2 Des Moines' sandwiches on ESPN Fanwich poll

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
ESPN is featuring not one, but two, Des Moines sandwiches in its latest competition
1:58 PM, May 11, 2011 | by Sean Keeler

Hey, kids: Want to send Adam Emmenecker to ESPN?

Thanks to a new contest on Facebook, you can. But he’s going to need your help.
The former Drake point guard helped pilot the Bulldogs back to the NCAA Tournament in 2008, but his spirit/legacy/carbohydrates live on in Jethro’s “The Emmenecker,†a multi-meat deathtrap of a sandwich that was featured prominently last year in an episode of the Travel Channel’s “Man vs. Food.†(Host Adam Richman attempted Jethro’s “Adam Emmenecker Challenge,†in which the 5-pound beast and side of fries must be devoured in 15 minutes or less. He busted.)
Link to full article: ESPN is featuring not one, but two, Des Moines sandwiches in its latest competition | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Saw the thread title and immediately knew which sandwhich 1 of them would be.

Jethro's really hit it out of the park naming that sandwhich after Adam. Tons of free publicity. Man vs food, ESPN, word of mouth, etc.

Reactions: AlleyAddict

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
My favorite sandwich shop in DSM, and I don't even like cold sandwiches, except this one: And there’s another local sandwich that’s creeping up the top 10 list — “The Zach Johnson,” served at the Manhattan Deli.

In fact Zach was there eating a couple months after his Master's win, when he took a picture with Vito. Very cool, family-run business.

Last edited:

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
I haven’t tried either sandwich. Probably not interested in the Emmenecker (for practical reasons), but should try the Zach Johnson sometime soon.

Last time I checked the standings both were in the top 5. The Emmenecker had actually moved to #1.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If any CFers are ever in the QCA looking for a great sandwich the reuben sandwich at the Belgian Village (on the hill in Moline) is a local legend. They make their own bread. No kidding, it is the size of a flattened basketball.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
If any CFers are ever in the QCA looking for a great sandwich the reuben sandwich at the Belgian Village (on the hill in Moline) is a local legend. They make their own bread. No kidding, it is the size of a flattened basketball.

I think this is more about a popularity contest regarding sandwiches associated with sport’s figures (thus the ESPN connection) . I’m not sure these are even the two best sandwiches in DM.

Nov 9, 2009
Ames
I split the Emmenecker with a coworker last fall, and can say that it was absolutely awesome. Very worthy of winning this if it does so.

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
I split the Emmenecker with a coworker last fall, and can say that it was absolutely awesome. Very worthy of winning this if it does so.

I tried the Adam Emmenecker Challenge....got 2/3 of the sandwich done in the allotted....It is the best of all the sandwiches in one.....