First Preseason College Magazine!

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Oct 14, 2007
Ames
The Athlon preseason mag is now on sale at Barnes and Noble in DSM. They have us going 4-8 (2-7) and finishing 8th in the conference.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I used to buy all the college football magazines that I could get my hands on. The first one I quit buying was Athlon. They seem to know next to nothing about the real teams, and their reviews, at best, read like a compilation of 6 month old newspaper articles.

temperflare

Jul 9, 2007
Bondurant
I used to buy all the college football magazines that I could get my hands on. The first one I quit buying was Athlon. They seem to know next to nothing about the real teams, and their reviews, at best, read like a compilation of 6 month old newspaper articles.

When I saw the first magazine was Athlon I wasn't surprised and for the exact reasons you describe above.

However, being "first" means a lot of football-starved people fall over each other trying to get to it. IMO, that is probably the ONLY reason that magazine sells.

Like a previous poster said, I wait for Phil Steele's magazine.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Like a previous poster said, I wait for Phil Steele's magazine.
Yeah. And it's too bad there isn't anything decent.

Too bad that Blue Ribbon doesn't do a football book, too. At least, the Blue Ribbon of a few years ago.

The Sporting News annual used to be better before they were bought out by Street & Smith's--which I realized about high school was about Athlon level--if that.

As far as Athlon's prediction--it probably went to press even before Spring ball, so you can't expect a lot. They're just trying to get that early slice of the market.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
The Athlon preseason mag is now on sale at Barnes and Noble in DSM. They have us going 4-8 (2-7) and finishing 8th in the conference.

One can deduce that they think ISU will win at UConn. So that's a small positive.

Phil Steele is the one pre-season mag still worth the money. Just an orgy of data.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I don't feel like I get much out of Steele's mag once I wander outside the Big 12.

Then its a bunch of faceless names and what they did 3-5 years ago. I'll bet Brett Myer will be name dropped from at least his senior season stats...as Steele reigns in his next write up using a lot of the same material he published last year, and the year before, and probably the year before that.

I like the effort, and stats, and such but its a bunch of fluff. Its nearly painful reading for me for more than about 1 or 2 team reviews. Kudos to them for what they do, but I guess the allure of all that stat happy stuff from Steele has worn off for me.

There, I put it in writing.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
4-8 would be ok. I would settle for that. 6 wins would be amazing with next years O. I am so freaking pumped for FB to start!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron