How to get rid of Quackgrass?

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011
My aunt is having some trouble with quackgrass. Does anyone know a good way to get rid of this problem. Obviously, you could tear up the lawn, but she wants to avoid that. Any solutions?

WISCY1895

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2009
Depends how much Quackgrass you have but using a paint brush and brushing on Roundup works. Just need to be careful to not spill the roundup on the yard or your aunt will have dead spots in the yard.

northernclone

Apr 11, 2006
Minnesota
My aunt is having some trouble with quackgrass. Does anyone know a good way to get rid of this problem. Obviously, you could tear up the lawn, but she wants to avoid that. Any solutions?

Not sure what she can do this year...but it can be controlled next year with some timely pre-emergent.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
You should get together with the guy who has moles. You capture and remove them from his yard and turn them loose in auntie's yard to destroy the quackgrass. That is what corporate suits call win-win out of the box synergy.

nocsiou

Sep 6, 2010
You will have to use roundup more than once. I think this grass has dormant buds that sprout if the main plant is killed. You can actually fertilize and then later apply the roundup as this should kill the whole plant.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
To make a long story short quackgrass is evil.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I sent my 6 year old out there and he pulls it all up when he sees it. Great plan. The nice part about the grass is that it has shallow roots so you can pull it out without getting much of the good grass with it. And yes, as 112 said, its evil.

BeTheCyclone

Oct 19, 2010
I sent my 6 year old out there and he pulls it all up when he sees it. Great plan. The nice part about the grass is that it has shallow roots so you can pull it out without getting much of the good grass with it. And yes, as 112 said, its evil.

Are you sure it is quackgrass and not crabgrass? I read that quackgrass has a strong root system. I am not sure how to tell the difference though. I have clumps of grass on my lawn that grow taller than the rest and I don't know what it is.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Are you sure it is quackgrass and not crabgrass? I read that quackgrass has a strong root system. I am not sure how to tell the difference though. I have clumps of grass on my lawn that grow taller than the rest and I don't know what it is.

I havent a clue. Its everywhere including the neighbors lawns. I put crabgrass killer on it and it didnt die, so I dont know.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Quackgrass.jpg

I would do the paint brush with round-up and see how that works. The roots are tricky.

Cy4Patriots

Jan 10, 2011

how-to-get-rid-of-quackgrass.jpg

Quackgrass

sm-crabgrass-074.jpg

Crabgrass

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
Quack Grass vs Crabgrass | DoItYourself.com

I didn't know the difference between quack and crabgrass until someone pointed it out in this thread. Quackgrass grows more upright, while crabcrass stays lower to the ground. I'm thinking that mat in my front yard is quackgrass. It appears the only way to get rid of it is roundup.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
So I have a nice mixture of both. Awesome.

MNclone

Apr 10, 2006
Burnsville, MN
extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h510creepingcharlie.html

I found that 2-4-D in the fall took care of the CC at my place.

pru4isu

Oct 5, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Monsanto makes a product called Certainty that helps control Quackgrass. Expensive application. The active ingredient is called Sulfosulfuron. The label actually says "supression only" on it for control of Quackgrass but a few of the places I have sold it to say it works pretty well. Comes in a 1.25 ounce bottle. That size bottle will treat 1 acre worth of turf. Around 120 dollars for the bottle. Quackgrass is tough to get rid of though.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron