backups

39 *Matt Morton, 6-0, 207, Jr.#
7 *Jeremiah George, 5-11, 222, So.
55 Jevohn Miller, 6-4, 236, Fr. True freshman
19 Floyd Mattison, 5-10, 200, Fr.#

those are some lightweight young backups if i do say so myself. hopefully our starters stay healthy this season.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
We are in trouble if Klein or Knott go down... but probably in better shape than we would've been last year.

sdillon500

Sep 12, 2006
northern california
Yeah, not a lot of depth there. Really hurt to lose Bennett this year and Hulbert in the '10 recruiting class. If ISU had kept both the LB corps would be in good shape.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We actually aren't in bad shape at all... Losing Knott would hurt with Klien being a close second... but Tauafoo, George, and Miller are all more than solid options.. this might be a little premature, but Miller could very well be our next great LB.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I actually feel pretty confident in Miller being able to come in and be serviceable (for a backup) and also the team would likely move to a mostly nickel package like we did last year, especially with all the passing that the Big 12 does. Miller looks like he will be getting playing time regardless of injuries the way it is going. Just hope for no injuries.

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
An injury to your best player is going to hurt no matter what, so yeah.

Istate

Jul 15, 2008
We actually aren't in bad shape at all... Losing Knott would hurt with Klien being a close second... but Tauafoo, George, and Miller are all more than solid options.. this might be a little premature, but Miller could very well be our next great LB.

Can you clarify this for me. Are you saying that calling Miller a more than solid option or that he could be our next great lb is a bit premature? Obviously, both are huge overstatements, but I would like to know which one you feel is premature for future reference.

Any team that loses one of their best player or two is going to take a hit. I would say lb is the position we can least afford injuries at, but as a whole, we still aren't at a point where we can lose anyone in the starting line-up and not see a little drop-off. QB might be the position where we are best positioned to replace someone should one of them get hurt. That is both good and bad, but at this point, it's probably pretty true. At the very least, we're slowly getting closer to having some legitimate comments about what we're hearing from camp...finally. I can't believe I said that only 9 days into June, but i'm excited for football.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think we have some "serviceable" guys in Miller and George if needed. Although losing Adrian Bennett was BIG. I think he was going to be a good one.

Don't forget that CJ Morgan could also probably play LB too.

hawkeye1984

Feb 17, 2011
Hope they don't get hurt. When Nielson, Tarp, Davis, and hunter went down....so did the Hawkeyes so to speak. I loved Troy Johnson, but he couldn't cover my 7 year old nephew.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
Hope they don't get hurt. When Nielson, Tarp, Davis, and hunter went down....so did the Hawkeyes so to speak. I loved Troy Johnson, but he couldn't cover my 7 year old nephew.
So you're saying that your 7 year old nephew is on the same level of a Big 10 starting Tight End....just wow....:swoon::pwink:

Carr50010

Apr 4, 2010
Ames
backups

those are some lightweight young backups if i do say so myself. hopefully our starters stay healthy this season.

Knott and Klein are great players.
Loosing either would be very bad.

I order for the defense to be better next year,
we need them both to stay healthy.
If you defensive line improves, and we get a good rush,
they will look like the Big 12 Superstars.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
We are in trouble if Klein or Knott go down... but probably in better shape than we would've been last year.

I agree. Our situation isn't ideal but it is a lot better then what we had last year.

Morton and George have game experience.
Mattison has a year in the system and Miller was here in the spring and was in the 2 deeps prior to Bennett leaving.

We'll also play a lot of nickel.

Bennett's leaving isn't going to have much impact this year but the following years we'll need to hit on several LB propects.

cy4u44

Nov 10, 2009
Saw J. George the other day on campus... that guy is huge! He has a lot of upside!!!

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Chris or Mods: Can you make it easier for these posters by doing a template in the Thread creation screen:

I think (Insert Horrible thing here) if (insert event here).

By the way...the mad libs dude died.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Knott and Klein are great players.
Loosing either would be very bad.

I order for the defense to be better next year,
we need them both to stay healthy.
If you defensive line improves, and we get a good rush,
they will look like the Big 12 Superstars.

You're so under arrest...

images

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
backups

Like others have said, it wouldn't be good losing either Knott or Klein. But, I think that they can survive for a few games. First off, by the time they get into the Big 12, they are going to play mostly nickel anyway. Second, those backups aren't all that bad. The weights are from March and the players will be bigger by fall. George gained 7 lbs from August to March, so it's not outlandish to think that he will be over 230 next August. Miller will easily be over 240 and I'd think that the problem with him is keeping him out of the 250's and moving to DE. Mattison gained 10 lbs from August to March, so thinking he could be up to 210 by this fall isn't a stretch. Then there's Donald Smith, who was at 210 last year in HS, who could play in a pinch (of course they'd probably rather RS him). Also, CJ Morgan will probably be 210 in the fall and may see some time.

MattforState

Aug 17, 2010
Des Moines, IA
Chris or Mods: Can you make it easier for these posters by doing a template in the Thread creation screen:

I think (Insert Horrible thing here) if (insert event here).

By the way...the mad libs dude died.

Oh, I got one!

I think the people in the Jacobson building will hate their seat if a 200 mph north wind hits the new scoreboard.