Good roads to speed on

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
Anybody know any good roads in Iowa to speed on where there usually arent many cops? I know 20 between 35 and Waterloo is a bad place to speed cause I see a ton of cops on there, but I drove on 17 between 30 and 20 this weekend and didnt see one cop.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Anybody know any good roads in Iowa to speed on where there usually arent many cops? I know 20 between 35 and Waterloo is a bad place to speed cause I see a ton of cops on there, but I drove on 17 between 30 and 20 this weekend and didnt see one cop.

Interesting topic. You just into some recreational speeding or like to have a general layout of where you can go a little faster?

bpmcclain

Nov 17, 2010
Ames
Interesting topic. You just into some recreational speeding or like to have a general layout of where you can go a little faster?

Pretty much a general layout. Usually Ill only go about 5 over, but if Im on a road where there isnt much traffic then Ill go 10-15 over

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010

Old US 69 between Bethany and Pattonsburg in Missouri. Very curvy, hilly, narrow, one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the country. But no cops, so go for it.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I just drove from CF to I-35 Sunday at 75-80 and did not see any enforcers.

The last eighty miles on I-80 into Council Bluffs can be driven at 85-90 mph. I followed a nice fellow yesterday who proved it.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Highway 52 going north out of Dubuque is a great road to speed on. I also recommend you wait until a rainy day and forget wearing your seat-belt.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN

The last eighty miles on I-80 into Council Bluffs can be driven at 85-90 mph. I followed a nice fellow yesterday who proved it.

Got ticketed on I35 north of Ankeny two weeks ago. Don't remember mile marker but he was sitting between the on-ramp and the roadway on the cutout. 35 is uphill towards the exchange so by the time you see them they already have you on LIDAR.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro

Maybe so up until about five or six miles outside of CB. Every time I have been through there I always see troopers and sheriffs along that stretch.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Highway 52 going north out of Dubuque is a great road to speed on. I also recommend you wait until a rainy day and forget wearing your seat-belt.
Might as well shotgun a few beers before you get in the car, too.

:jimlad:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
There was only one road back to L.A. - U.S. Interstate 15. Just a flat-out high speed burn through Baker and Barstow and Berdoo. Then onto the Hollywood Freeway, and straight on into frantic oblivion. Safety. Obscurity. Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I got busted in on Highway 20 in Grundy County a couple of weeks ago. Here are my recommendations:

#1 Drive something that doesn't draw attention.

#2 Only use the left lane for passing and then immediately move over. People that sit in the left lane are just asking for a ticket,

#3 The times when no one else is on the road is probably the worst time to speed. This is what happened to me on highway 20. 1am in the morning and not a person on the road except the cop :)

#4 9mph over on highways is almost always a safe speed for not getting a ticket. I've driven a lot in my life and have never been pulled over for anything less than 10 over. In town I rarely exceed the speed limit. If the speed limit is 35 than that's pretty much what I drive.

#5 If you do get pulled over don't make excuses. Just treat the cop nicely and they'll probably give you a warning or drop the speed. A lot of yes sir/no sir is a good start. They are just doing their job and I broke the law so I have no reason to be ****** at them.

I bought one of these last week. Not foolproof by any means but better than nothing.
valentine-one.jpg

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA

I drive 17 pretty regularly and I would recommend against going too much over as I see cops at least once a week. Although that doesn't seem to slow anyone else down :rolleyes: so I usually average a near death experience a month due to idiots passing at bad times

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Maybe so up until about five or six miles outside of CB. Every time I have been through there I always see troopers and sheriffs along that stretch.
They have a trooper office in the CB area at the ridge of the sand hills, but they do not seem very active. I agree with the Ankeny area as I like to be several cars behind a leader, and I think I-380 is the pits no matter what you do through CR. I am very careful on I-380. The lower volume 20 is fairly safe.

I like to run behind California cars having gals because they are the ones that get pulled over first. I also slow down going over ridges on game days.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
There was only one road back to L.A. - U.S. Interstate 15. Just a flat-out high speed burn through Baker and Barstow and Berdoo. Then onto the Hollywood Freeway, and straight on into frantic oblivion. Safety. Obscurity. Just another freak, in the freak kingdom.
Lived in Southern California a few years back. Five of us use to make the grand tour on I-15 up to Vegas on the weekend. We always had a designated driver who drove very fast. The good old days on the weekend.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Hwy 30 between Tama and CR seems to be pretty safe. Most everyone drives it at about 10-12 over. I go about 8-10 over, and get passed a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.