Best helmets of Big12

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
So what exactly is the difference between Oklahoma Kansas and Baylor. Just letters on a helmet. Might as well have picked teams with the most success.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
Serious question: why do people always seem to judge helmets by how little they change?

Additionally, would this make every single "helmet ranking" an example of the mere exposure effect (psychology)?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It kind of sounds like we'd be ranked higher if we'd had our current logo/uniforms longer. I don't get his love for OSU either, but I just personally hate orange and black as a color scheme.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Question: in an article about helmet logos, why do they show three schools' logos - Missouri, Oklahoma State, and Kansas - that aren't even on their helmets?

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
"And I'll take those bonus points. My general rule for college football's best helmets is pretty simple: If your helmet design is that great, you won't change it and you won't have alternates. Oregon is my one exception, but the Ducks didn't make my list. Here's my top 10 nationally:"

Roughly translated: "If you are good and/or have been good for years. You win. This poll had nothing to do with what they look like."

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
Whatever. A highly subjective ranking on a highly subjective subject.

Personally, while I'm not fond of KSU, I do like the powercat, and I prefer helmet designs that reflect the nickname. So the only ones I really like are KSU and Texas.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
I really like KSU's helmet and logo too. Weird. Kansas and Missouri have awful helmets in my opinion.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Texas and KSU are where they belong on that list. The rest is a toss up IMO.

Texas has the best helmet in football. Oregon is trying to take that over, though.

ferdnand1

Mar 24, 2006
Serious question: why do people always seem to judge helmets by how little they change?

Additionally, would this make every single "helmet ranking" an example of the mere exposure effect (psychology)?

Helmet logos are branding....they signify a history, tradition, a presence, a familiarity.......an IDENTIFICATION nationally

That is why it's so fricking frustration when the logo-changing loving ISU crowd (and the uniform-changing cult) want to redesign our logo every four years.

Obviously, these people flunked Marketing 101. They want to TINKER with it just for the sake of tinkering

Leave our f-ing helmet logo alone... people. good god. Does OU, NU, Iowa, Michigan, USC, Penn St, Texas--- change their fricking logo every four years?

think about it.

Why wouldn't some of these schools just follow some ISU fans 'sage advice' and change their helmet logo? Michigan? That thing has been around since high button shoes. CHANGE MICHIGAN'S LOGO!!!!

I think this is the biggest mystery of our generation.

duhhhhhhh

Last edited:

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
Cant tell its summer can you? IMO its Texas, maybe K-State if their color wasnt purple...Colorado would be a #2 if they were still in the league, then all other schools. For the big twelve its like ranking the best typing fonts

1. Calbri
2. Arial
3. Texas A&M....etc

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
If the Iowa Hawkeyes and Kansas Jayhawks ever played each other in a football game, it would like a game between a JV Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
It's a fun off-season post by Ubben, but I can't even find time to argue with the rankings — the specifics are distracting.

For ISU:
"Copycatting USC's jerseys is no good."

If it's about helmets, why does the overall uniform scheme matter?

Example: I don't much like Michigan's helmets at all — home game uniform package looks really, really good.

Related note: He says Missouri "ripped off Michigan's 'block-M' as if U-M has the block-M on the helmet.

Texas helmet as No. 1 is kind of a no-brainer, though (as much as I hate to admit it!)— longevity, simplicity, specific and unique.

Here's my current Big 12 helmet ranking:
1. UT
2. Missouri
3. OU
4. Iowa State (still would benefit from more contrast if it weren't red logo on red background ... plenty of threads exist for this argument)
5. A&M (despite the easy ATM joke we all love)
6. Baylor
7. Tech (kind of silly, but at least it's remained historically consistent
8. Kansas (KU has had basically 2 helmets -- the Jayhawk and KU --- at least the bird is unique and instantly recognizable)
9. Oklahoma State.
10. Kansas State. I still think that's a s***** logo. Purple/silver looks sharp, though — but I hate that color combo, too.

Reactions: CyBobby

el tornado

Mar 23, 2006
we didn't copy USC's uniforms...
We gave a design to NIKE that resembled our uniforms from the 70s when Earl Bruce was here and Nike made them like USC's. Like they were giving us hand-me-downs from our big brother.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
according to my friend in bellevue (i went to hs with this guy)...

KneeBraskee or if you must good old NU has the best looking helmet in the WORLD...:twitcy:

and remember there are only 2 tickets left on the martha bus to lincoln ne the day after thanxgiving.....@ $950 ....:twitcy:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron