Chicago travel/Cubs game

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
We are headed to Chicago 7/18-7/20 for a short trip to a Cubs game and etc.

I'm looking at hotels downtown and all seem to have a $30-$45 parking fee per night. Any tips on hotels downtown or that are easy train access in the suburbs? I don't want to spend over $200/night including parking, if at all possible.

Any tips on seat location or where to get better tickets for the Cubs game?

Any other Chicago suggestions? I lived there for an internship in college, so I've done a lot of the regular tourist things (Field, Art, Pier, river tours, etc).

Thanks!

RynoISU

Oct 28, 2010
Urbandale, IA

I'm looking at hotels downtown and all seem to have a $30-$45 parking fee per night. Any tips on hotels downtown or that are easy train access in the suburbs? I don't want to spend over $200/night including parking, if at all possible.

Any other Chicago suggestions? I lived there for an internship in college, so I've done a lot of the regular tourist things (Field, Art, Pier, river tours, etc).

Thanks!

I have had good luck staying out by O'Hare and taking the Blue Line into Wrigley. You need to get off at the Addison stop and transfer to a bus, but all in all it is a pretty easy trip. Usually takes about and hour each way.

I always like sitting in the bleachers, but you have to get there early since it's general admission.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you want to save money consider taking the Amtrack into Union station. No hassle of driving or parking. Last 2 trips I have stayed downtown at the Hyatt Regency and the River Hotel, both were nice and within a few blocks of the Red Line.

guitarchitect7

Oct 8, 2006
www.chrisboeke.com
Best blog I've found regarding seating in Wrigley in regards to column locations and view obstructions.

Link

I've also sat in various places in that ball park (228, 429, 204, etc.) and 429 may have been the best experience while still maintaining affordability.

Last edited:

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I have had good luck staying out by O'Hare and taking the Blue Line into Wrigley. You need to get off at the Addison stop and transfer to a bus, but all in all it is a pretty easy trip. Usually takes about and hour each way.

I always like sitting in the bleachers, but you have to get there early since it's general admission.

On the Blue Line, you can transfer at Stewart to the Red Line, which stops at Addison right across the street from Wrigley.

The Cumberland CTA stop has a garage with pretty reasonable rates.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If you can find a place in Evanston you could take the EL into the city. Purple line from Evanston will get you to Belmont, may need to switch to a Brown line from there to the stop closest Wrigley. Been several years since I lived there, so this may have changed, not sure.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I stay downtown and make the Cubs game a secondary attraction. If they get their a#s kicked, what fun is it for you to drive back to some generic suburb??

If they lose the game, and you go back to some suburb...what fun is that?

Downtown you'll have a variety of options

Stay at the Hampton Suites on Illinois. It's near everything--House of Blues, Harry Caray's, ESPNZone, Weber's Grill, Hubbard Street, Michigan Avenue, walking distance to the Navy Pier... and Millinium Park. Tons and tons of things to do.

Downtown Chicago is the best city in America in the summer
It's a nondescript hotel that has housed Cubs free agents and rookies--for years. I have seen many players in and out of there.

There are a couple outdoor lots close to Hampton Suites. Drop off your luggage and park the car. It's less than $30/day.

Take the train to Wrigley. Piece of cake

p.s... if this were NYC, then yes...stay outside the city (New Jersey). Who wants to smell urine every other street corner on a 90 degree day?

Last edited:

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I stay downtown and make the Cubs game a secondary attraction. If they get their a#s kicked, what fun is it for you to drive back to some generic suburb?? Downtown you'll have a variety of options

Stay at the Hampton Suites on Illinois. It's near everything--House of Blues, Harry Caray's, ESPNZone, Weber's Grill, Hubbard Street, Michigan Avenue, walking distance to the Navy Pier... and Millinium Park. Tons and tons of things to do.

It's a non-descript hotel that has housed Cubs free agents and rookies--for years. I have seen many players in and out of there.

There are a couple outdoor lots close by Hampton Suites. Drop off your luggage and park the car. It's less than $30/day.

ESPNZone is gone.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I stay downtown and make the Cubs game a secondary attraction. If they get their *** kicked, what fun is it for you to drive back to some generic suburb??

If they lose the game, and you go back to some suburb...what fun is that?

Downtown you'll have a variety of options

It's a nondescript hotel that has housed Cubs free agents and rookies--for years. I have seen many players in and out of there.

There are a couple outdoor lots close to Hampton Suites. Drop off your luggage and park the car. It's less than $30/day.

OR stay at the Hyatt Regency or Sheraton---right where the Chicago River meets Lake Michigan. Fabulous location.

p.s... if this were NYC, then yes...stay outside the city (New Jersey). Who wants to smell urine every other street corner on a 90 degree day?

Last edited by a moderator:

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
The last time I went out there I stayed at the Holiday Inn and suites in Rosemont. They had a shuttle to Ohare where you could get on the Blue Line Train. I rode it to the Addison stop and rode the bus to Wrigley. It took about an hour and your train pass and bus pass are the same thing. I got the hotel through Expedia.com and it was about $70/night for 2 people and we each had our own room in the suite. There was a Harry Carry's Italian Steakhouse in the hotel and some other great places within about 10 min of there. If I go this summer, I may take the train from Osceola, but not sure.

As for tickets, my brother and I went to see the Cubs/Cards and got bleacher tickets through Stub Hub. The bleachers are a blast, but more expensive and it is first come first serve for seats. It is kind of fun chatting with people before gametime, but you better get there early for good seats.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I also forgot about the Museum of Science and Technology. It was pretty cool and they had a WWII German U-Boat that you can walk through. It was one captured for the Decoding Machine. If you watch U-571 the movie it is listed as the last one captured (U-505). Just thought that was kind of cool, but a lot of other things to see there too.

cy616

Dec 17, 2008
Chicago, IL

Thanks!

As some others here have suggested... Don't stay in the suburbs unless you want your trip to be all about a 3 hour game. Summer's a great time to be in this city (assuming you do't catch a flash mob beating...). I would suggest the Whitehall Hotel, considering your preferences. Priceline has it at $120/ night. Its a nice hotel in the gold coast, with tons to do around it and its a 15-20 minute commute via red line to Wrigley. Still probably have to shell out $30 a day to park, but this gets you down to $150 all in.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
On the Blue Line, you can transfer at Stewart to the Red Line, which stops at Addison right across the street from Wrigley.

The Cumberland CTA stop has a garage with pretty reasonable rates.

Don't you mean Jackson? :wink: or am I missing something.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Yea parking is ridiculous but you really don't want to drive anywhere anyway. If you can park out at the airport you can do it pretty cheap and take the train in to wherever you are staying. The mass transit system is really good and I kind of find it fun. The only downfall is that you will have to take your luggage with on your trip to and from your hotel. I think it costs like $5 for a day pass on the transit system...well worth it if you're staying close to Michigan ave or something. If you're planning on doing this...get familiar with the transit map. Don't be afraid to take the bus either. You might want to make sure they're not working on any tracks though or you might be hiking a ways or sitting on the bus or train a bit longer.